Docking Questions

Fox682

I know 2 new topics in one day might be a bit much.

As always, if i sound like a broken record or if this topic has already been fully explained please... forgive and advise and point me to the right place.

I don't know if this is an issue but i think its probably not the fault of the server.

When i walk around ON the station the ground (station surface) bounces up and down as I walk, everything else seems normal, i have a hunch its just related to my 100ms ping and the station moving.

If i bump into the stations interior while inside i'm bounced around like a peice of flubber!

The other thing that kinda piques my interest is some little known bits of information I picked up.

(ive done searches and i can't find the exact quotes... sorry...)

1) The ship stays outside the station when docked

I can hear firing still even when logged in the station, from what i understand is that the ship is outside but does not interact with the environment and isn't damaged...

2) The space stations are HUGE

What really gets me going is that you can easily fly around in them.

So two things pop up in my mind.

1) will ships being docked at a station eventually be come visiable and appear to orbit with the station?

2) that being said, will you be able to "park" the ship INSIDE the docking bays of the station and the ship will orbit with the station?

I have a hunch and it keeps bugging the heck out of me so if someone or SC could explain what is going on i'd be tickled to death.

Will be finally be required to actually physicly dock INSIDE (or Near) the station and park the ship as we log into the station????

Again sorry for the post if its already been fully covered, its just an itch i can't scratch....

-Fox

The only way that your ship can become visible while docked is when the station is destroyed.

If that happens, there is no guarantee that your ship will still possess enough cohesive mass to be functional. Also known as DeD.

As for posting threads that have been covered. Most folks who do that get either the thread deleted or at worst a little excursion out the airlock for some zero G combat training.

As long as you use the search function you won't need your spacesuit.

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

The only way that your ship can become visible while docked is when the station is destroyed.

If that happens, there is no guarantee that your ship will still possess enough cohesive mass to be functional. Also known as DeD. ....

Well yeah i figured thats what would happen... but it doesn't answer my other questions... (I know i put a billion questions in my posts so please.. bear with me...)

I've done some searching and I can't find the details i'm looking for, nor the explanation as to why the stations are soooo HUGE you could easily park a fleet in there with the compliment of fighters and have room left over!

It still begs the same questions.

Eventually (maybe BCO or BCG) is it conceivable, that in future versions that when you dock at a station, you'll be able to actually fly INTO or NEAR the station. (and be protected by its sheilds)

And when you dock, it will basicly "attach" or "Dock" the ship, in the same location your ship was when you log-onto the station.

So that being said, the "end result" would be the ability to actually SEE the ships docked at the station.

Thats what I've been trying to find the answers for, and either the topic hasn't been discused, or I have no ability to use the search function.

This is not a wish-list, its an inquery, why would the stations be so big other then for eye-candy? And why can i walk around the station with my magnetic boots (nvmd...)? Why would the stations be SO HUGE??

I think SC has some plans up his sleeve

-Fox

Manually docking - as you describe - at a station adds nothing to the game and serves no purpose. If it did, I'd have implemented it by now. Same with orbiting.

Its bad enough funding and supporting a niche game in a dead genre; but why would I want to keep adding stuff that basically doesn't move the game - nor the genre - forward?