Freespace 2 Revival

quote:

Originally posted by Joel Schultz:

Well, I be a huntin' on eBay now. I might resort to HotU if all else fails, but would rather get the real deal if possible...

Holy Kripes! Has anyone checked out these prices!

Amazon: Freespace 2

$150 bucks for a new copy. I should have bought two of them back then. One for playing and the other for keepers.

Anyway, what really caught my eye other than the star wars mod is the Babylon5 mod.

The Babylon Project

[ 08-08-2005, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: LostInSpace ]

quote:

Originally posted by Prez:

What always makes me wonder is how can a game that sold so poorly be in such demand now? Moreover, if people are really willing to pay $150 for a copy, perhaps an official re-release is in order?

Trust me it's an awesome game. To me, it's the falcon 4.0 of space sims. I wouldn't pay $150 for it unless I was going to keep it pristine as a collectible. Why it didn't sell well is beyond me. It is a tough game. All you have to do is try the training simulation gauntlets to understand what I'm talking about. I just came out from there and dang it I'm outa practice. I use to be able to smoke the gauntlets. I forgot how addictive the game was and I think that's why I put it away. Dang it! The addiction is back.

I bet you the development house that picks up or has picked up the rights to freespace will not be at all sorry if they develop a Freespace3 with todays game technology. As long as they stay true to the game franchise. Even a re-release.

I'm going to try the Babylon5 mod next just to see what it's all about and I'll let you know.

quote:

Originally posted by Prez:

Lost: I already have it, and have played it some; I just can't understand why it didn't do that well - I agree it IS awesome.

Thanks in advance for letting me know about the Babylon 5 mod.

Excellent job! I never thought I'd ever play a great Babylon 5 game in my lifetime. Well here it is. The newer mod is stand-alone. You don't need Freespace 2 installed at all. It's a 262mb download. Using bit torrent, it took around 30min to download.

Ship models are dead on as are the sounds. The jump points look just like in the series. So far, haven't encounter any problems like CTD's in either this B5 mod or the FSP mod.

• 2 weeks later...

OK - me too (got off eBay).

Next question: I'm anxious to try playing FS2. However, I hear lots of good things about FS2_OPEN. I even went so far as to DL the source code -- I've never seen a game's source before (more on that in another topic).

My big issue is I'm probably a bit of a purist when the whim strikes me and the whim is striking me now: if I put on FS2_Open on top of a FS2 install, what is that changing exactly? Is the campaign plot changed? What is being gained by FS2_Open? Am I "losing" anything?