R* sued over GTA: San Andreas

quote:

NEW YORK --A woman upset that she bought the video game "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" for her 14-year-old grandson without knowing it contained hidden, sexually explicit scenes sued the manufacturer Wednesday on behalf of consumers nationwide.....Cohen said in the suit that she bought the game in late 2004 for her grandson when it was rated "M" for mature, for players 17 and older. According to the suit, she directed that it be taken away from her grandson, which was done.

But she had no problem buying her 14-year old grandson a game that was rated 'M' and intended for people 17 and older. Hipocrit. I guess she figures this is a good way to try to make a quick buck. Maybe Hilary should spend her time a little more wisely and work at getting those who buy these games for under-aged people held responsible.

This subject riles up my disgust with people every time I hear it. THE GAME IS CALLED "GRAND THEFT AUTO" for Christ's sake. Also, there are pictures on the box clearly depicting gangs, firearms, and drive-by shootings. Take all of this and couple it with the fact that it has M rating for people ages 17+, and it should be comically obvious that THIS GAME IS NOT FREAKIN' MARIO KART! Don't buy it for your damn kids!

...Sorry. I get a little upset about this issue. Money-grubbing low-lives and irresponsible parents just get my goat every time.

Yes, Rockstar got lazy and simply disabled something that should have been removed entirely. But its still painfully obvious that this old geezer is just jumping on the "video-games killed my baby" bandwagon to make a quick buck. She bought the game for her grandkid quite some time ago, and had no complaints about senseless killing, hookers, drug consumption, gangs, and lastly car theft. But now "OMG SEX GAME WITH SHODDY CHARACTER MODELS WITH THEIR CLOTHES ON OMG!! MY GRANDSON'S INNOCENCE IS STOLEN! DAMN YOU!" My disgust with people continues to reach new heights each and every day. I swear to god when I get out of college with my engineering degree I'm going to build an army of terminators and kill pretty much everybody with them.

I mean seriously, what else do people want? There's a label on the box clearly stating what age-group this game is for. Maybe we should just remove the boxart for all video games and instead place a giant warning label in its place. Maybe that'll catch somebody's attention. But probably not. Oh well.

The old coot will probably win, too? I mean why not. We have people suing McDonalds because they spilled their coffee on themselves. We have people suing fast-food chains for making them fat. "Video-games turned my son into a raving psycho?" Sure, why not.

Hmm, she didn't have any problem with the other aspects of the game, even the suggestive sex, but hidden sex content she does. Arrrrrrrrrrgghhhh!!!

I didn't see anywhere in her complaint that the hidden content was even unlocked by her or the kid. Wtf is she doing buying a game rated 17+ for a 14 year old anyway. I hope her and her lawyer and the case gets tossed out on their arses.

Can we sue her for wasting court time and bringing a frivolous law suit into court?

The Hot Coffee mod was a violation of the EULA and this person who at 85 should be able to think like an adult and obviously doesn't, bought a game that was already unsuitable for her grandchild. Now she complains because it's a little more unsuitable than she thought it was??? Someone please tell me why we are the only ones who are using our brains on this! Can we sue her for ignorance?

Maybe Child Protective Services should be called in to investigate whether she should be buying video games for her grandson anyway. What about the kids parents? Where are they? Hold them responsible also. This lady is not the victim, her grandson is and SHE made this so! Dammit, I wish I could call her and give her a piece of my mind, but I'm not sure she would understand because she can't even read the bold, black MA-17 rating symbol.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

Work retail. Witness it first hand.

I'm with you brother, and know whereof you speak. Sometimes I think that the world is full of mostly dumbasses and only a few actual smart and thoughtful people.

Damn, I'm mad about this! *deep breath* Rant over.

I did work retail. I worked in an arts and crafs store, and there I witnessed the worst kind of customer. The uesless coupon-clipping soccermom that's angry and disgruntled because her life has lost all purpose. Those are truly sad souls to behold, my friends.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

lets get some disgust for people who sit around and dream up games with rape, senseless killings, murders, wanton stealaing and violence agaisnt innocence.

Then lets get some disgust at people who buy games like this for their Children. And no.. 17 year olds have no more buisines playing an immorality and violence against innocents simulator than 14 year olds. Or anyone else for thast mattter.

Why should a game like this even be made? just becuase people like it? of course they like it. its called *sin*. Look how far people have gone. Imagine trying to sell a game like this even 30 years ago.

I was sitting in the park on saturday listening to people as they walked by. I am not exagerating... every single group of kids that walked by droped at least one F bomb in my hearing. Every single one. 9 year olds, 14 year olds etc. I was just stunned as i sat their for about 20 min waiting for some people to show up. The media, games, movies etc play a huge part in where we have gotten to as a society today.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

quote:

Originally posted by DeepFreeze:

I did work retail. I worked in an arts and crafs store, and there I witnessed the worst kind of customer. The uesless coupon-clipping soccermom that's angry and disgruntled because her life has lost all purpose. Those are truly sad souls to behold, my friends.

So life rasing children now is meaningless and useless? Working some 9-5 is more meaningful than actually raising your kids and being involved in their lives? i suppose making a game like GRA is a much more meaningful practice to you eh? what a wat to fill the soul. Lets all simulate rape, murder and debauchery.

You are a prime example of what i am talking about. You want to talk about a sad soul? might want to take a deep look in the mirror.

Everyone has a certain morbid attraction to carnage that they don't talk about. How else can you explain rubbernecking on the highway? GTA has this sick, unspoken appeal to it because it allows us to do all the things we would never even dare to do in real life, and without consquence. I'm sure everyone here has had a day where they came home from their job fuming mad and wished they could go back to work and kill everyone. Well, we know you can't do that, but hey, here's GTA in your PS2.

