Real Life vs Crysis Engine

Thats quite impressive environmentally. Next I'd like to see them do that comparison between real humans and in game humans

You know, the engine can render really pretty/realistic pictures, but I really don't care if the gameplay sucks, e.g. Quake 3, Doom 3, New Wolfenstein, Unreal Tournament Any, etc. as compare with Halflife 1 OR 2, and DoD and DoD:S, and TFC...

Man, I REALLY need to find a copy of Operation Flashpoint to try out... Aren't they supposed to be releasing a new game soon too?

The pricing would be thousands, not millions. To charge millions, it would have to be as popular as the DOOM3, HL2, Unreal3 engines etc.

Also, remember that they were licensing the first engine too. Nobody licensed it. Hence no third party games based on it. I suspect that this new engine will have the same fate. Publishers don't like change and licensing a new engine means putting the dev team on a learning curve, which in turn increases development time. Most dev studios are familiar with the iD and Epic game engines. So thats what gets licensed. Even the HL2 engine doesn't - yet - have any games released based on it.

Engine licensing isn't what it used to be.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Even the HL2 engine doesn't - yet - have any games released based on it.

I hate to call you out on this, but Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines was built on the Source engine. In addition, Sin Episodes is built using Source.

I missed a word in the statement above. I meant to say "worthy" games.

Yes, I am fully aware of those two games and mods based on HL2 engine. The point I was making is that most engines are not as widely used as the most popular. Think how long HL2 has been out. AFAIK, no new games based on that engine are announced nor in the pipeline.