BCM Multiplayer Patch Details

Supreme Cmdr

Ouch, I feel for SC, and anybody else that is stuck on Dialup.

I am a new DSL customer as of the beginning of April, and all I can say is the internet hasn't been the same since.

My sister-in-law bought a new HP PC back in the beginning of '98. This machine came standard with a 28.8k modem. I didn't know it at the time, because she uses AOL. One time I was visiting and dialup my own ISP that I know is faster than 28.8. Low and behold a 28.8 connection. So I went ahead and got her a $20 56k modem.

Hell, if you are doing dialup, at least get the most speed out of it.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Man, I'd forgotten how excrutiating 56K was (I barely get 44Kbps on connect) was until these past weeks. It's nerve shattering to say the least.

hahahahahaha Sorry, couldn't resist

quote:

Hell, if you are doing dialup, at least get the most speed out of it.

Get a v.92 modem. A friends of mine gets 6-7k/s often. He has a very good isp too thought.

quote:

Originally posted by Tac:

you dont share connection when you have DSL?

I have cable and lately its impossible to get a decent connect

Most DSL connections are slower than what you can have on cable... but you can always be sure to have a stable connection. Sometimes the ping get a little bad (it was awful last december, but I read there was a burst of new members), but speeds stays good. And the line is yours as much as a phone line is yours.

with DSL, the line may be yours, but it has to go to a central router to be processed, and the distance to that central station makes the speeds drop

iv got cable, and iv had lil to no problems. i get some nice DL speeds and if ur worried about a shared network, u can DL Zonealarm, its a free firewall (then again my town is small enough were i have few ppl with cable)

thats my problem enigma. When I got my cable 2 years ago, it was awesome! My ping times to all my online games was below 80ms, download speeds for files were in the 100k range (never below 80!). Now, as the cable modem company shoved and stacked people on my line I cant even get 250ms ping on anything and my DL speeds are at 50k max.. and I ONLY seem to get decent connects after 11pm.

Thats why Im asking about the DSL... I really dont care if its a bit slower than cable, im interested in the ping times.

Well that depends on the isp.. but I have a 120ks/16ks connection, with pings averaging at 100-120 (on good servers), sometimes lower. I don't see speed decrease at anytime in the day, and it's very reliable. And DSL routers or methods of the kinds (I'm using a 10mbps hub as a router) makes you have a different ip for each computer and independent connections, which is very nice.

I might change ISP soon thought (I currently have Bell Sympatico) since they decided to put a 5 gig download cap. Last month, we did 8 gigs downloads... good thing we weren't billed for it... this month is still "free" thought, and we're already at 3 gigs. And I haven't been listening to internet radio very much lately (100 megs an hour!)

[ 06-11-2002, 02:25: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Tac:

Thats why Im asking about the DSL... I really dont care if its a bit slower than cable, im interested in the ping times.

Go to www.dslreports.com

And while we're at it, I am creating a new topic on the General Discussions forum for this; now that we've all taken this off-topic.

[ 06-11-2002, 17:04: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Guest Fox__Trot

Forgive us! oh I wasnt involved in that posting

Is the multiplayer service setup to need UDP packets *like battle.net requires so you can play* or is this just a wait and find out when the patch comes out question?

• 1 month later...

This is an excerpt from a troll laden thread I was replying to over the weekend.

TROLL:

quote:

Shouldnt you FINISH a product before you start a new one? You being a small developer and all.

EPSILON 5:

quote:

I've been thinking about that one myself...

DSMART:

quote:

And which game exactly, isn't finished?

Is there a law that says we can't work on several projects?

Multiplayer was NEVER a part of BCM. BCM shipped in the form it was intended and people bought it as such.

Multiplayer was always a FREE download add-on and I can change my mind at any time I bloody well feel like.

You must think that I want to just cobble together multiplayer (like so many other games, e.g. IWAR2) just so that I can say "...hey look, we have multiplayer, now go away". As complex as BC games are, its not that simple - which is why BCG is developed with multiplayer built-in and that code (like the other freebies I've added to BCM patches) will be used in BCM and BCM Gold. Why? because I'm smart, know my priorities and know my game. Only a complete git would think that you can just up and put in multiplayer in a game and call it a day. And people wonder why mp for real-time games, sucks to high heaven.

There you have it.

Further Epsilon 5 postings from a Usenet thread I just got sent this morning. The dialog below is between him, Huffman and the Usual Suspects.

quote:

The community did grow - but not as much as we expected. Both forums have less

activity than they used to have in, let's say early january. the BCC forum show

little activity, and even then most of it is from roleplays.

But I, as most of those I spoke with about this matter, believe that MP will be the

real trigger to the massive comeback (!) and a true growth in the community's size.

Probably not as much as other more populars games, but still alot. but - only time

will tell I suppose.

quote:

Well I don't know everyone - but I can say honestly that most people still think

he'll still eventually release MP, but are growing impatient about it. And some

stopped believing.

quote:

I really meant BCG - as it said looking at the next generation - the future of

space sims. BCM is already out, or at least most of it.

People piss me off. They want everything now and they want it on a silver plate. Game development takes years, sometimes a lot of years (Freelancer). So, people growing impatient is the last concern the developer, or the hard core players should worry about. By the way, if you are growing impatient about a game and showing it, that means you have no other priorites in your life other than to sit behind your computer and literally waste time waiting, that's WHY you get impatient. My advice for those people, get something else to do to fill up your time.

[ 07-22-2002, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: LordDavid ]

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

By the way, if you are growing impatient about a game and showing it, that means you have no other priorites in your life other than to sit behind your computer and literally waste time waiting, that's WHY you get impatient. My advice for those people, get something else to do to fill up your time.

LOL, so true.

Guest MIKE113

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

People piss me off. They want everything now and they want it on a silver plate. Game development takes years, sometimes a lot of years (Freelancer). So, people growing impatient is the last concern the developer, or the hard core players should worry about. By the way, if you are growing impatient about a game and showing it, that means you have no other priorites in your life other than to sit behind your computer and literally waste time waiting, that's WHY you get impatient. My advice for those people, get something else to do to fill up your time.

So true, I have a suggestion that works for me... read a book!!!

Guest Grayfox

well, like i said in an earlier thread... some people (i wont mention names again) need to get a life.

read a book, do a crossword puzzle, something ANYTHING but drive us crazy with your crying that your impatient because the games not completely finished, or MP isnt out yet... who cares!!! i enjoy whats out now, and i couldnt care if it took derek 20 years to put out mp i would still be happy until then.

sweet monkey jesus

...half the pricks *****ing about mp, don't even own the f*cking game.

But just wait, if they think when I made it so that you couldn't register to post unless you owned a valid game CD key, I was playing around. When they find that they can *never* login to the master servers and lobby without this key - nor can they ever hope to play on ANY server without it, thats when they'll come to realize - again - that whatever I do, comes from lots of thought and planning.

The master server lobby is going to be just like this web forum. You don't have a valid CD key (and other authentication checks), you're not even getting in the lobby - let alone be able to chat or host/join a game room.

Just wait.

That's right. Don't have the game, what possible business do you have in the lobby or MP? And if you have a pirated game, then you don't even belong to this comunity because you have made no contribution that entitles you to play the game or interact in MP (be it just chating in the loby or playing MP).

Guest Grayfox

it will definitely be a nice change of pace. troll levels kept to a bare minimum, and everyone online playing you pretty much know anyways.

mmmm nothing like a nice relaxing troll free frag session on mars' surface