BCM v1.0.02 RC Patch

Supreme Cmdr

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

dont hold your breath, i have constant crashes but dispite the raves about tech support, they offered no help other then "read the troubleshooting doc"

i tried to post for help on the forum, but now the thread is gone.

i've read posts raving about how good tech support is. i have yet to see any tech support at all, and i know that there are people with a similar system as me who are not having my problems.

If you follow the right procedure you'll get all the help you need and some. As far as deleted post go you must have posted it to the wrong thread or there was already a thread started concerning your issues. If people with the same system you have aren't having any problems doesn't that tell you something. Like maybe its not BCM its your system causing the problem you maybe having. sheesh!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by antaren42:

dont hold your breath, i have constant crashes but dispite the raves about tech support, they offered no help other then "read the troubleshooting doc"

i tried to post for help on the forum, but now the thread is gone.

i've read posts raving about how good tech support is. i have yet to see any tech support at all, and i know that there are people with a similar system as me who are not having my problems.

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: antaren42 ]

Get the hell off my site! Yes, I just got your private message too.

Goodbye

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

I have uploaded 1.0.02 RC3

Remember, this is NOT the final 1.0.02 patch and you use at your own risk.

Also, if you have new problem (one that is not already reported*) and it relates to a crash. The best way to obtain some sort of error, is to run BCM in a window** (-w1) and hope that it happens again. You can also add -d2 to the commandline. This will output debug data to several .log files which may prove to be useful.

*If its not in the VCF (at the bottom of the file), then its either (a) not reported or (B) is not an issue under investigation or a false alarm.

**While you can run BCM in a window, it is NOT supported and is only for debugging purposes.

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

btw, if you are using 1.0.01 saved games with 1.0.02, don't.

I have noticed that even though the patch DOES delete saved games, some people (Urza) are backing up the saved games prior to patching, then restoring them after patching.

....and then they wonder why the system is unstable.

I never backed up the saves. I don't think the patch deleted anything. I've long since abandoned those saves. And sorry if I've become annoying. I certaintly don't want to become a thorn in the side of this community.

Oh, and where did you put that new beta patch? I can't find it.

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: Urza ]

quote:

Originally posted by Urza:

I never backed up the saves. I don't think the patch deleted anything. I've long since abandoned those saves. And sorry if I've become annoying. I certaintly don't want to become a thorn in the side of this community.

Oh, and where did you put that new beta patch? I can't find it.

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: Urza ]

I didn't say you were annoying or a thorn. Quite on the contrary. Reading about issues that I cannot reproduce and/or explain becomes annoying after awhile.

The 1.0.02 RC4 patch is not on the downloads page because its not final. You can grab it here.

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

is out.

I need EVERYONE to start using this version - even though its not official - so that we see if stability issues are related to prior save games being incompatible. This patch WILL delete ALL detected saved games.

Just to make sure (answer probably is yes)

RC5 is backward compatible with rc4 (and I can backup my save files and restore them after installing RC5)?

quote:

Originally posted by Gallion:

Seems pretty clear to me. What part was misunderstood?

TTFN

Urza seemed to have a problem with save files that were supposed to be deleted by the previous RC, but seemingly were not. So did it mean that SC is sure that it will remove the save files, or as you imply that it deletes it because they are not compatible?

EDIT: never mind, i just finished uploading the file and read the bcmver file (dont use old safefiles )

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: Riga ]

BCM VCF:

quote:

So, don't hate me.

Hate you? After all you've done, how could I hate you? It doesn't really matter to me, as I've restarted my campagn at least five times already. I'm going to reinstall the game, apply the new patch, and start fresh. Hopefully, this will clear up some instability issues.

Heh. And just after I got RC4 applied.

Incidentally, for me at least, the just-official Detonator 23.11 drivers kick butt. Combined with whatever optimizations were in the RC4 patch, my framerates with BCM have increased roughly 50%. Also, a couple minor graphical glitches (cloaking, hyperjumps) now work just fine.

have it working, along with the new nvidia dets 23.11

The confirmation question to delete the saved game shows the box with accept/decline buttons, but there is no text in the box. its just blank.

