Distribution Revolution Q&A on Game Cloud

Hmmm, they still are not releasing and financial reports about the sales via steam. I read that in another article you posted recently as well.

quote:

Doug Lombardi - So far, Steam has been solely a Valve venture. However, we're extending the many opportunities Steam affords to third parties and we're happy to distribute any developer or publisher's games via Steam.

Do you think you could or would use them to release your next line up of games?

Ah, again two more good articles. Thanks SC.

quote:

Brad Wardell -I think there is some truth to this. The PC industry has some issues it needs to resolve if it's going to remain viable. On a console game, I can put the disc in the machine and start playing the game. Increasingly, PC games require you install several CDs first, then download some patch to fix the bugs in teh game, and then you still end up having to sift through several CDs to find the right one to stick in the drive to play the actual game. That's a lot of hassle.

This may have been true before. But the majority of the games I've purchased recently have been released on DVD (thank god). Alleviating the need for multiple CD's. As for sticking the right CD in to play the game. He's got that right. A few games in the past that had two or more CD's weren't marked which one was the PLAY CD. You know how many times I put the wrong disk in but some games did have the disk clearly labeled "PLAY DISK". As for the patching of games, I think that's the one thing that makes a PC more viable than a console.

quote:

Brad Wardell - I think so. For major games, I think retail is still key for most of them. But as electronic distribution channels mature, I think you'll see niche titles coming back. For instance, they say adventure games are no longer viable to make. Well, that's true if you're a game developer who only makes $7 per game because it's sold at retail. But that same game, priced the same, could bring in $25 per unit if sold electronically. Suddenly you don't need to sell nearly as many units to make a profit.

That is so true. I started out on the PC playing adventure games. I love the genre. I'd kill for a great adventure game. I know I'm not the only one out there in this repect. We've been brainwashed by the industry that the adventure genre is dead only because it wouldn't fit into their bottom line. Take for example MYST. The game is still kicking and does very well. How does the industry explain this if as they say the adventure genre is dead.

quote:

Brad Wardell - Right now internet distribution of PC games is having to hash it out over digital rights management (DRM). We believe that DRM is a significant obstacle for acceptance of PC games electronically because users feel like they're not getting enough rights to the game. If the game developers/publishers can work it out such that a person who buys a game electronically can expect to be able to install it on their home computers for years to come without any hassle, then I think you'll see electronic distribution take off.

Again true. I've gone back into my game collection and replayed games I haven't played in years. Also, if these guys only knew how many times I redo my OS installation and reinstall applications, including games, back onto the computer.

As for piracy, that's an issue not only for the Pc but consoles as well. The Pc is a bit easier to pirate games on because the consoles need some sort of mod chip or other such method to be able to play downloaded and burnt games.

quote:

Brad Wardell -I think there is some truth to this. The PC industry has some issues it needs to resolve if it's going to remain viable. On a console game, I can put the disc in the machine and start playing the game. Increasingly, PC games require you install several CDs first, then download some patch to fix the bugs in teh game, and then you still end up having to sift through several CDs to find the right one to stick in the drive to play the actual game. That's a lot of hassle.

I guess I'm the odd one out, but multiple CD installs don't really bother me. Even with many CD's (6+), the time it takes to install the game can be put to good use by using the time to read the manual.

As far as finding the right CD when many exist. I have yet to find a game that had not numbered the CD's or at least marked the "play" CD.

I would have to agree with LostInSpace that patching makes PC's more viable, but I would like to note that the Xbox allows patching and I would suspect the next gen. of consoles will continue to allow patching.

quote:

Originally posted by jamotto:

1:I guess I'm the odd one out, but multiple CD installs don't really bother me. Even with many CD's (6+), the time it takes to install the game can be put to good use by using the time to read the manual.

2:As far as finding the right CD when many exist. I have yet to find a game that had not numbered the CD's or at least marked the "play" CD.

3:I would have to agree with LostInSpace that patching makes PC's more viable, but I would like to note that the Xbox allows patching and I would suspect the next gen. of consoles will continue to allow patching.

1:Actually, I don't mind it either but it is a heck of a lot easier having the game media on a DVD.

2:I'll have to go thru my extensive collection of games to get you a list of mine that don't. Off hand, I think I remember OUTCAST as one of the culprits which has two cd's and I think you play with Disk 2 but it doesn't say that on the game disk which are labeled 1 and 2.

3: You are correct. I was going to mention that but figured let someone else have a comment on that point. I also forgot to mention game Mod's for the PC. Do you know if that will be available on the upcoming new generation consoles?

quote:

1:Actually, I don't mind it either but it is a heck of a lot easier having the game media on a DVD.

I guess one of these days I will have to break down and get me a DVD player.

quote:

2:I'll have to go thru my extensive collection of games to get you a list of mine that don't. Off hand, I think I remember OUTCAST as one of the culprits which has two cd's and I think you play with Disk 2 but it doesn't say that on the game disk which are labeled 1 and 2.

heh, well if it's as large as mine we might not hear from you for a couple of days or more.

quote:

3: You are correct. I was going to mention that but figured let someone else have a comment on that point. I also forgot to mention game Mod's for the PC. Do you know if that will be available on the upcoming new generation consoles?

That is a very good question. I do know that some X-box games have added new content like new robots, but as far as an outright Mod that changes the overall game, I don't know. Someone who is more console savvy will have to answer that question.

• 2 weeks later...