BCM v1.0.02 RC Patch

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Originally posted by Gamaliel:

I will report to the airlock now and await further orders.

Respectfully,

Gamaliel.

While you're in there twiddling your thumbs, pack up the saved game and send to [email protected] . If you don't know how the saved games work, read this.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Badgerius:

Ooohh... It's one of
those
... Nasty. I know exactly how you feel.

My advice: Go out, see a movie. These things always seem to come clear after a break, when you're looking at it fresh. It always works for me.

Yeah, this holds true for many things, not just programming. Taking a break is the best thing you can do for trying to solve a problem. Sooo many times I have sat and racked my brain for hours on something, and then I get pissed off at it and go do something else for a little while, come back, and it's perfectly clear.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

2. Shuttle towing. Later, the shuttle speed will depend on the mass of the object its towing. Have it tow a Stormcarrier, and you'll be there a week trying to leave the region.

Good, that was extremely un-realistic, and defeated the purpose of even keeping your CC's engine on hehe.

Ok SC, it will be done.

I will send you the saved game as soon as I re-deplete the shuttlecrafts charge.

Unfortunately, I saw your post after I had been playing the game again and I had already recharged the one shuttlecraft that was seriously depleted by docking it with Genesis starstation and using the station's Logistix screen. Needless to say, they all now have a charge of 98% to 99%.

I will get them down to 75% or so before I zip up the files and send them in.

EDIT: For clarification; realized after posting that what I had written was unclear. I have now sent the files. My ISP's e-mail server is notoriously unreliable, so if there are any problems please let me know.

Gamaliel out.

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: Gamaliel ]

Guest dnoyeB!

quote:

Originally posted by Sadistic:

Good, that was extremely un-realistic, and defeated the purpose of even keeping your CC's engine on hehe.

Towing a ship depends on its weight is unrealistic in what respect? Sure, the acceleration should be affected and pulling one off the planet should be affected, but dragging one through space should not be affected by its weight. Only the acceleration should be affected, but not the top speed. Of course its less stable if you try to sidestep an asteroid with a massive ship in tow during warp I assume with a valid plotted course thats not an issie.

The engine should only use fuel during acceleration or deceleration anyway. Once it reacehs speed, you should be able to switch it off and cruise. I assume that logic is handled by the computer. I hope It doesent burn fuel during normal travel though.

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: dnoyeB! ]

quote:

Originally posted by dnoyeB!:

Towing a ship depends on its weight is unrealistic in what respect? Sure, the acceleration should be affected and pulling one off the planet should be affected, but dragging one through space should not be affected by its weight. Only the acceleration should be affected, but not the top speed. Of course its less stable if you try to sidestep an asteroid with a massive ship in tow during warp I assume with a valid plotted course thats not an issie.

The engine should only use fuel during acceleration or deceleration anyway. Once it reacehs speed, you should be able to switch it off and cruise. I assume that logic is handled by the computer. I hope It doesent burn fuel during normal travel though.

Except that BCM doesn't use a real-world Newtonian physics model!. Realistically, there should be no top speed (up until just under lightspeed) for ANY ship in the game, but there is. So if towing is going to be moved into the more "realistic" direction then the mass (not weight, big difference) obviously has to be a factor. And since the shuttle already has a top speed, that should be lowered as well.

quote:

Originally posted by Simparadox:

Except that
BCM doesn't use a real-world Newtonian physics model!
. Realistically, there should be no top speed (up until just under lightspeed) for ANY ship in the game, but there is. So if towing is going to be moved into the more "realistic" direction then the mass (not weight, big difference) obviously has to be a factor. And since the shuttle already has a top speed, that should be lowered as well.

Yeah, that's totally true, there should be no top speed. But, it is realistic that towing a ship would slow down the acceleration A LOT. I mean, the CC has to weigh like 1000 tons or something (probly alot more, I dunno how much a ton is exactly) and the boosters on the shuttles are tiny. You should need at least 2 shuttles to drag that big damn ship, adn even then you would accelerate at like 10 m/s/s. It seems like those little tiny shuttle boosters wouldn't be able to move the CC AT ALL, much less at top speed.

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: Sadistic ]

quote:

Originally posted by dnoyeB!:

Towing a ship depends on its weight is unrealistic in what respect?

By the way, we're talking mass, not weight here. Weight = mass times the force of gravity.

