Space Force 2

Supreme Cmdr

I'd never heard of the first one, so imagine my surprise when someone sent me the link to the trailer for this one.

It looks like yet another space sim shooter in the vein of Darkstar One, albeit this one looks a lot nicer.

Are space sims making a comeback or am I just jumping to conclusions again?

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Looks like space sims are back!

STARSHATTER - THE GATHERING STORM (Starshatter 2) is coming too.

http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=334

I've been playing Darkstar One a bit. Not too bad for some quick space action in between diaper changes.

Actually...

I don't think Darkstar One come's close to this type of gameplay. I'd say X3 - Reunion does, since the look of it is similer, but this one is highly more advanced from what the trailer shows.

Now, if they includ the ability to build an empire (station building) THEN Egosoft will have a run for there money.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I'd never heard of the first one, so imagine my surprise when someone sent me the link to the
for
one.

It looks like yet another space sim shooter in the vein of Darkstar One, albeit this one looks a lot nicer.

As for myself, I've always said that any genre isn't dead. It will come back. Such as Space Sims and even adventure games. What I think happens is that the ideas dry up for a particular genre and they are put away for another day. Some may say the genre is dead because of this but I say that it's just hibernating until a better day.

quote:

Originally posted by Kalshion:

Actually...

I don't think Darkstar One come's close to this type of gameplay. I'd say X3 - Reunion does, since the look of it is similer, but this one is highly more advanced from what the trailer shows.

Now, if they includ the ability to build an empire (station building) THEN Egosoft will have a run for there money.

Darkstar one is more like an old Wing commander game (like Privateer). Fly a mission, dock, buy stuff, take missions, upgrade your single ship and fly again.

Space force 2 looks good from the trailer, but I don't see how it is much more advanced or different from X3. Heh, its not like I've ever passed on buying a space game of any kind so I'll be getting it for sure.

• 8 months later...

I'll be the guinea pig

Been playing the demo off and on; it's pretty interesting, graphic wise its ok and the sounds are good.

However, the way it starts out makes you wonder if that's how you'll start in the actual game. There was no creative ideas for the start, they throw you RIGHT into battle first thing, NO tutorial or nothing, you have to learn on the fly.

While for any BCer this isn't a problem; but for complete Space Sim newbies (like my older sister) it's not beginner friendly.

The combat is interesting; it takes a lot longer to take the shields down on a fighter and in some case's it's actually worth investing in some antimatter missiles.

Voice acting could use some improvement though; and the face art also needs improvement.

The maps are pretty expansive, but there is not much life in the universe, I guess thats a good thing really.

The combat is the only area that I think people will have a problem with; but only for awhile.

All in all; the demo shows that the game might be 'ok' but it could use some improvements in some areas.

I would recommend ya play the demo first before actually getting the game; it's worth the try though