BCM 1.0.08 RC patches. Discuss!!

Supreme Cmdr

I'm really sorry about that... I checked the VCF....but it was really late and there are just so many Items in the 1.08 patch... I guess I missed it.

I know that you've been working hard on this patch SC, so I hope you accept the following in the spirit in which it is given.

I've been doing the math, and at this speed it would take about 166.6 Minutes or 2.7 hours of game time to travel 150k km ( a distance I selected for the average distance between anomalies....I know that this number is incorrect) and about 1166.2 minutes or 19.43 hours for a long range probe to complete it's remaining 7 jumps.

After going "in game" to look at this some more, The TIR shows over 650,000 km between the "to earth" jump point and the " to Sirius" wormhole, in the Jupiter zone....I don't understand that, if the zones are 250k km, but that journey would take the probe over 12 hours game time ...( it also happens to be where I launched the probe in question and the order that I gave it) .

As is, the benefits of carrying anything other than short range probes are neglible, especially in a military sense.

When designing the probes did you ever consider giving them a "burn-out" hyperdrive. Please forgive my ignorance, I really don't know how much of a problem it would be to write the code for something like that.

[ 11-09-2002, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Stormshadow ]

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Stormshadow:

After going "in game" to look at this some more, The TIR shows over 650,000 km between the "to earth" jump point and the " to Sirius" wormhole, in the Jupiter zone....I don't understand that, if the zones are 250k km, but that journey would take the probe over 12 hours game time ...( it also happens to be where I launched the probe in question and the order that I gave it) .

The regions are about 2 million km edge-to-edge. Some are 2.5 million km. I missed a decimal point in my previous post (corrected).

To measure the region extents all you have to do is go to tacops, don't change the view, then set two waypoints on the lower-left and top-left corners of the grid. The number between the two gives you the rough distance.

Those two jump anomalies you mentioned are about 950km apart.

I understand the numbers. But the fact is that at the 150K m/s speed, nothing will be able to catch up with or match speed with a probe. In fact, I think there are a few probes in some ACM missions which are targets for destruction or something.

I'll probably end up increasing the speed a little (but nowhere as close as 150K m/s) or just give them jump engines.

EDIT:

Read this

[ 11-09-2002, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

(Running 1.0.0.8 RC24 with the probe speed update) I can't seem to get shuttles to RTB after they've deployed their mining drones without going through an extra, unrelated step.

**DELETED**

[ 11-10-2002, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Ive been able to get shuttles off the ground by adding an extra waypoint in their initial orders. IE. waypont 1=deploy drone, waypoint 2= proceed to next. This doesn't seem to work as well if you add the 2nd waypoint after the shuttle has already landed.

I have a similar problem towing disabled ships. My shuttle will go to the disabled ship just fine, but will not respond to a 'deliver to' order....

**DELETED**

[ 11-10-2002, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

I've removed the bulk of two posts and deleted an entire post (LBM).

The next time I see any thread clogging posts about an item documented in the VCF (either in the todo, revision or things-you-should-know section), I will delete the post and suppress the posting rights of the offender.

First warning

LAST warning

You HAVE been warned!

Do NOT clog my boards with rubbish. I'm NOT kidding!! If you gits are too lazy to actually read comprehensive documentation, uninstall the damn game and get the hell OFF my board!

The whole purpose of me taking time to write up docs, specs, hints and the like, is so that people actually READ them. And yes, it DOES piss me off when I come here looking for important posts, only to find a mixture of nonsensical rubbish and speculation.

I swear I'm going to start banning repeat offenders without warning.

[ 11-10-2002, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

I hope this doesn't fall into the above category (I searched the VCF for "perscan"), but the location and FF of some personnel aren't being displayed in perscan if their FF is above 85 (approx.), and their LF is above 90(approx.). To replicate, try shutting off power to life support for a little while. As the crew gets injured, their LF will go down, and their FF will go up. This alone probably won't allow the crewman to fit the above criteria, but when a medic comes along and patches up the crewman, his LF will probably go back above 90, leaving his FF above 85. I also noticed that if I restore life support, and send the crew off duty, the information will gradually reappear as their FF falls below 85.

