AMD Plans Major CPU Price Drops Day After "Conroe"

Well, this was pretty much a no brainer as recent articles have already stated that Intel is likely to significantly lower prices on core 2 dua when they are relased from their already fairly low prices. Couple this with the significant performance and power dissipation advantage that core 2 duo(I wish they had named it core duo 2) will have over AM2 when they are released AMD HAD to at least try to compete on pricing even if they couldn't compete on aything else at this time.

I just hope that this doesn't drive AMD out of [the CPU] business or implies that K8L may be earlier than expected and with better performance than I think it will be able to put up from what I've seen of the design direction. AMD is in for a world of hurt.

quote:

Originally posted by cutterjohn:

I just hope that this doesn't drive AMD out of [the CPU] business or implies that K8L may be earlier than expected and with better performance than I think it will be able to put up from what I've seen of the design direction. AMD is in for a world of hurt.

What makes you think this would drive AMD out of the CPU business? I've spoken to a few stock people and they say Intel is the one that's been hurting for some time now not AMD. If anything, this might make a lot of people who wouldn't ordinarily buy an AMD do so. This is the way the freemarket is suppose work when it's done properly. The consumer benefits.

Damn, and I just had to reactivate my game from switching Hard Drives and upgrading the Memory. A motherboard switch is definitely going to trigger another Activation, and the thing said I had Zero reactivations left.

quote:

Originally posted by LostInSpace:

quote:

Originally posted by cutterjohn:

What makes you think this would drive AMD out of the CPU business? I've spoken to a few stock people and they say Intel is the one that's been hurting for some time now not AMD. If anything, this might make a lot of people who wouldn't ordinarily buy an AMD do so. This is the way the freemarket is suppose work when it's done properly. The consumer benefits.

The only time stuff like this drives people out of business is when there are way too many players in too small of a space. Like decades ago when over 100 different companies made Refridgerators (Even GM was in that business) and it consolidated down to 3 Major players in the US or like in the computer business, where there used to be THOUSANDS of different companies building computers, which is now down to a handfull of big ones and maybe 100 or less "Boutique" outfits. However, in the processor business, there's only 2 real players, AMD & Intel, so I REALLY doubt that they would slash their own throats in this game.

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

Damn, and I just had to reactivate my game from switching Hard Drives and upgrading the Memory. A motherboard switch is definitely going to trigger another Activation, and the thing said I had Zero reactivations left.

So? Just follow the instructions for requesting a new cd-key.

AMD is going to have to do better than 50% price cuts if the Conroe, et. al. benchmarks and power utilization number hold up when machines with these CPUs get into end user hands and are benced... (AMD needs to be able to do 60-70% price reductions to stay competitive until K8L is out.)

(It's looking like the low end Conroe will be a little over $100, and I suspect that single core Intel CPUs will be going away in short order excepting, possibly, for some Celerons for low end systems.)

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

So? Just follow the instructions for requesting a new cd-key.

Oh, thought I had to pay for more than 2 activations. Thanks.. I'll contact you after I upgrade, probably be in a couple of months.

I got myself an AMD 4400 dual core 1mb L2 with 2 gigs of ram, a gt7800 256 vid card rig at just over $1k a couple months back.

love the thing to death.