F.E.A.R.

Cruis.In

The FPS rate SUCKS, the game is just plain Laggy, and I am playing it with a P-4 and a 5500 Nvidia 256 meg.

I am NOT going to spend another $1200 to play another FPS, I just refuse....

So FEAR goes down the chute, until I decide to upgrade at some point, besides the point, I was NOT all that impressed with it.

I'm seeing this as more common amongst gamers nowadays. My system is still a 2.0a Ghz P4, and 1 GB of DDR Ram. My videocard is a 9800 Radeon Pro.

I have no problems running any game that I have ever installed - including the F.E.A.R. demo.

No laggy framerate, nothing.

I don't know whether it's because I keep my system clean and my background processes trimmed - or because the newest iterations of Pentium chips are inherently unstable when playing games.

I've noticed that people with higher "on paper" specs are having poor performance in newer games that I am not experiencing.

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

im sorry you said 2 gig of ram still can't make it run faster?

Yap!I've set all video options to high,to see if my rig can handle it,still no go.

I think I need to upgrade another MIGHTY CPU...maybe AMD 64 X2 4800??

Gee!

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

I'm seeing this as more common amongst gamers nowadays. My system is still a 2.0a Ghz P4, and 1 GB of DDR Ram. My videocard is a 9800 Radeon Pro.

I have no problems running any game that I have ever installed - including the F.E.A.R. demo.

No laggy framerate, nothing.

I don't know whether it's because I keep my system clean and my background processes trimmed - or because the newest iterations of Pentium chips are inherently unstable when playing games.

I've noticed that people with higher "on paper" specs are having poor performance in newer games that I am not experiencing.

When you have the rig that you think it can handle it,natually you will set all options to MAX.

Well!of course we know what will happen next,F.E.A.R. IS a resource hunger.

I think you can run F.E.A.R. demo with no problem,must be in video option settings.Since 9800 PRO didn't support SM3.0,your video settings either in Min or Normal.

Try to set them all to MAX,and 1280*1024 or above,you can see what happen~

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Shih:

Seriously though... what is the point of playing a game at that resolution?

I've gone back and played older games at max resolutions - and I notice that the menu options, etc. become so tiny that it's difficult to see them.

Most games I play - Doom 3, GTA: SA, etc. auto-configure my setup to either max or near-max settings in terms of graphics.

And in terms of features , shadowing, etc. I normally will bump up my settings to max them out.

I still don't have problems. The only lag I've experienced in a game recently has been when I've tried bumping things up to insane resolutions.

It doesn't really help the quality that much - so long as you're loading the same size textures ,etc. the higher resolution doesn't do jack that I can tell.

quote:

quote:

My LCD monitor has a native resolution of 1280 x 1024 so I need to run all my games at that res. Granted with my sweet Sony LCD it's not too bad at 1024, but it just looks so much better at 1280 and once you get used to playing games at that res it's hard to go back.

the choppy frame rate we mean is like harddrive access, not so much slow frame rate when its running good, but like enter a new room or something and the hard drive hitches hiccups, thats what we mean Silk, you're saying that you don't even have that?

Anyway, I don't see what would make me by this... the slowmo is nothing fantastic, the gun battles aren't that much better than half life, the story seems good and I like the whole paranormal thing, but the gameplay doesnt grab.

just another go to another room another floorway kill more enemies, unless someone who gets the full game can say it gets better than what is shown in the demo, im out on this, and i thought i was really gona like it.

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

you're saying that you don't even have that?

I've got a nice 8MB cache on my hard drive so I don't experience bottlenecks in data transfer there.

quote:

Originally posted by Grizzle:

quote:

quote:

My LCD monitor has a native resolution of 1280 x 1024 so I need to run all my games at that res. Granted with my sweet Sony LCD it's not too bad at 1024, but it just looks so much better at 1280 and once you get used to playing games at that res it's hard to go back.
That's the point!My LCD is BENQ FP91G+,at 19` LCD,set resolution at 1280*1024 and 2AA 4AF,games just look great!Never came back to 1024*768 or below~

Most hard drives are like 2MB cache IIRC - but they've recently started putting more out at 8MB cache. I think Maxtor even came out with a 16MB one but not sure about costs there...

I had my 8MB cache drive back when it was the only kid on the block... and a special edition you had to hunt for to boot.

well I think I want f.e.a.r. but not if I cant solve the hitching issue.

here my specs,

p4 3.0

sb live 24 bit

512 ram

256 x800 xt

80 gig HD.

Nothing spectacular, but it's high frames in the 80's except when the HD hitches of course. I tried lessening the CPU and Graphics settings, I tried all the recommendations, my drivers are up to date, I even put sound quality to minumum... nothing it still hitches.

Do you think another gig of ram would solve the issue?

Cruis.In, I had those same hitches at first. Then I created a dedicated partition on my HD just for F.E.A.R. and defragged it using O&O Defrag and setting it to defrag by file access. Haven't had a single hitch since.

Don't think you need to create a new partition like I did, but if you uninstall the game, then defrag using a 3rd party defragger (O&O or PerfectDisk) then install the game and defrag again after you run it once or twice that should do the trick.

i defragged while it was installed. Also I played around with all the settings, the greatest and most significant change and a halt to 90 percent of the hitching came with moving Texture Resolution from Max to Min.

I enabled all the bells and whistles, soft shadows, the works, cpu max, graphics max, effects and everything, 1024, FSAA and AF 16x, and still got between 30-100 frames. With Texture resolution on Min, but then I disabeld all those bells and whistles sending the frames skyrocketing and no hitching, then turned texture resolution to max and it gone back hitching, I mean all effects off or miniumum and 800 & 600 resolution.

It says in the game texture resolution gives crisper look to the textures at cost of more memory usage, but it didnt specify video memory or computer memory, but I have to assume they mean video memory since this option is located in the graphics settings menu...if I am wrong correct me.

I cant believe setting texture resolution to max with all effects off could still cause stutter... so it must be ram? because thats where I fall down.

let me know

Ah I missed the 512mb ram in your specs. Yeah, from what I hear the game uses 900 mb when fully loaded. You must be getting a lot of HD thrashing especially when you use max textures. You really need to upgrade to 1gb. A single stick of 512 isn't too expensive these days.

Also, what defrag proggie do you use? You would really benefit from one that does offline/boot defrag to defrag your swap file. You should download the trial of O&O Defrag. Or, get your hands on a DOS boot disk, turn of the swap file in windows, boot into DOS, delete the swap file, then reboot into windows, defrag then turn swap back on. This should give you a nice clean spot for the swap file to reside as it's likely yours is fairly fragmented.

Lastly I'd suggest you keep soft shadows off, the performance hit isn't worth it.