This applies to all people on board (although I can't verify prisoners, guests, and intruders, I would guess that it applies to them as well), except for the commander, whose FF is perpetually at zero.

quote:

Originally posted by Urza:

I hope this doesn't fall into the above category (I searched the VCF for "perscan"), but the location and FF of some personnel aren't being displayed in perscan if their FF is above 85 (approx.), and their LF is above 90(approx.). To replicate, try shutting off power to life support for a little while. As the crew gets injured, their LF will go down, and their FF will go up. This alone probably won't allow the crewman to fit the above criteria, but when a medic comes along and patches up the crewman, his LF will probably go back above 90, leaving his FF above 85. I also noticed that if I restore life support, and send the crew off duty, the information will gradually reappear as their FF falls below 85.

This applies to all people on board (although I can't verify prisoners, guests, and intruders, I would guess that it applies to them as well), except for the commander, whose FF is perpetually at zero.

Sorta got same thign. In 16bit, if a person's FF or LF is in the lowest range (0-30?) then the text is like, black, which appears invisible on the black background. I've used Commlink or Roster to get around this at some times. You can also play in 32bit, where the color scheme for Perscan is different.

quote:

I hope this doesn't fall into the above category (I searched the VCF for "perscan"), but the location and FF of some personnel aren't being displayed in perscan if their FF is above 85 (approx.), and their LF is above 90(approx.).

Rubbish

See Nova's post. Then read my response.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Nova:

Sorta got same thign. In 16bit, if a person's FF or LF is in the lowest range (0-30?) then the text is like, black, which appears invisible on the black background.

The information is there, its just displayed in a darker color maybe?

What I did notice was that I started a new game, then quit and ran the following in Playmod

playmod wound marine 0 95

playmod wound marine 1 85

playmod wound marine 2 75

playmod wound marine 3 55

And the LF/FF showed up for the marines as Blue in Perscan and bright-red in Tactical/Crew. This looks like a driver issue because I just checked the code and the color coding is identical. And it worked fine on another machine (i.e. Perscan and Tactical/Crew both showed Red color for injured personnel).

Until I figure out what the heck is going on, if you must know, use Tactical/Crew.

[ 11-10-2002, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

The station inventory of some items is very large after a few hours of game time (around 65000). Since this is about the maximum value of an unsigned int(I think), I would guess that these values are being subtracted below zero, causing them to wrap around to these obsene values. To replicate, just start a new game, and let a few hours of time pass, and check the station inventory.

quote:

The station inventory of some items is very large after a few hours of game time (around 65000). Since this is about the maximum value of an unsigned int(I think), I would guess that these values are being subtracted below zero, causing them to wrap around to these obsene values. To replicate, just start a new game, and let a few hours of time pass, and check the station inventory.

If you're not going to give a proper description of the problem, complete with reason why you think its wrong, let me know, so that I can delete your post.

And whats obscene about 65000 of an item? It never did occur to you that the number could be capped at a max amount? Of course not.

But as I said, your post makes no sense to me. Unless I'm missing something.

[ 11-10-2002, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

If you're not going to give a proper description of the problem, complete with reason why you think its wrong, let me know, so that I can delete your post.

And whats obscene about 65000 of an item? It never did occur to you that the number could be capped at a max amount? Of course not.

But as I said, your post makes no sense to me. Unless I'm missing something.

Nothing, it just seemed odd that only a few items were at 65000 (Titanium/V, for example, something that is usually at a few hundred at most), while the rest were under 10000. Yes, I knew that it reaches a point where the number doesn't go up anymore (I was selling something, and the station count didn't go up). If this is correct, I apologize for wasting your time.

quote:

Nothing, it just seemed odd that only a few items were at 65000 (Titanium/V, for example, something that is usually at a few hundred at most), while the rest were under 10000. Yes, I knew that it reaches a point where the number doesn't go up anymore (I was selling something, and the station count didn't go up).

Ah, ok. I thought you noticed numbers jumping from one extreme to the next e.g. 10000, then 65000 all of a sudden.

quote:

If this is correct, I apologize for wasting your time.[/QB]

uhm, not a problem! I'm not against reporting strange problems (you should know this). What I don't like is people not first reading the VCF, checking and making sure of what the hell they're talking about, before posting. If I allowed that, this board will be as cluttered with rubbish as every game related board on the Net.

In fact, I looked at the code (just to be sure) and even though it was likely that the station's inventory would get to those numbers, over time, it probably can; because right now its an unsigned short because prior to a previous BCM update, the station inventory was fixed once initialized at the start of a new game. Since the update in which the station can be replenished by NPC traders (as well as players), depending on how often they dock to trade (add/remove items), it may go very high - outside the limits of this type. So, if you're seeing 65000, its probably either capped or wrapped around. So now I've changed it to an unsigned long. Let me see an inventory item go that high.

