Graphics card upgrading help

Raziel

I really don't keep up with the multitude of graphics cards, seemingly released every second . So as the time comes for an upgrade what would you all recommend?

My System profile is accurate except that now I have 2.5gb of Ram.

quote:

Originally posted by Raziel:

I really don't keep up with the multitude of graphics cards, seemingly released every second . So as the time comes for an upgrade what would you all recommend?

My System profile is accurate except that now I have 2.5gb of Ram.

Well I see that your "Temporary System Profile" says you have an x600 card. Basically it's similar to the Radeon 9200SE, (4 Pipelines) except that it supports DX9.

If you just want something that will give you roughly double the performance without putting a hole in your pocket, New Egg has the 7300GT, with 8 pipelines for only $63.00, plus there's a $10.00 Rebate. However, an X1650 is probably a better deal (It has 12 Pipelines) and it's only $69.00. If you don't mind spending a bit over a hundred bucks, you could also go with an X1650 with 24 Pipelines (Double the Pipes, Double the price), but still underr $120.00. If you want a DX10 Card, the 8500GT is probably the cheapest, at under $100.00, but they only have either 12 or 16 Pipes so it would be slower than a 1650 under DX9, but if you have a DX10 game it MIGHT be faster. The best DX10 Card though, is probably the 8800 Series, but these start at around $270.00, which is probably more than I'd ever pay for a card. Keep in mind with NVIDIA the second number is more important than the first, in other words, a 7600 is going to be more powerful than an 8500, but the 7600 might stink when it comes to DX10 support. Not enough games out there running DX10 to know for sure.