I also got a confirmation box to restore a game. Neat. Now even those with severe quick-click syndrome wont mess up their game.

Frame rates indeed went up, dunno if its because of the new detonators or the new patch. Anyway, it is good.

I have noted that the TACOPS view at sometimes "pauses" for a microsecond, then resumes. Not frame related as far as I can tell. Makes for interesting viewing, as sometimes you're observing and the fight suddenly warps out of your view.

Missiles sometimes warp dozens of kliks away from their targets a lot now. Not all of them, but many times I see my fighters and the NPC's shoot a missile, see it fly to target, miss and then that missile is suddenly "bumped" outside my view. I zoom out and that missile is now dozens of kliks away from the fight. Missiles then start to move in circles and some even try to fly back to target, but run out of gas.

Oh, and found my product reg. fixing sig. =)

quote:

Originally posted by Tac:

The confirmation question to delete the saved game shows the box with accept/decline buttons, but there is no text in the box. its just blank.

I have noted that the TACOPS view at sometimes "pauses" for a microsecond, then resumes. Not frame related as far as I can tell. Makes for interesting viewing, as sometimes you're observing and the fight suddenly warps out of your view.

Missiles sometimes warp dozens of kliks away from their targets a lot now. Not all of them, but many times I see my fighters and the NPC's shoot a missile, see it fly to target, miss and then that missile is suddenly "bumped" outside my view. I zoom out and that missile is now dozens of kliks away from the fight. Missiles then start to move in circles and some even try to fly back to target, but run out of gas.

1. Even a complete and utter idiot understands what accept/decline mean, and won't need any further text to indicate such.

2. That has always been the case when a large number of units are processed.

3. If the missile misses and it turns to do another pass (as it will), guess what happens.

4. As for framerate, I guess you missed that first line in the VCF too huh? *sheesh*

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

1) Yes. But the avg moron sees a blank box with accept/decline and wonders why its empty. It just dont look right

2) Noted. I only noticed this with the current patch. I've had huge fights before without this thing happening.

3) The point was the missiles getting "bumped" dozens of kliks instantenously after missing target. Then they normally try to fly back to target.

4) The what?

1. You think?

2. There's nothing in the patch that would cause it. If too many units come into scope, this will happen. It has always happened.

3. Missiles don't bump, deflect or otherwise bounce. And since Tacops won't tell you anything unless the missile IS the current cam object, you can't tell what its doing. Just because the missile warped in 2D space, doesn't mean it bounced off anything.

4. Right

To report on the new patch:

New Det drivers for Geforce 3 make the game run a helluva lot better. Framerate HAS increased. Former graphical errors seem fixed.

A lot more stability as far as the random crashes go. This is a great update.

BTW - I hate fluxfields ... and black holes.

It's at the same bcm1002.exe it's always been at. SC's just been replacing that file with the newer one.

Go download it. You'll notice the bigger file size than last time. That's how I figured it out. (I've got a copy of most of the patches from 1.0.01 RC3 all the way to the new 1.0.02 RC6. It's there.)

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

Oh, okay. I've been doing the same thing on my end.

EDIT: Wow, that was a fast download! 20 secs at 200K/sec. I'm just used to slow servers that only have so much available bandwith.

ANOTHER EDIT: I need a new keyboard. The S key is getting a little flaky.

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: Urza ]

First off, thank you SC for answering my questions over in the Clueless Newbie Questions thread. I did not realize my questions might serve a useful purpose.

I am now testing 1.0.02 RC6 and have welcomed the new flight engineers to my crew. I also noted the presence of the new auxiliary charger on Deck 4 of my transport.

However for some reason my shuttlecrafts still do not appear to be getting recharged.

I have noticed that Carrier class vessels have a charging unit listed in the Logistix Power allocation screen that does not appear on the Transport vessels Power allocation screen.

I do not know if this is in any way relevant but figured I would mention it.

Please don't flush me out the airlock - I am just a newbie.

Gamaliel out.