Aegia PhysX is here. Now what?

Well, with any luck (and they'll need LOTS of it), Aegia's PhysX HW card will revolutionize hardware accelerated physics in much the same way Adlib first revolutionized HW based audio.

...at least thats the plan. But...

Naturally, the likes of nVida (with their Havoc partnership) and ATI (on their own) are touting similar accelerated physics on their GPUs.

Who will win? I tell you what. If nVidia and ATI perform better and/or comparable to PhysX, that board is history.

The nVidia solution apparently only works with Havoc based games. Considering the cost of that engine license, it is only used by top tier publishers with multi-million dollar budget titles.

We're still waiting to see if ATI's solution is general purpose and not require and additional layer, as in the case of nVidia + Havoc combo.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

We're still waiting to see if ATI's solution is general purpose and not require and additional layer, as in the case of nVidia + Havoc combo.

Yeah, but doesn't the PhysX require an additional layer in the application as well? My understanding is that games have to be PhysX compatible for you to get any improvement.

Well, if the PhysX chip really takes off, then your investment in the reality engine is going to to be an even more awesome one, SC. Hopefully the picture will be pretty clear by the time critical decisions on this issue have to be made for BCNG.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr. WeeGee:

quote:

Yeah, but doesn't the PhysX require an additional layer in the application as well? My understanding is that games have to be PhysX compatible for you to get any improvement.

Physx uses the Novadex (which Aegia owns) physics sdk which is free to developers.

Havoc is third-party licensed physics sdk which costs tons.

quote:

Physx uses the Novadex (which Aegia owns) physics sdk which is free to developers.

Havoc is third-party licensed physics sdk which costs tons.

Ahh, that makes sense. Does it work without the Physx card? I can't see why people would continue to use Havok if a solution thats on par with in addition to being free.

costs money for the developer, but only requires a decent shader model 3.0 card to run, which most gamers already have. It's all going to come down to relative performance. Free for the developer being a strategy for selling their cards.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...