Spot On: The (new) dawn of digital distribution

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Originally posted by Grizzle:

Hmmm...me thinks a good business to get into right now is that of Digital Distributor. Buy or rent a server farm, sit back and watch the money roll in!

Why is it that people always think you can do something and "Sit back and watch the money roll in".

I have a friend that maintains online prescription websites and makes 40K a month doing it. Most people think that he "Sits back and watches the money roll in" but in reality what he does is work 12-14 hrs. a day creating reference sites, cloaked sites, articles, anything and everything to keep HIS sites top ranked by the search engines. There is absolutely NOTHING that ANYONE can do, where they can just "sit back and watch the money roll in" because you can be sure that if you've found some "money making secret", within a VERY short period of time, there WILL be swarms of others trying to eat your lunch!

Relax Darkling, he was making a joke.

That was a long read SC, but it was very good. Personally, I love Valve's Steam, but I still like having that hard copy in my hands. I'm sure like most gamers, its going to take some getting used to as more and more companies turn to digital distribution, but the inability to easily install my games if I didn't have broadband (which bad things happen to good people sometimes) kind of irks me.

I like how you've done the UC:AWA purchase (which I'm still waiting until I have the money to purchase it : ) where you purchase it online from BMT Micro, but they send you a CD. Meh, old gamers die hard I guess.