Senator Schumer takes aim at violent video game

I saw this on TV last night and just changed the channel.

OK, I'm not in favor of violent games, but c'mon, is Washington this bored? How about them figuring out and getting the stem cell issues sorted out so that people can benefit from it.

But no, that would be too easy. Instead, they're focusing on video games. I fail to see how a violent video game is any different from a violent movie (e.g. Sin City).

It's another guy in a minority (not racial) asking for something tat WON'T happen.

Have these guys understood that limiting these games is limiting a form of speech?

This guy, I've been hearing his name way too much and it's starting to piss me off.

How does he even know what this game is if it hasn't been released yet?

Freyar,politicians,especially the older ones,do not want to know what they are talking about,

if they see such an serious and"investigative"/sarcasm report on CBS and then see how many parents are nodding their heads [because its very easy to get rid of their responsibilty to pay attention to their children ,as its all these bad and violent games causing all the problems,it couldn't be that the parents are falsely educating their children/sarcasm)

then these politicians are happy that they can improve their popularity by saying world-important sentences like"All these Killergames have to be forbidden"(its a quote from the typical CDU politician in germany,just to give you a clue how crazy it is in germany:C&C Generals has been forbidden in germany,till westwood sent out an updated version for german's retail in which you do not have any humans,but are fighting robots,with green blood,and most cutscenes with human actors have been removed cause as a mature person you cannot see the difference between reality and gaming lol).No,in fact I guess its most everywhere like that,before the computer was invented it was the radio that caused hell to come on earth and then the TV and to be continued forever... :/

quote:

Originally posted by Freyar:

This guy, I've been hearing his name way too much and it's starting to piss me off.

Yeah, him and Hilary Clinton are bossom buddies. Wonder if he's got sights on running on Hilary's presidential ticket as VP? Welcome to NY politics. I hate them all.

I never knew anything about this game until I read the article. Can't wait for it myself. Right now, I'm in the middle of playing GTA: San Andreas for the PC. I haven't had this much violent fun since Kingpin. It's the best GTA so far. I'm thinking of calling it Kingpin 2.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it MR CHUCKY!!! Oh yeah I forgot you banned that too. #$@$#$% (seven letter expletive that rhymes with Chuck) Moron.

The biggest point is. By what right do they pass laws like this? By what right do they tell you all what you can see or what you can play? Do you live in China or do you live in US or Europe? How about all of you who posted in this thread, go and send an e-mail or make a phone call to Schumers office and ask him by what right he is censoring what you can watch and play, and if he is working for a communist government. Tell him you have had enough of him and his kind, and then mabye we will stop hearing about BS like this, and even people in Germany might get to play SoF the way it was meant to be played.

I've no further use for professioanl politicians of any stripe. They are all ALWAYS running for re-election and this is clearly a ploy to cover someone schilling for votes. Will someone create a game where we can chase elected officials around while shoving red hot pokers up there asses?

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

I'm sorry but that is total nonsense. *every* degenerate thing under the sun that people want to do is not Licenced by Free Speach. That was intended for POLITICAL FREE SPEACH.

But its not used for that anymore. The current perverse generation has twisted it all to hell so they can leagaly say and do every perverted twisted sick thing that comes into their heads and make a profit from it.

Children are Influenced by the world around them. Games currently being a *big* part of it. I am about sick of the current push towards allowing people to do outright criminal acts, and abusive acts, and sick acts to innocent people as a major focus of a *game*.

Its time people realize that we are programable computers. If you allow this kind of thing to go unchecked it will end in a very, very sad condition for the entire country. A place imo we are already headed on greased rails.

1)Its not logically proven (he kills in game -> he kills in real life is not a valid argument,there's no logical connection)

2)Its not scientifically proven(no research states that people who use violence in games tend to use violence in RL more).

So you're just being emotional(backed up by a simple and invalid argument).Sorry but thats not enough to decide what other people should or should not do...

I don't know how this is handled in the U.S but in germany movies are considered art,video games not.According to that the movie Saving Private Ryan

is allowed to be seen up from the age of 16 whereas the game medal of honor is forbidden to be bought in germany,though dealing with quite the same subject.

@ paranide,

You're talking about the US-version of MoH, and I guess it's forbidden for the swastikas, not violence in game.

And YES WE ALL LOVE CENSORSHIP!

remembering especially c&c:

"Ich verliere Servo-Öl"

Ah, yes, who can forget the glorious german Half-Life version, robots instead of soldiers, just vanishing bodies and...

GREEN BLOOD....

Then suddenly much more realistic games such as "Raven Shield" is rated for ages 16 and older.

oh no sparky,how could you do that to me..

I tried to forget this ugly german half-life version and I had sucess in that until now...*shudders*

Though you have forgotten half-life's scientists who would sit down shaking their heads when killed.The BjPS should have earned a medal for pulling this

YES, and they even BLOCKED your way, it was so cool when they died in a doorway, NOT ALLOWING YOU TO PASS THROUGH...

ah, I remember cursing the bpjs so often for so many castrated games...