AMD runnin' scared

cutterjohn

AMD is so intimidated by core 2 duo that they are literally trying a pathetic stopgap measure in the form of 4x4 theoretically to remain competitive with Core 2 Duo.

(Basically they're talking about going back to the old multi-CPU socket designs, and are calling it 4x4 as they expect people to be raped(er I mean given a "good" value) for 2 pokey dual cores. This is to be followed by an even better plan raping(er whoops, I meant giving the customer a "good" value) the vustomer for 2 quad core CPUs, called imaginatively enough, 8x8 next yearish. Guess someone forgot to tell them that last I heard Intel was looking for quad cores by, possibly, this fall, whoops...)

(On a totally non-related weird note, Safari failed to provide me with new topic, and new poll buttons... hmmm... Apple/AMD collusion?)

Well, it's about time Intel got off it's brand name and did something usefull for the market because they've been in the dumps for some time now because of AMD's success. AMD has nothing to worry about and neither does Intel. It's like the battle of coke and pepsi drinkers. In the end, both companies are going to offer us better and better products at lower prices than ever before. In the end, we win.

Then again the conroe doesn't sound all that impressive as the hype:

hardocp: Intel Core 2 Gaming Performance

We test Intel's Core 2 Duo and Extreme using real-world gaming. Don't let a bunch of canned benchmarks lie to you about gaming performance, real gameplay experience tells a different story. Unless of course you game at 800x600.