Layoffs at EA

Supreme Cmdr

Here we go again. With all the money they make, how can they possibly justify this?

quote:

I was one of the unlucky people who happened to be skilled enough to be let go today. You can bet I'll be spending the rest of my night at the bar.

The layoffs were very skillfully done. Not a word of it leaked out to the company before the fact. Actually, just last week we were all reassured by our lead that our jobs were secure despite the reports of lower earnings, so none of us saw it coming. I happened to have a TFT (temp) working under me who was let go after his contract ran out on the 29th, and yesterday I was feeling bad that the guy didn't get hired for a permanent spot. He was extremely talented. Ironically, today I don't feel so bad.

The timing was also carefully chosen: annual employee reviews come up on February 8th, and most reviews result in raises. By letting people go now they can not only spare themselves of having to give wage increases but skip out on the employee reviews as well. Again, skillfully done.

They called me into a meeting room where they proceeded to tell me that they were cutting back, etc etc, and I was going to be a casualty of those cutbacks. They then pulled me into another meeting room with about 50 other people. I saw a couple good friends in there, people who had been working there far longer than me. Many of the women were crying. After splitting us up into groups they shuffled us up one by one for a short briefing to review severance details, and that was that. They told me to leave the building immediately, gave me a red badge (much like a scarlet letter, in a way) and said that if there was anything I wanted from my desk I had better get it now. I did so. I cashed in the rest of my game points for 7 crappy EA games -- there are definitely not 7 games in the EA store that are worth playing -- and went home.

So let me take this opportunity to extend to you, EA, a giant middle finger. We worked extremely hard to make you rich. I hope you're happy.

-Ex-EA Employee

Redwood Shores Layoff

quote:

They called me into a meeting room where they proceeded to tell me that they were cutting back, etc etc, and I was going to be a casualty of those cutbacks. They then pulled me into another meeting room with about 50 other people. I saw a couple good friends in there, people who had been working there far longer than me. Many of the women were crying. After splitting us up into groups they shuffled us up one by one for a short briefing to review severance details, and that was that.

The way he wrote that makes it sound like the holocaust. Way to go EA executives. I'm glad you enjoy laying off your employees after you work them to death.

What idjits... it never ceases to amaze me what the modern corporate executive can justify.

EDIT: A thought... thinking back to how EA has done things in the past... who are they about to assimilate? Valve?