BCM 1.0.08 RC patches. Discuss!!

Supreme Cmdr

The 1.0.08 patch is a major undertaking, compared to the original 1.0 release and indeed the 1.0.07 patch released back on 03/07/02. As such, there are fixes, lots of tweaks, revisions etc. All of which are already in game engines which make up the kernel of BCG and BCO.

The next patch will be the final (i.e. RC24 will becoming the final 1.0.08 patch) version. Then its multiplayer RC patches from that point on.

So, this topic is for the discussion of where we were and where we are now.

All discussions about this patch go in here. Feature requests will be deleted on sight.

[ 11-04-2002, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This patch seems to work well for me. Well done SC!

Last night I watched 5 of my Elite marines take out all the the air defence systems of an insurgent base. Tonight I think I'll send in my fighters to finish the job!

The only prob I found (and is only a small prob), is the marines are not always very good at navigating around buildings (esp. L shaped buildings). Saw one guy just stuck in the courner of a building once. Had to evac him and teleport him back somewhere else.

Appart from that I haven't come accross any bugs so it looks all set for MP.

Once again well done SC and keep up the good work!

quote:

Originally posted by LBM:

The only prob I found (and is only a small prob), is the marines are not always very good at navigating around buildings (esp. L shaped buildings). Saw one guy just stuck in the courner of a building once. Had to evac him and teleport him back somewhere else.

Doh! I thought I fixed that. Maybe I did in BCG but didn't merge the code into BCM. The problem is not about navigating, its about turning. Sometimes - depending on how fast they move - they are slow to turn and end up colliding repeatedly during their attempt to turn away from the obstacle.

I was going to have that fix merged at the same time as the units sinking into the terrain with steep inclines, but must've missed it. It will be in the final (RC24 will become the final official patch) release of course.

I'm glad to report NOT A SINGLE MAJOR PROBLEM on my end. Most of the trouble I have is just having my computer hang or lag, which it does anyway.

It's so freaking stable compared to the original release.

It's been nice and good. And I've been getting better framerates recently, opposed to 1.0.07. Which I'm hella grateful for. (And I can't believe it's been like 8+ months since 1.0.07..... Time's been outta synch for me recently. )

quote:

#2 by spiflication on 11/2/2002 12:52:39 AM PST

is this the patch that makes it a game?

No, it makes it THE GAME.

If I find any trouble, I'll be sure to report it.

Ok, think I found something, hoping its not documented somewhere esle, I havent noticed it anywhere yet.

When I start a new campain(only happens in campain)I noticed on launch I can target the vegabond and several other space craft, but thiers no ships picture display and you cant lock onto them and fly to them under auto, seems like thier cloaked and I still pick them up, did I miss a section somewhere about this?

I did a total game wipe and reinstalled with the new patches (RC23 and jetpack)

I'll run and hide now

[ 11-03-2002, 02:34 AM: Message edited by: DreilDrag ]

Did you install the patch correctly?

(Second step is greyed out. You should do it, but I'm not sure. The downloads page states that 1.0.08 RC23 is a FULL patch, while I haven't heard any other word from SC. If it is a full patch, you could go ahead and install that RC patch first thing, but if that doesn't work, then it's obvious you should try the other route.)

[*]Install BCM

[*]Copy the 1.0.07 FULL patch .exe file to the BCM directory, and run it from there. NOT THE DESKTOP OR IT WON'T CORRECTLY INSTALL.

[*]Copy the 1.0.08 RC23 patch to the BCM directory and install.

[*]Unzip the models update into the BCM folder.

I myself have been having models disappear once in a while, but that's because I've been doing graphics tweaking recently. Changed the settings back to defaults, and that helped me. If you're tweaking some stuff, try undoing that Dreil.

Oh yes, and also. I've been having some sort of graphic anomoly happening, regardless of graphics settings. Once in a while, while in hyperspace, if I use an external camera to view some objects, I'll see some phantom particle trails (yes, I have them active) where the center of the screen is. Other times, I'll see them floating around, usually in front of a station. I can tell it's obviously something not intentionally put in or some sort of in-game thing, because they're my trails, in the sense that if I disengage thrust, the trail slows down and disappears as if it's on my ship.

Happens in 800x600 and 1024x800, both 16bit and 32bit, regardless of what ship I've used.

I'll do a re-install of BCM and report back in ASAP to see if it's just an install problem.

[ 11-02-2002, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

Yes, did a total wipe of game directory, did as follows

1.Wipe old game directory, manual erased left over directories

2.Fresh install 1.0

3.Patch to 1.0.7

4.Patch to 1.0.8RC23 from installed directory

5.Patch to 1.0.8RC23 jetpack from installed directory

6.Start game in campain mode(only in campain does this happen)

7.Logout and after launch got the Vegabond and severlal other craft on radar, however they act as cloaked (blue dots an radar, no ship model displayed and cannot set coords to by auto)

**Note: tried with and without step 3, same results**

Also like stated below when alt-tabing the planets loose thier graphics(thier simply black holes) and all my ship icons from the bridgeviewer disappear(power,shield meters etc as well as shuttle/fighter craft icons)

PS. Thanks for the dictonary weblink SC, its helping me alot

[ 11-03-2002, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: DreilDrag ]

quote:

Originally posted by DreilDrag:

Also like stated below when alt-tabing the planets loose thier graphics(thier simply black holes) and all my ship icons from the bridgeviewer disappear(power,shield meters etc as well as shuttle/fighter craft icons)

Yeah. It's been like that forever. Don't alt-tab. It's not the kind of game that likes it. You wouldn't alt-tab out of Unreal Tournament 2003, would you? Go into a menu, say, Tactical or Logistix, and come back to the bridge, and it should correct. (I've done it before.) If all else fails, just save the game, quit, and re-open it. It's worked for me in the past.

