Why Gaming Sucks On Linux

Supreme Cmdr

What an actually disappointing article. There's nothing that actually answers the question except the complaint that there's a dearth of the appropriate software.

That's a business problem, not a linux/windows problem. Is that because of the kind of business model you have in Linux? Is it because of Linux's software in some way? I didn't find this very informative.

Ew...

Maybe the guy should actually throw in some solutions rather than tell everyone what to do.

I'll tell you why linux sucks for gaming, Its a well known fact for those to use their brain for a second.

Game Developers develop games for the OS that is most popular so that their games can be used by as many people as possible.

The fact that linux gaming sucks has no bering on the OS or OpenGL or anything other than the fact that most people don't know how to use Linux.

If a linux distro is more user friendly (which it is fastly becoming!!!) then more people would use it and then more people CAN use it, therefore Game Developers would develop more games for linux or at least make the game Cross-Platform Compatible so that they can be either ported, run on top of Cedega-type programs or even *gasp* run natively.

So whats the solution? Use Linux more and get your friends and family to use it. Educating people about alternative OSs is the first step. And eventually Linux will take up more of the market and then you know what happens next.

However, whether this happens in my lifetime or not would be a hotly debateable topic.

There is of course the possibility that the process could be done backwards. IE: Game Developers provide the ability for companies to port their games, or provide a Linux Installer or be compatible with Cedega-type programs.

Then more people would realize that their games will run on their favorite/preferred OS. And they could encourage people to use Linux without sacrificing gaming ability.

Of course... this isn't in the interest of most Game Developers and if it did happen it probably wouldn't happen within my lifetime, at least not without some major effort and education.

There ya go, I saved you from having to read an article that appers to be biased and nothing more than full of criticisms and depressing news that most computer savvy people already know.

At least, IMHO

-Fox

• 1 month later...
Guest yamamushi

Gaming on Linux sucks because most companies want to have their games run on DirectX instead of OpenGL. Most games that I've seen that have support for OpenGL or D3D run fine on linux with cedega or wine. And even then, it only takes a bit of effort to get other games running on linux, I've got Universal Combat running on my linux box right now, and even though it took some stress and puzzling to figure it all out, I got it to work. Sure you can use linux right out of the box just like windows with a bit of pointing a clicking, but the real strength is when you can use the command line, and you know all of the little administration tricks.

Just like the Battlecruiser games, there is a learning curve involved. Just because some people don't want to put a little effort into getting their games to work on linux, doesn't necessarily mean gaming sucks on linux. Using this analogy is like saying Universal Combat sucks because I had to read the tutorial.

Isn't it too little to late for Linux-gaming anyway?

I mean, with PC-gaming being already on life-support.

The fact is, even Linux users play their games on video consoles. The funny thing is that more and more former Linux users are switching to macs because they don't play on their workstations anyway.

It's ironic how open-source champions have no problems switching to macs.

At the end of the day all you want is getting the job done, be it work or play.

Guest yamamushi

I work for a large managed hosting provider right now, and considering we do a crapload of linux support... I think I can safely say that an extremely small minority of linux users are even considering switching to mac. If anything, the gaming support on mac is 1/5th of that compared to linux.

And since when was PC-Gaming on life support? The only reason I bought a ps3 was to put linux on it, and not even for gaming, for a development server...

quote:

Originally posted by yamamushi:

I work for a large managed hosting provider right now, and considering we do a crapload of linux support... I think I can safely say that an extremely small minority of linux users are even considering switching to mac. If anything, the gaming support on mac is 1/5th of that compared to linux.

And since when was PC-Gaming on life support? The only reason I bought a ps3 was to put linux on it, and not even for gaming, for a development server...

That's the proof right there that Linux users don't play at all. Date rape on a PS3, that's just disgusting.

I guess it's hard to judge what the market is like because it's different depending on the computing needs of your company.