Core 2 Duo reviews a rollin' in

cutterjohn

Well, Intel has successfully unleashed a can of whoop ass on AMD:

HotHardware

Hexus low end core 2 matching FX-62, X6800 kicking it in the nuts...

current pricing on the low end E6400 is $180, and it's matching high end AM2 4600, FX-62 which are several times more expensive. AMD is going to have to go to $150 max price to have any sort of hope of being competitive, and that will only be pricewise as nothing they currently have even makes an impression. Hope that K8L actually turns out better than it looking or...

AMD R.I.P. 1968 - 2007

Yeah, yeah, replying to myself, anyways, I dug up yet another set of benchmarks from hardocp which attempt to show the FX-62 in a slightly better light. (It's almost able to keep up with the E6700 & X6800 at the settings/config they've used...)

Still waiting for something from Tom's Hardware or Anand....

Bah! Found some more reviews! Man there needs to be a slightly longer editing timeout on posts, anyways: (more AMD misery...)

ExtremeTech

and

Overclockers.com.au

BTW: the hardocp review is the ONLY one to show the FX-62 even being remotely competitive and is suspect wrt the settings used to testing, along with their overall testing methodology or lack thereof.

Whew! Made the edit cutoff, anyways, here take this its a list of every known core 2 duo benchmark/review online at the moment. Supposedly it will be kept up-to-date, and I officially give up.

HardOCP's bench's are crap. By not putting the graphics down, he's basically created a bottleneck through the GPU, which is inhibiting the CPU's performance.

This is why, when you benchmark a CPU, you set the graphics down to minimal.

Yeah, I picked up on that after reading a few more reviews and subconciously kicking around their "review".  Of course the biggest tipoff was that they were the ONLY review in which AMD was not totally skunked by even the low end Core 2s...

Conroe here I come.  (I'm thinking that I may even do something incredibly stupid and splurge for all highend stuff for the first time ever...  I still thinks it's a bad idea(valuewise) though, so I might go with less(E6700 or less)... I'm really glad that I found such a good deal on what I bought the other month now... too bad I won't likely to be able to repeat it with one of these puppiesa...)

The last time I bought 'bleeding edge' H/W was when I picked up a Pentium 200Mhz for $700.00. And that was cost at the computer store I was working at.

Heh, welll for one thing it IS good to see Intel come up with an arch that is both competitive in the performance arena AND competitive in power dissipation.  This coupled with the not quite top-of-the-line(as compared to other core 2 duo versions) is a VERY nice thing to see, as AMD pricing had been getting out of hand.

I recently found my old bills for what I just replaced the other month:

ABIT KT-7 RAID Pro    $185

AMD 1G Thunderbird  $300

256M PC133 SDRAM   $130

(compare this to: $220 for an A64 3200+(venice), Biostar TForce4U, 2G mushkin 1m ago... I was very lucky to get this deal though...)

I had forgotten how much that I had spent on that old system, as I was thinking that it had cost me around $250-$300 altogether.  IIRC that was the most that I've ever spent on a motherboard and CPU, and I had been able to make it work good enough for 5y, that is until I picked up a higher specced GPU and tried to make it work with a craptacular VIA chipset(their PCI bus & AGP implementation left alot to be desired(as in I'm surprised that they worked, but I guess that peripheral mfgs design their products to be extrememly tolerant) as I see from research that other people did a few years after the K* chipset release...)

My new nForce4 board hasnt given me any problems, although I'm not running a single item through the PCI slots other than what's already on the board and directly tied to the boards PCI bus, but so far, so good.

I'd like to see some non-Intel mb's now, although I read on one of the reviews that they could push core 2 duo over 4G stable w/IIRC c. 7% increase in power utilization(that's damned good translates into little extra thermal dissipation).

All of that being said, I think that I'll have to chicken out and go low to mid range, but even that is still as good or better than current AMD offerings, and SHOULD last me for quite some time.  (I've decided that the bragging premiums aren't worth it, and the $$$ would be better spent elsewhere.)