EVE Online

Darkling

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

im thinking more and more about trying this game. about time, it's been out quite a while. Will let you know, so you can help me out

Most MMOG's out there usually start off with a bang and slowly bleed to death as everyone leaves. Interestingly, EVE has got this backwards, when i first started playing, there was only about 3000 players online on average with a max of about 5000 players at one time. Even though these are VERY small numbers compared to games like WoW, keep in mind that EVE ONLY has ONE world, there's no sharding and stuff like WoW. At any rate, the memebership in EVE keeps going up, I'm not sure how many total subscriptions they have, I think it's gone from about 30K to about 100K or more, but now they're up to over 28,000 Concurrent Players, and keep in mind, this is all in a single shard and there's no instancing or any other tricks like that, so I think it's pretty impressive.

It's still a boring game. You might like it for the first month or so but, unless you plan to invest a couple of years in building your character, then you are wasting your time and money.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

It's still a boring game. You might like it for the first month or so but, unless you plan to invest a couple of years in building your character, then you are wasting your time and money.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Yes, it is a boring game, if you're playing solo, however if you find the right group to do group missions, or go hunting, it can be very fun and rewarding. When I first started out, I joined a group of other "Newbs" and we got together and planned attacks on much larger ships and much more experienced players and were successfull, primarily because we functioned as a group. If we would have tried doing anything close to that on our own, we would have gotten ourselves killed VERY fast.

Besides, if you're right, why are their numbers going up, instead of down? It's not like they still advertise this game, or even sell it in stores anymore?

Like I said, "Just my opinion"

As for thier numbers going up I say this:

"Word of mouth advertising catches more suckers than any other form. After a player has signed on and spent his time and money building a toon then they are reluctant to just toss it all away on a whim.

I guess that I must be bored to dead already, but I've been playing more or less actively more than three years. IMO its one the best MMORPG's out there. I'd imagine things in eve will get even more interesting when they include planets to the game, which they've promised.

You don't have to play years to have fun or to be succesful in Eve. With some imagination or with a cunning plan you can have fun even with the 14-days trial account.

What comes to me, I started PvP at my first month of gameplay, and was relatively successful in it.. Yet I've done mining(not that I had to), trading, convoy busting, fighting, stuff building, doing missions and so on. When I get bored with one thing, I'll move to another. Furthermore, I've been soloing most of time, yet I have had fun and have lots of wealth and stuff to blow up just for gags(once I blew up a miner in safe space with my battleship just because I was annoyed that they think they're safe there.. Well as you can guess, I lost my battleship to AI police, but I managed to blew up that miner too! Then I calculated that he lose up to 60 millions while I lost only 10 millions because my ship was insured, which was almost runned out, and I had only crappy tech1 equipment fitted in it.). I've calculated that I can buy battleship every 3rd day of play.

Most people seem to have somekind of mining fixation, inherited from fantasy MMO's that they can't come up with anything more constructive..

Anyway, I'm in corp called Cloaca Maxima[CMX]. Its just me and my pal, and no plan. We are doing stuff almost in every area in eve, from pirating to industrial and merchanting stuff.

But not only to tell positive sides of eve, I must say that sometimes it can be painful to play it, since the server is sometimes very unstable(especially when they patch or extend the game).

-v

I did have fun, for awhile, then they started doing absolutely ignorant things with the game.

IE: They listened to all the whining miners regarding ore thieves and came up with PW protected containers, then turned around and made it damned near impossible to anchor one in an asteroid belt. Then made it illegal to anchor one in protected space. Essentially making them a wasted purchase except as station storage cans or shipping containers.

Volio, if you want to go around popping miners, get some noob in a noob ship to take the first shot for you. After that you can open up on them with your big BS guns and never have a single shot fired at you by the cops.

Oh, and that's an interesting name for your Corp. Do you guys lay alot of eggs?

why pop miners? in other games there are RoC, or rules of conduct, just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean you should.

If your purpose is to play just to frustrate others then why play?

I understand our stance on no sissified rules of engagement when it comes to PVP, but that is just plain different that partaking in something to simply frustrate someone else.

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

why pop miners? in other games there are RoC, or rules of conduct, just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean you should.

If your purpose is to play just to frustrate others then why play?

I understand our stance on no sissified rules of engagement when it comes to PVP, but that is just plain different that partaking in something to simply frustrate someone else.

I have always found that, if an opening exists to exploit your fellow players, there will be those who will use it.

quote:

Originally by Wolfrez

Heh, I think we do.. AFAIK it means the main sewage system of Ancient Rome. In this ocassion, it refers to Amarr empire..

-v

quote:

Originally posted by Voli0:

quote:

Originally by Wolfrez

Heh, I think we do.. AFAIK it means the main sewage system of Ancient Rome. In this ocassion, it refers to Amarr empire..

-v

LOL In the English language a Cloaca is the part of a Chicken where the eggs come out.

I see I had no idea of that.

However, it became from that sewage to the english language, originally.

Unofficial translation of Cloaca Maxima was "Big Butthole" as stated less vulgarly, altho it real meaning was Greatest Sewer, which sewage of Rome was at the ancient times.

-v

Actually I took a break from the game, been a bit too busy to really play, so i put it to train something for a month, and suspended my account. I'll probably pick it back up again next month or so.

I love the amount of RL damage that can be done in Eve... it feels so satisfying. Try joining a big corp if you have the contacts to do so... I'm in Goonfleet, or was. Haven't played in a while.