---

I've verified that 1.0.08 is stand-alone. Like with big capital letters in the exe file that says "REQUIRES any previous version of BCM".

Anywhoo. Reinstalled BCM and re-patched (skipped 1.0.07), to no avail. Same graphical glitch as before. Here's the stuff:

Happens in 1024x768, 800x600, with 32bit and 16bit screen depth. I'll fiddle with the texture bit depths, just for the hell of it later.

http://siteadmin.keenspace.com/~fgofa/orio...ts/PHOTO001.jpg (196k)

Really bad pic. Okay. I know. But still. The particle trail is circled.

http://siteadmin.keenspace.com/~fgofa/orio...ts/PHOTO002.jpg (93k)

In the middle, next to the debris and hyperjump exit point. It's one of those colorized contrails such as the one used on the Stormcarrier. Another not-so-good image of this glitch.

http://siteadmin.keenspace.com/~fgofa/orio...ts/PHOTO003.jpg (62k)

http://siteadmin.keenspace.com/~fgofa/orio...ts/PHOTO004.jpg (61k)

The best pics I have, considering there are two, and the camera actually let me zoom in this time. From both angles you can see the contrail. I'm in hyperspace at the moment of these images, heading to the Regis-IV jump point, using the Starwarrior, which uses that same red contrail.

The jpeg compression killed some of the visibility of the first two pics, but the last two work around it.

The glitch only happened after I installed the new RC23. During the pre-23 patches, including the RC18, the hybrid RC18, and previous patches, I didn't have this problem. I'll have to take a wild guess (even though that isn't always the best plan ), and guess that it's probably got something to do with the specialfx/graphics/camera update(s) in recent patches, such as the "specialfx particles revisions" in RC23.

That's as much as I can say. BTW, with bitmap contrails set, it still happens, with the little bitmap images floating around in the same fashion.

[ 11-02-2002, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

quote:

Being in the MARINES myself, them not figuring out how to get around some buildings isnt to far from real life

LMAO!!!! Oh, don't you start that in this thread. Thats for the General Discussions thread...along with all that political skirmish thats going on over there.

quote:

When I start a new campain(only happens in campain)I noticed on launch I can target the vegabond and several other space craft, but thiers no ships picture display and you cant lock onto them and fly to them under auto, seems like thier cloaked and I still pick them up, did I miss a section somewhere about this?

Are you running with any commandline debug flags turned on? You should only see invisible (i.e. not yet activated) objects in the debug build. If you are seeing them in the release build and with/without commandline debug flags, then I must have left an option enabled by accident.

EDIT:

Reproduced and disabled this one. As I suspected, it was an errant commented code block. This feature is only supported in the debug build - for script debugging purposes, because it allows you to see inactive units (scripted or otherwise) as Blue dots.

quote:

Yes, did a total wipe, did as follows

100% of that is wrong. All you have to do is uninstall the game, kill the folder, install from CD and apply RC23.

quote:

Originally posted by TheBunny:

I have had a problem with alt-tab while playing. When i use that to switch and do something else when i go back in its all glitchy. My guess is that BCM is not meant to do that. Using alt-tab seems to mess up alot of games

doh! u think?

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Nova:

I didn't have this problem. I'll have to take a wild guess (even though that isn't always the best plan ), and guess that it's probably got something to do with the specialfx/graphics/camera update(s) in recent patches, such as the "specialfx particles revisions" in RC23.

That is correct. Any such anomalies are camera related.

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

Graphics anomaly reported by Cmdr Nova
CONFIRMED

Need an official report, SC?

Yes please and with steps to reproduce.

[ 11-03-2002, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Utterly clueless fools like those in that VE3D thread are always good for a laugh. So many things they say that are so blatantly untrue, its almost sad.

About ground/air vehicle shots, is there some bitmap I can change to get em back to what they were before?

[ 11-03-2002, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: Kartoffel ]

quote:

Originally posted by Kartoffel:

Utterly clueless fools like those in that VE3D thread are always good for a laugh. So many things they say that are so blatantly untrue, its almost sad.

heh, thats the Net for you.

quote:

About ground/air vehicle shots, is there some bitmap I can change to get em back to what they were before?

No. They don't use bitmaps and as I said in the tech support forum, they use 3D shots now and which, like guns and fp weapons, are scaled according to the gun. Read the VCF entry for 1.0.08 RC20. When I release the GBS-II tools, you'll know how to change the type of shots that a unit uses - and do it yourself.

[ 11-03-2002, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

I've just released an interim RC24 update to the testers which fixes some reported problems. I need to address one more issue related to invisible objects showing up in the release build and I'll have this small (2.5MB) RC24 update mirrored tomorrow.

Check the VCF for the list of changes in RC24

Supreme Commander:

I just read those flames that losers at the VE3D site posted. If you'd like, sir, I can take an elite team from the Odyssey and show some of them just exactly what kind of flames a Battlecruiser can exhale.... But, to do that, I'd be messing with the timeline, since this is the 31st century. In the early 2000's, they just didn't make many people with brains, huh? From history, that seems such a rarity.

I'll await your orders in spacedock, Sir. Odyssey out.