Star Wars: Empire At War

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a revolutionary RTS game for you: The Battle for Middle Earth (the second game is also coming out soon). For anyone whose ever played it you know how good the game combines awesome graphics, superior animation for basically every object in the game, and great game physics and model proportions (all units are exactly to size and reality hit points, etc...) Although this is a different RTS genre, I think this game would be awesome if it could incorporate characteristics like that.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

well I bought this recently when I went to Ocala for holiday. At first i thought it was boring, i was playing on campaign mode. then i said hell with this, and went to conquest mode.

its tense. the rebels are doing there crap while I do mine, without any "turns" dont have long to think. gotta act. and systems are strategic, because if he cuts you off in the middle then dont have a way to get new ships and ground units to the other side of your empire.

for the whole game me and the rebels have been fighting over ilum, trading it back and forth. ill post a picture when i get home to show you what I mean. I had to call it quits at 5 in the morning when the baby woke up

It always seems im on the verge of taking back and hold Ilum. I need to take other systems at the back of my empire, because the rebels are expanding and have 12, i have 7.

more systems = more money faster = more units can build.

I guess I can chime in, I picked this up a few days ago and I've been playing through the campaign to get aclimated.

The good: its SW rebellion lite. intergace is pretty easy to use has a feeling of polish to the galactic map. The game is very easy to mod (uses XML files for ship data) graphics are mind blowing but they still look pretty good. its pretty fun. unique systems for gaining tech for the rebels.

The bad: they unit cap both space and ground battles (ground makes more sense) unfortunately those caps are very small. Of a 20 ship fleet I was only able to bring in 3 cruisrs and 5 corvettes initially. You do have a reserve so as ships die you can replace them with more but it is frustrating not to bring in the huge fleets No base building and ground maps are pretty small. most of the time you will have 3 units until you are about 90% some with the map and can bring in another 5 or 6 if the world is big enough.

The Ugly: ground combat is very fast, with the wrong force composition you can lose in under a minute. The whole unit caps system is pretty ugly. There is a skirmish mode that lets you build a base and might be more of a traditional ground RTS. Camera rotation is locked in ground combat making it hard to get the view you need.

conclusion: high production value, nicly polished and balanced, overall pretty fun. Fans have created a few much needed mods too; there is a mod that frees the ground camera so it can be fully rotated, and a mod that rescales the ships to be more accurately size. The best one is a mod that ups the population cap in space combat so I can finally bring in all 10 tartan cruisers, 5 victory star desstroyers, and 2 aclimator cruisers without having to "deploy reinforcements"

There are several other mods that add ships and the like I've not tried.

quote:

Originally posted by Eclipse:

...Camera rotation is locked in ground combat making it hard to get the view you need.

There's a control in there for this, I've rotated and zoomed the camera often.

Also, I think the idea of the unit cap was to promote combined arms since you have to make sure that you have the right ratio of different kinds of units. (At least that's the way it forced ME to play.) This is an aesthetic issue however, and I didn't like it in Warcraft 3 for the same reason then. Try the imperial side if you want lots of space stuff, the tie squadrons are once the destroyers are deployed.

the game is fun SC. ive mentioned many games aren't hooking me anymore, this one almost didn't. had to force myself to stop again at 3 in the morning. but I dont expect the fun too last too much longer, maybe its a too good to be true feeling.

i like the unit cap, for me, traditional rts, I build and build hundreds of units before i attack, so i know once I attack its over. the unit cap forces you to think serious strategy and no units become obselete. Of course I love throwing in lots and lots of those cheap walkers on the front of an approaching land battle.

one thing that gets me, is the manual says you can't build units once engaged in a land battle. but every rebel planet I attack, they produce new units from there heavy factories and light factories and barracks. i didn't think it was really happening until last night when attacking a fortified rebel planet, i positioned my troops to take on what i thought would be all of the ground troops they had, after destroying so many of them with minimul losses they kept coming, so I pushed forward, and by now my forces were weak. those dreaded artillery things the rebels have is a pain in the butt, but sure enough they were producing from their factories, vehicles rolled out as I attacked.

i eventually became so weak that after destroying two factories, i had to land darth vador to finish them off. i got him to build a bacta structure close to the area, he was close to dying alot , but careful micromanagement of his force powers and healing, and calling in bombing runs i was able to finish it off.

why cant imperials build when under attack in land battles?