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: Sadistic ]

I don't think anyones posted this one, and I didn't see it in the VCF, but it should be reproducable:

When playing in ROAM mode, with the Firestorm/Terr/Ear, I (AE)have been able to launch in a fighter (#5), go places, do things, get fairly heavy damage to the fighter, and repair it while still in space. I was in tacops, trying to get one of my shuttles to launch (which won't, bummer but oh well), I selected logistix from the tacops menu, clicked on crafts, saw the damage display, and just to see what would happen, I clicked on repairs, and ALL systems went up to 100%. Cool! exited out to cockpit mode, and ship flies like new, ship status in right-hand (CVD?) shows all systems good to go, but my armor and hull strentgh still shows damage.

Mind you, I'm not complaining, but thought you might want to know.

Oh yeah, using RC9.

Hope this helps,

WetWare

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: WetWare ]

Um, I realise that the new patch will make it harder for shuttles to tow cruisers and all, but has anyone given any thought to assigning a shuttle to tow a shuttle that is towing a cruiser?

If this is possible, it may be one exploit that needs patching up real quick

quote:

Originally posted by Gryphon:

Um, I realise that the new patch will make it harder for shuttles to tow cruisers and all, but has anyone given any thought to assigning a shuttle to tow a shuttle that is towing a cruiser?

This issue was addressed earlier in the beta program for different reasons.

quote:

Originally posted by WetWare:

I don't think anyones posted this one, and I didn't see it in the VCF, but it should be reproducable:

When playing in ROAM mode, with the Firestorm/Terr/Ear, I (AE)have been able to launch in a fighter (#5), go places, do things, get fairly heavy damage to the fighter, and repair it while still in space. I was in tacops, trying to get one of my shuttles to launch (which won't, bummer but oh well), I selected logistix from the tacops menu, clicked on crafts, saw the damage display, and just to see what would happen, I clicked on repairs, and ALL systems went up to 100%. Cool! exited out to cockpit mode, and ship flies like new, ship status in right-hand (CVD?) shows all systems good to go, but my armor and hull strentgh still shows damage.

Are you sure?

Can you reproduce it 100%?

You should not be able to repair any craft that is not docked on the CC or at a station/base.

quote:

Originally posted by Gryphon:

The weight is propagated along the chain. So no, this exploit does not exist in the upcoming patch.

quote:

Originally posted by Simparadox:

Except that
BCM doesn't use a real-world Newtonian physics model!
. Realistically, there should be no top speed (up until just under lightspeed) for ANY ship in the game, but there is. .

Actually, your top speed is determined by the amount of thrust you have. Something about the faster you go, the more thrust it takes to go faster. I think this is where they get the speed of light/infinite mass speculation, because from an acceleration viewpoint, you are trying to increase speed on an ever increasing mass.

So I think your shuttles top speed would be affected? No, wait, it would just take longer...Oh, man, now I have a headache...

I'll tweek the ol thrusters on my jetpack and try it....Where did I put that spare tractor beam?

Wetware

P.S. I'm not ingnoring you SC, I just read the VCF regarding your question.

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: WetWare ]

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: WetWare ]

1.0.02 is final and will be released later tonite. I have a game running for the past 7hrs and 28mins non-stop on three win98SE, win2K, winXP machines (yes, I'm invincible ) and with zero problems.

I have uploaded the final VCF

Short of any fatal problem, this will probably be the last patch until next year.

quote:

1.0.02 is final and will be released later tonite. I have a game running for the past 7hrs and 28mins non-stop on three win98SE, win2K, winXP machines (yes, I'm invincible ) and with zero problems.

Short of any fatal problem, this will probably be the last patch until next year.

Yes, I have a problem. Sometimes my ship refuses to respond to my commands, crew doesn't listen and a couple of seconds later it just blows up. I suspect you don't have that problem because you have invincibility on, so could you please turn it off and investigate why it happens. Also, it seems to happen in the middle of a very exciting moments, for example like fighting 2 stormcarriers and their fighters is one, ect... Thank you.

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: Soback ]

quote:

Good deal ... get on with your well deserved vacation!! December is half over for goodness sake. I can't wait to start playing again. I've been waiting for the final patch.

Happy Holidays SC!

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: Stroman ]

quote:

Originally posted by SmileyMan:

Looking forward to that VTOL landing ability. I've been trying to land by switching my engines off......

The version you have does support it. VTOL tries to keep you off the ground (thats the whole point), but FTOL doesn't. So, you can go down to a few feet off the ground in FTOL mode, let set your throttle to 0. The craft will drop to the ground under gravity. Once it touches the terrain, it will switch to TAXI mode.

The only change in this patch is that you can do this in VTOL mode by defeating its ground avoidance.