Space Force Marine...

Matchoo

Hopefully this isn't a totally stupid question, but I was wondering what is the purpose of the space force marine? I assume from his name that his purpose is to fight in space, and since he is a 'marine' rather than a 'pilot', and his asset is a shuttles rather than a fighter, that his basic purpose is to fight as an infantry unit against other infantry units. This assumption leads to this question: Can/will space-stations and enemy craft in single-player deploy infantry in space suits to attack you if you are walking on the outside of the station/ship, or is this something that really would only occur in multiplayer?

I assume their PTA would destroy you before you got too close, but if you did get close enough it would be cool to stand on their ship and shoot at it (it would be the equivelent of shooting a freight train with a BB gun, but it would still be fun )

Now what would be cool would be if the space force marine had a high-explosive demo charge that he could place on a station or ship's hull. It could have a 30-second timer to give him some time to get away, and when it went off would create a fair amount of damage. It could give his life a little purpose (not to mention a large number of experience points if he survives it)

Either that or give him a missile launcher that he could use when standing on a ship hull that when he fired it would make the target think that it was coming from the ship....you could shoot a station and make it declare war on poor little ship that you just happened to be standing on

Just dreaming.........

I've actually seen enemy Space marines in the game, not sure if it was from BC or UC though. They definitely come out to play. In this case they were out fighting some NPC marines once when I jumped into a system. I had fun trying to kill them with the CC's main guns but it's impossible, so I tried to run them down GTA style and that's just as hard.

I eventually got out on my own to chase them but gave up because they were jetting back to base and I couldn't catch up with them.

I was playing as an insurgent space force marine last night. I entered a system with a veridian military star station (hostile) in it. I hyperjumped to the supply station and then got out my shuttle. I flew over to the station (it ignored me) and when I got next to it I launched a few missiles from my gun. I guess it made them a little mad because they sent out 2 space force marines to try to get rid of me. I killed one of them and decided to tell my shuttle to cover me. It flew to me and kept flying around and through the station on autopilot, and the station ignored it too. I finally gave it a halt command and it stopped so I could get back in. I started flying away from the station and eventually it used it's PTA system to destroy me.

I'm curious to see if you could do any damage to a station just using the missiles the space force marine has, but he only has 8 of them and I haven't found a way to replenish these other than going to a supply station. Is it possible if you have extra clips and/or rockets in the cargo hold of your shuttle to re-supply from it, or even to put the items into a cargo pod, jettison it, and then retrieve items from the cargo pod. I know you can fill a cargo pod with stuff and beam it to a planet, but how do you access the stuff in it once it's on the ground?