Guest Grayfox

quote:

one thing that gets me, is the manual says you can't build units once engaged in a land battle. but every rebel planet I attack, they produce new units from there heavy factories and light factories and barracks.

i cant remember quite how this works (been awhile since i played EAW), but each building type pumps out a unit type by default as a garrison force when attacked in a land battle, even though there are no forces garrisoning the planet.

confuse yet? for example you can have no troops on a planet, but you can have a barracks, a light factory and a heavy factory. when you get attacked by land, the barracks will pump out a squad or 2 of stormtroopers, the light factory will pump out i believe AT-ST's, and the heavy factory pumps out either artillery or AAA batteries... all this by default... if one unit type gets wiped, the corresponding bldg (as long as its still operational) will pump out a replacement on its own without you having to do anything.

Think of it as an automated defense. and it should work for both sides. If the rebels are attacking an imperial planet, then the bldgs should pump out their default units in defense and vice versa for the rebs if the imps attack.

i hope i made that clear enough to not be too confusing

As for unit caps and whatnot, i modified my game files and made the cap a bit bigger for space battles... something about seeing 3 SD's going up against 3Mon Cal Cruisers and a bunch of frigates. On land, for some reason i cant change the cap size, but i can change unit size. for instance a unit of AT-AT's is just 1 AT-AT by default... i can change that to a unit being 2 or 4 AT AT's. I can also change the size of storm trooper squads and what not. But whatever i mod for the imps, i make sure i do the same for the rebs to keep the game pretty much balanced out.

fun stuff

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

those dreaded artillery things the rebels have is a pain in the butt, but sure enough they were producing from their factories, vehicles rolled out as I attacked.

Vader is the cure for the common artillery piece and just about any group of massed soldiers. I always havee him leading my forces and so far I've found a squad of stormtroopers, and atsts are really all I need when vader is around.

Zane, read my conclusion, I was playing the imps and the camera rotation I'm talking about is the full 3d camera like in space. they lock the pitch in ground combat default.

Guest Grayfox

ya i know what youre talking about... those rebel arty pieces are murder. i usually use scout troopers and drop thermal dets, or a grp of TIE maulers.

Vader is the common cure for everything... with his force push ability and vehicle crush, the rebs really dont stand a chance. combined with the emperor and his lightning and mind control, all you really need is a squad of AT-ST's a few maulers and the emp and vader to open a can on the rebs.

my one beef about the heroes is why kyle katarn and mara jade? on the positive side, Boba Fett in the slave one=instant ass kicking

This site has the mod to allow full camera freedom in ground combat as well a combined SW realism mod coupled with the unit cap increase here

LucasFiles mod page for EAW

Ultimate EAW if you can't wait for new content

zane: I had to download a mod to let me do it for ground combat. IIRC rmouse just lets you pan the camera left/right not up/down.

id play a couple skirmishes more so with the mods, i just dont like the idea of an unbalanced mod ruining the experience.

i dont know, but im starting to really turn the tide in the battle. finnaly i will post a picture when I get home.

but i think its difficult. because u cant see enemy movemtns without spies, you sometimes forget its an rts and the eenmy is always doing soemthing.

Guest Grayfox

well i just modded it myself to MY specifications... that way i knew what i was getting myself into. if i screwed up it would be my fault.

i used a mod prog called finalbig and then searched the net for some tutorials. its really easy to use and i only modded 1 file (cant remember the name but its the one that controls cap size unit size etc) and that was juuuust fine for me.

I've done a few personal tweaks to the ship scale and projectile dimensions to make things fit the movies a bit better. Nothing worse that having a laser cannon fireing shots bigger than the turbolasers or proton torps that are 3 times the size of the fighter that shot them