I'm guessing it's the wraparound, since there aren't any items at all between 10000 and 65000 (I've checked several stations), and I doubt a station would get 65000 of an exotic item like Titatium V in just one day. Or 65000 frag grenades, and just 1000 smoke grenades? How about 65000 ZS10 rifles and just 1200 Type 2 clips?

My guess: An NPC tries to buy, say 1000 of an item that the station only has 500 in stock. This transaction is mistakenly permitted, and as the 1000 is deducted, the value is wrapped around to 65035.(or now 4295966795, which may overflow the display)

Yep, thats quite possible. But I've made sure that doesn't happen at all. Not that it will, since the value is clamped.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Until I figure out what the heck is going on, if you must know, use Tactical/Crew.

This is definitely a driver problem because not only is the info actually displayed (contrary to your post that the info is not displayed), it is also correct. You might want to check your monitor's gamma/brightness/contrast using a program like DisplayMate

I'm going to have to revise the Perscan coloring scheme to get around this, so that it matches the same coloring scheme as Tactical/Crew.

[ 11-11-2002, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• 2 weeks later...

SC, I'm wondering if old save games [i.E. 1.0.0.8 R.C.25] would work with R.C.28. Just asking because after install all the save files were deleted, but I did not see it anywhere in the VCF stating that old saves would not work. I just wanted to make sure.

(Stupid me forgot to back my newest ones up before I did this though... uggg )

Just wondering. Now that you have taken the command options from the AE when on planets, how do we mark the AE for evac via transporter?

BTW, nice one for fixing the marines not engaging prob. Had a great time clearing an insurgent base but it was afterwards that I noticed the above prob. Couldn't be arsed to wait for a shuttle.

Oh, one last thing. I don't think it's anything to do with the game (definatly not patch related) but for some reason my BACKSPACE button don't toggle walk/run anymore. The button on the keyboard itself works just not in game. It's been working forever until now, just wondering if you had any ideas on what's causing this?

quote:

Originally posted by LBM:

Just wondering. Now that you have taken the command options from the AE when on planets, how do we mark the AE for evac via transporter?

Did you try it?

quote:

Oh, one last thing. I don't think it's anything to do with the game (definatly not patch related) but for some reason my BACKSPACE button don't toggle walk/run anymore. The button on the keyboard itself works just not in game. It's been working forever until now, just wondering if you had any ideas on what's causing this?[/QB]

Works fine here. Buy a new keyboard

I tried it but couldn't figure it out at time. When you click on your AE just gives you the zoom back and add to priority list options. Will try again incase I missed something.

I don't need to buy a new keyboard, I have 100's stashed in me cupboard. Will try that though, but the key only dosn't work in the game, it works in Windows. Nevermind my problem.

quote:

Originally posted by LBM:

I tried it but couldn't figure it out at time. When you click on your AE just gives you the zoom back and add to priority list options. Will try again incase I missed something.

OK, confirm it so that I can look into it. If its missing, then I can just add that option only to the AE.

quote:

I don't need to buy a new keyboard, I have 100's stashed in me cupboard. Will try that though, but the key only dosn't work in the game, it works in Windows. Nevermind my problem.

Well, try a new keyboard first. I just tried it on three machines and it works fine. Nothing has been done with the keyboard, so I don't see why it would just stop working. Anyone else having this problem?

Same here for me SC. Can't mark my AE for EVAC. Exactly as LBM described. I'm using RC28.

I don't have the backspace problem; works fine here.

[ 11-29-2002, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: MerfGlurf ]

This has probley been answered before, but iv looked through most of the forums and all of the VCF and I still can't find it. Well the problem happened after I installed the RC23 patch and when I went to run the game it went through the splash screen and just went back to the desktop afterward.

I tried the following to fix this, first I reinstalled the game, ran it, and it ran fine. Then I installed the 1.00.7 patch and then ran it, once again it ran fine. Finally I installed the RC23 patch and tried to run it with no success.

So after that I got the new update which was RC28 and installed that, ran the game, and then screamed becasue it didnt work.

Iv tried adjust video settings and iv made sure that all of my drivers are up to date. Iv done several of the diffrent debug extensions and none of them had any effect on the game.

If anybody knows what could be causing this please tell me and if no one can tell me then I was wondering if there was a log file for the game or if there was anyway I could see what was happening in the background while the game was loading.

[ 12-04-2002, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Gallion ]

I had that problem.

It was solved when SC told me to download the patchs INTO the BCM folder, DO NOT download them to the desktop,Download em to your BCM folder and extract them from there

See if that solves yer problem