Falcon 4.0 : Allied Force

I've been a Falcon junkie since Falcon 3 was released. I had read about this new one somewhere a while back but had forgotten about it.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention, SC. Ordered my copy today with free shipping to boot.

Hmm..there seems to be enough of us getting it...maybe we oughta start a 3000AD Falcon squadron!

Do you have the latest direct X. I see in your profile you have Dx9b the current one is 9c. Also, make sure your video card drivers are up to date and most importantly scan your hard drive for any spyware etc.. Uninstall the game Then do a chkdsk and defrag on whatever drive you are installing the game to. Ah heck, do a check disk and defrag on all your drives if ya got em. I found out more than not once people do this (cleaning the hard drive and doing maintenance on it) solved their problems. Once you do all the hard drive stuff re-install the game and see what happens before ya give up on it.

quote:

Originally posted by LostInSpace:

Do you have the latest direct X. I see in your profile you have Dx9b the current one is 9c. Also, make sure your video card drivers are up to date and most importantly scan your hard drive for any spyware etc.. Uninstall the game Then do a chkdsk and defrag on whatever drive you are installing the game to. Ah heck, do a check disk and defrag on all your drives if ya got em. I found out more than not once people do this (cleaning the hard drive and doing maintenance on it) solved their problems. Once you do all the hard drive stuff re-install the game and see what happens before ya give up on it.

All of the above except defrag is done already. The hard drive is a new 200 gb and Falcon 4 is the only thing on it.

I'm not giving up on it, just going to wait till patch one is out. My gaming time is limited and troubleshooting time even more so.

I was so ready for this game too, sigh.

quote:

Originally posted by Andergum:

I'm getting nothing but buffer overrun CTD's.

Shelving this one until a patch comes out.

Gummy, try updating to the *latest* DirectX 9.0c from the June 2005 SDK distro. MS screwed up with some D3DX DLLs (see my latest UC VCF entry) and that may be the cause if the game uses D3DX and you don't have the required DLLs. You can grab the DLLs over here I think and apply them after applying the latest DX 9.0c (well, its 'd', but MS isn't saying so). I will be including them in the upcoming UC patch.

quote:

Originally posted by ShoHashi:

Hmm..there seems to be enough of us getting it...maybe we oughta start a 3000AD Falcon squadron!

Good idea!!! I can even setup an mp server, since I have a spare machine and tons of bandwidth.

My copy shipped out from GoGamer on July 1st and should be here on the 5th. The wait is killing me. But I'm not uninstalling my current F4 version until I get that box in my hands. Too bad we're not going to get that nice spiral manual that came with the original F4. Man, that was the manual of all manuals.

Thanks SC, I figured out what was going wrong.

I installed the game and just wanted to try out some instant action in "easy" mode since I didn't have time to drag out the old Falcon 4 binder manual and re-figure out how to target air and ground targets again.

There is something screwed up with the easy avionics and changing targets. When you switch targets you get the buffer over run CTD if the target you are switching to is either just leaving the radar screen or has just been destroyed.

Using the realistic targeting works fine and I haven't had a single CTD since.

Also note that using 4xAA with an Nvidia card (maybe others) causes the opening movie and game menu to start with a blank screen. 2XAA and 8xAA work fine though.

Whew, I think I would have spent less time dragging out the manual than wading through all this stuff.

At least its working now.

• 2 weeks later...

Good God Almighty!!

All that I have done so far is just fly around in instant action for a bit but my first impression is definitely self evident. LIQUID SMOOTH WITH LIGHTNING RESPONSE! This is gonna be great! Monster indeed Spin.

Lemme see.....UCAWA, Falcon 4.0:AF, and Grand Prix 4 or F1 Challenge 1999-2002. Put me on a desert island (with a broadband connection of course ), and then stick a fork in me cuz I'd be done!

Oh yeah, I'd need hardware upgrades air dropped to me as new versions of these great sims came out.

• 2 weeks later...

The first patch is avail using the Falcon 4 update program.

List of fixes...

Updates to 2D cockpits

Aligning HUD in wideview blk 40 cockpit

HSI instruments lighting in down view (panel 100)

Graphics anomaly popping up when damaged in 11 oclock view in blk 40/50 pits

Changes to allow the cockpit buttons more visibility at night.

Some missing ATC fragments in the debrief list added.

Remove the vehicle magnification option from the MP screen.

Instruments lighting keystoke Shift-Ctrl-L fixed

Reset Track IR keystroke added Alt-C, T

Minor fix to formatting of connection speeds

Correct weather help button test.

Fix for airbase distance.

Coordinates added to the recon screen.

Some errors in the TACREF corrected.

AAA batallion removed from training mission 19.

Training mission 2 changed to allow for ramp starts.

Fix for some TE editing crashes.

Allow OSBs to step the weapons in HARM mode.

Fix for loading log book patches.

Glance forward/back now work with TrackIR enabled.

Various Alt-Tab errors caught.

A-G Radar preformance improved.

Fix for OCA target missing crash.

Fix for AI taxiing when changing steerpoint (ramp start).

Fix for combat Autopilot requiring double toggle in some cases.

Fix for ATC aborting players on final approach.

Fix for helicopter getting killed after exiting 3-d.

Remove spurious popups over airbases.

Fixed problem of AI not firing mavericks in multiplayer.

Landing help removed in dogfight and instant action.

ATC introduce more time between landings if departing aircraft are late.

Takeoff button now places you on the runway unless you are in a queue.

Fix for AI ignoring certain ATC instructions.

TrackIR no longer supported in 2-d cockpit

Fix for switching missile types in dogfight mode.

Fix for crash in simplified avionics with the R key.

Fix HUD range readout when guns selected

Allow rudder keyboard keys to work regardless of joystick controls.

Fix for dark horizon strip when making large yaw movements.

ACMI delete option now deletes the files.