BCM Multiplayer Patch Status

Supreme Cmdr

I don't think people are reading my dev diaries.

Anyway, the FREE multiplayer patch (also part of the XP1 add-on) won't be out to the public (obviously the Beta testers would have it long before then) until Q1 next year. I'm taking it easy in December and will spend the rest of the year with my family, catching up with my old friends, putting out post-release fires (as I have been doing this week of BCM's release), hiring personnel for the auxilliary team on BCTC and the XP add-ons, and of course, suing the pants off those who have made it their favorite past-time to libel me, tarnish my rep and defame me.

So, I hope this answers the questions about the mp patch that I have been seeing in the forums.

If you bought* and are playing BCM, then you already know that it is everything I said it would be - and one hellaciously complex piece of work. As such, multiplayer is not going to be some kludged together hack job or some variation of ..pass the buoy.

The multiplayer design is just as complex as all the high-end features in the game itself. And since 2002 is going to see two BCM add-ons, with the next major BC title, BCTC, not due out until late 2003, the mp of BCM has to be solid enough, coupled with the add-ons, to keep the company going financially until BCTC is out. I don't mention BCO in this equation because its a different ballgame altogether and due to stiff competition, I'm keeping tight lipped about it. Trust me, if you think BCM is great now - just wait.

Remember, my company is 100% self-funded. By me. So, I can't go out and collect $2m to do a title. Lets put it this way, I've already turned down offers to do just that (BCM etc) and I don't plan on reversing that...unless you want the BC games to degenerate into a shooter and me hung from the rafters for insubordination (can you imagine me, Derek Smart, answering to anyone? No seriously, can you?)

So, there you have it.

*Unless you're a pirate and didn't pay for it, you lowlife, b*stard!

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

That's 100% cool with me, Derek.

And about multiplayer. I think we can wait.... Anyway, I think most of us will be spending our time on BCM, getting frustrated trying to figure out Gallion's (near) impossible campaigns....

(Ahhh, I passed up post 800 a while earlier today!!!! Oh well, w00t for me anyway!!! )

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

Good grief man, take a break and enjoy yourself some!! Go spend some time with your family, I think I can safely say that we'll be doing just fine with BCM, we can all wait for that multiplayer patch.

Go enjoy yourself Derek, that's an order!!

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: Firehawk ]

Guest fallengod

i don't get it.... will the XP addon be a patch or a add-on that will cost me $$$....i pay $70 canadian and i hope this game will lest me a LONNG time....(untill that bcm mmopg come out) but if u are selling the xp addon... how much will it be??

I'm guessing it's gonna cost us $$$. But it's $$$ I'm willing to spend.

quote:

(Ahhh, I passed up post 800 a while earlier today!!!! Oh well, w00t for me anyway!!! )

Is my personal tradition turning into a forum-wide fad?

Derek,

Been playing BC for almost a week now and I decided it was time to comment.. GREAT job bud! The wait was worth it and personally, I feel it is much more playable with the interface design and such.

Take some time off and enjoy the holidays. By the time you get back, I may finally have a good career going where I have not died stupidly.

I have found a couple 'issues' and have a couple 'suggestions' as well. I will post them in the relevent locations for you to read. Please do so as a couple 'issues' do affect game play.

Anyhow, thanks for the ultimate space simulation and thanks for giving me a universe I can once again get lost in when I am tired of the real world! ;-) Have a great holidy!

quote:

(can you imagine me, Derek Smart, answering to anyone? No seriously, can you?)

Heh, you asked...

I would imagine the "conversation" going something like this:

Boss: Derek, the MP patch must be done by the end of the week.

Derek: Bite me. Who the hell are you, anyway? This is *MY* game and when *I* want the MP patch out, the MP patch goes out. So let me tell you something: don't screw with me. I'll eat your ego for lunch. And how much friggin' effort do you put into achieving such an incredible state of incompetence, anyway? You should write a book.

Boss: Uhm...

Derek: Just who's game do you think this is, anyway?

Boss: *Tearing Up*

Derek: Now if you'll excuse me, I have work to do. When I want to hold hands with the cranially-challenged, I'll let you know.

quote:

Originally posted by fallengod:

i don't get it.... will the XP addon be a patch or a add-on that will cost me $$$....i pay $70 canadian and i hope this game will lest me a LONNG time....(untill that bcm mmopg come out) but if u are selling the xp addon... how much will it be??

Do you know the difference between an add-on and a patch?

OK, here's my version.

PATCH: fixes bugs, tweaks game, deals with play balancing issues etc. Makes game enjoyable and in some games, actually playable. They're usually free. Unless you're ID, Sierra, Red Storm or some other publisher.

ADD-ON: adds more to game. Usually some seriously cool sh*t. They usually cost about half the price of the original game's retail prices. Unless you're Blizzard, Microsoft or some other publisher.

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Enjoy your well deserved vacation Derek

And on behalf of us gamers say Thank you to your family for being supportive as they have been.

(otherwise you probably wouldnt be here with us)

Mmm... vacations are good, just came back from one

wanna go again.. and again. hehe

Well enjoy yours