ARMA - Armed Assault

Darkling

Just wondering if anyone's playing

They take a novel approach, instead of having a bunch of seperate tiny maps, they have one MASSIVE map, with different missions available. Unlike, BF2, when you fly a jet, you actually have to fly a decent amount of time, before getting to your objective.

Yup, I've been playing it for a couple months now, I imported the UK release rather than waiting for it to hit the US shelves.

Brilliant game, really improved on the Operation Flashpoint franchise quite a lot. Its got its fair share of bugs, but what large scale game doesn't? Really, comparing it to BF2 doesn't do it justice. Its waaaay more advanced than BF2 with a much steeper learning curve if you haven't played Operation: Flashpoint. Brilliant AI, vehicles that are manned by more than one person, huge scale, and tons of other features really make the experience from this game a lot less like a game.

Guest $iLk

I've got it. I did the same thing as you when OpFlash came out, imported it from the UK months before its release here. The only bad part of that was the patching process with the U.S. expansions... had to patch to a certain level, then install the expansions, then patch again.

ArmA is basically the updated OpFlash. Not enough to warrant it being anything entirely new. Slightly updated graphics, a few extra things (I love the inventory when searching dead soldiers), but not quite as epic feeling as the original - although I was a huge fan of Red Storm Rising in High School so OpFlash was like a dream come true when it came out. ArmA is great - but buggy. I haven't had problems on my system, but many people do. Not everyone dumps the horsepower into their rigs like I do.

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

Not everyone dumps the horsepower into their rigs like I do.

Yeah this things a monster, I've just upgraded to an X2-3800+ System with a Gig of RAM and a 6200 video Card with 256 Megs of RAM. My rig BARELY runs this thing on low settings. From what I understand, it should do fairly well once I upgrade my card to a 6800 or better.

I just downloaded the Op Flashpoint Demo, I can't believe that I've never heard of this game before. From what I understand, there's still a fairly large community playing the older version. I'm wondering if I should get that one too, or is everyone moving over to ARMA? You're right though, it's basically a fairly small upgrade from Op Flashpoint.

BTW, I've heard that the US & Euro versions will be coming together on patch 1.07, what's the difference anyway?

There is one bad point (at last for me) about Arma: The game Campaign is far far worse than in OFP. Based on OFP main campaign experience that i played i expected more from Arma.

But beside this, the game are very enjoyable, with all aspects said above. And the BIS are allways working in a new patch to correct some bugs, and the comunity are working hard too,in many different mod┬┤s to improve game experience.

quote:

Originally posted by almostpilot:

There is one bad point (at last for me) about Arma: The game Campaign is far far worse than in OFP. Based on OFP main campaign experience that i played i expected more from Arma.

Would you say the game campaign is bad because it's the same as OFP, worse than OFP, or you simply expected a better improvement?

I was thinking about picking up a copy of OFP, but wondered if it would be worth it now that I have ARMA.

Does anyone still play OFP, or has everyone moved over to ARMA? Considering the requiirements for ARMA, I'm just wondering if there's still a lot of people playing OFP, simply because of the hardware requirements are pretty steep.

What i try to say is : Arma is a better game and more improved from OFP if you consider the graphics, size and new tecnologies. But the main campaign in OFP is more deep and enjoyable. Arma not have a good campaign it┬┤s just like a many missions connected.

i have Arma and hope the comunity mod makers could improved it more and more.

i have OFP and for a single player experience i play it a lot even today, and in this aspect is more enjoyable to play than Arma. Of course there are many many mods for OFP that improve the game graphics too.

I don┬┤t know if i could make myself clear, because my english is very poor...sorry. I hope that i could help.

Guest Grayfox

i still play opfp. i love it, i didnt like the campaign too much in opfp, but i have a ton of fun making my own. because of being able to make your own missions and such this game has legs.

im not surprised people still play it. i havent played arma tho, but if its basically the same with updated graphics, then i might try it out, as long as they didnt nerf the mission creator

I downloaded the OFP demo from gamespot.com and it looks like a remarkable game. The terrain is curvy and densly populated with trees and buildings. The graphics only lack the extreme shading color of today. Best of all is it runs fast.

The best feature about the game is the squad members communicate in a very detailed fashion.

Guest $iLk

The mission creator is about the same. The biggest update is that you can view the 3D terrain in addition to the elevation map.

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

From what I understand, it should do fairly well once I upgrade my card to a 6800 or better.

At the minimum, get a 7600GT. Everyone I've talked to so far who's got a 6800 says they can barely run the game at all. I've got enough difficulties with my 7600 so I can't imagine having anything less.

quote:

BTW, I've heard that the US & Euro versions will be coming together on patch 1.07, what's the difference anyway?

Surprisingly a lot. The Euro versions currently don't have the Armory or the A10. They've also got different cutscenes in the campaign that make it a little less crappy. You can get the beta now if you're registered with the BIFORUMS. Its not bad, the game's performance has improved slightly; no framerate increase but its more stable... doesn't jump up or down as much.

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

im not surprised people still play it. i havent played arma tho, but if its basically the same with updated graphics, then i might try it out, as long as they didnt nerf the mission creator

Well, there's a few more updated things than just graphics. The flight model is improved. HDR is used intelligently, making the game MUCH more realistic than its predecessor. Grass helps when you're sneaking around, and the AI actually respects the grass; if a human can't see you in the grass, the AI can't see you either (unless knowsabout is > 1, just like in flashpoint).

You'll also enjoy the new stuff for mission designers, mostly scripting related stuff. Read my reply to $ilk below.

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

The mission creator is about the same. The biggest update is that you can view the 3D terrain in addition to the elevation map.

It hasn't changed much at all since Resistance had the same terrain view. The major thing for mission makers is the scripting language is now more well formed, with sqs having been completely overtaken by sqf (Look it up on the Biki for more).

I'm working on a pvp attack and defend mission right now. Should be pretty fun, I'll let you guys know when I finish it.

Sometimes BDA, my name is Weegee, but it really depends on which one is full at the time. I've been playing a lot of Evolution, so I usually join whichever has the most players for that mission.

I play under 'MojoFlow'.

A couple different servers have been decent. Radishville comes to mind. Also, Tactical Gamers and simhq's server. Some of those might need a password that you get if you go to their website and read the SOP's, and behaviour guidelines, which is nice as it minimizes idiotic/childish behaviour.

Cheers!

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr. WeeGee:

Sometimes BDA, my name is Weegee, but it really depends on which one is full at the time. I've been playing a lot of Evolution, so I usually join whichever has the most players for that mission.

quote:

Are you guys playing version 1.5 still (European Version), or are you playing the US 1.6 Version?

quote:

Just wondering if anyone's playing
They take a novel approach, instead of having a bunch of seperate
tiny maps

tiny maps??? in OpFlashpoint? I hope you remember the whole island maps. ArmA has one bigger island, right. but every other game has tiny maps compared to OpFlash.

quote:

Are you guys playing version 1.5 still (European Version), or are you playing the US 1.6 Version?

Unless I'm playing with some of my buddies, I'm playing the 1.5 version still. Otherwise we all jump in on the 1.7 beta. Its a little buggy, but there are a few good Evolution servers so its worthwhile. I can't wait for the full 1.7 patch to come out though, finally get some good old Capture and Hold going.

quote:

quote:

Unless I'm playing with some of my buddies, I'm playing the 1.5 version still. Otherwise we all jump in on the 1.7 beta. Its a little buggy, but there are a few good Evolution servers so its worthwhile. I can't wait for the full 1.7 patch to come out though, finally get some good old Capture and Hold going.

You can do 2 installs on 1 computer?

• 3 weeks later...