I don't view violent videogames as helping to spawn decadence in our society. It often times is a good way to express those deep and buried angry fantasies we don't talk about. But hey, if you don't condone violent videogames (much in the same way, I'm strictly against my own use of drugs and alcohol in any form), well more power to you, man. But as far who "has business" playing it, I think that depends solely on the individual. I was probably about 14 when I got GTA3. However, my parents trusted me to let me play this game because they knew that I understood it was simply a game and nothing more. Not all 14 year olds have their head about their shoulders like I did, so having generalized age groups is not a good way to go about this. However, as this example has taught, people are too stupid to make this decision on their own, so I guess we have to stick to it.

Wow. Good job making an uncalled-for personal attack, Hellbinder. But as for your point, no, working a 9-5 job is not what I call a fulfilling life, and I'm doing everything I can to stay out of that rut that so many fall into. I refuse to be like my mother and her boyfriend: working some cubicle office job in the ass-end of nowhere, completely broken and defeated by life, just trying to make it through the day. No ambition. No desire to move forward. Just trying to make ends meet. Just going to work and doing the same shit job every day for 30 ****ing years. I refuse, and I'll burn in hell before I turn into that.

Raising your kids is by no means a pointless endeavor. However, these people that I speak of Hellbinder, live their lives with no purpose other than to reproduce and die, with menial hobbies like making scrapbooks of long-gone memories of how small and innocent their children used to be to pass the time. That is one of the worst things I can possibly imagine: having boredom be your only reason for getting out of bed, and to spawn more confused and aimless clones of yourself hoping they have more luck than you did.

As for me, I'm a bit young to know exactly what I want to do with my life. I do, however, have a crystal-clear picture of what I DON'T want. You hear people talk about how the years fly on by. Is it because they do, or is it because people are too willing to settle into the ordinary, and live in the fog of mediocrity? Do I want to be another guy who wakes up and realizes he's 55 and wonders where his life went? To have nothing to look back on but pictures and fond memories? Shit no.

If brain cells were football players...

Most people wouldn't have enough to field eleven guys to line up at acrimmage.

Everyone is extremely prone to pointing that finger of blame toward others, usually due to their own stupidity. What they don't realize is that pointing your finger leaves you with three more fingers pointing back at you.

Society in general is in a sad state and we have nobody to blame but ourselves, greedy lawyers, and stupid politicians.

If Gramma sues Rockstar and wins, then we will all know beyond a shadow of a doubt that America's courts suck!

DeepFreeze,

I'm with you brother. You seem balanced. Just remember that we need extremists like Hellbinder and those on the other end of the pendulum swing to define the arguments that you and I will find the answers to. They are as necessary as you and I and we should not take their unbridled emotion personally.

Someone I once knew said that there will always be a certain amount of suffering and evil in the world, and that's ok. I would add that there would be no good or pleasure without the other side of the coin to define them.

Keep peace among you brothers and sisters because Hellbinder is right about one thing.....the real enemy is out there. Note the extremes but keep the balance, for it is the only real truth .

quote:

Raising your kids is by no means a pointless endeavor. However, these people that I speak of Hellbinder, live their lives with no purpose other than to reproduce and die, with menial hobbies like making scrapbooks of long-gone memories of how small and innocent their children used to be to pass the time.

Not taking sides, Deepfreeze, but you might change your mind a bit when you have a few more years under your belt.

I have little doubt that you would take one look at my life and think it was as unfulfilling as the life you described above. But I can tell you, my "9-5" life IS fulfilling, in that it allows me to feed, clothe and house my wife and kids, which to me is as noble an endeavor as any I can think of. That, and raising some great kids whom I hope will do better and go farther than I did and will.

You might be surprised what one can find fulfilling.

Well, hey. I don't mean to belittle you, Prez. If that's what works for you, then go for it. As long as you're happy, that's all that really matters. As for me, it just scares the shit out of me to even entertain the notion for a second. That's the only thing I'm really afraid of. That my life will go by and I'll have done nothing with it. I don't want to end up like my parents did, y'know? Killing yourself everyday in an office and coming home and getting plastered just to make your life bearable, because you're too afraid to do anything about it. There's got to be another way to go about your life than under the thumb of some oppressive ******* who gets rich off of YOUR hard work. There HAS to be more. There HAS to be something better than that. And goddamnit, I'm going to find it. Sorry if I got emotional and perhaps overreacted. That's a very touchy subject for me.

And about the soccermom thing, there's nothing wrong with rasing your children. My father's wife used to be a pretty cool chick. But when she gave birth to my sister and became a full-time mommy, her life ended. Her journey is over. She is now a passenger in her daughter's. She didn't really have anything in her life before she got married, and it's like she gave up the keys before she even got in the car. And although I'm sure people disagree, to me, that's just a waste.

And uh... what did any of this have to do with Rockstar?

Both of you are saying the same thing. Fulfillment is where you find it. Pretty much anything can be fulfilling as long as it is not outright damaging to you.

Your right DeepFreeze, this thread has been hijacked and we should give it back.

Back on topic, I think people will continue to point to what politicians and lawyers are doing and start hollaring about first amendment rights and such. Things like "Parents should do a better job" usually get thrown around.

But consider: The latest Leisure Suit Larry had an AO release, and as far as I know, there hasn't been ANY litigation directed towards it or any calls for federal investigation. Is it that the game didn't sell well enough to make a stink about? Possibly. But I think the real issue was Rockstar's underhandedness and dishonesty that has led to their trouble. Just because you avail yourself of the 1st amendment rights you are given does not mean you have the right to deceive the ratings board and parents. Rockstar should have been smarter.