BCM GBS

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see mods floating around in the near future...

Can we literally modify the universe? Is there a way to "add" a gate that will lead to a new area (will the Vesperon finally build their procyon link?)

If there is any mods that will be floating around, I think the "high-detail" BCM mod will be the most popular!

Counterstrike for BCM!

How much POWER will BCM GBS have. Can we change the gravity on the planets? Can we make new planets, new jump point, new weapons? Can we change the items around? Can we affect the core stuffs: like making gravity in outer space?

$iLk *shakes head* This first release is going to be pushed back further and further with the wish lists...

hehe. Then again I am not in too big of a rush. The more stuff to play with the better. my favorite games have always been those you can add to when bored of the same old same old. i used to make mods for games but haven't in awhile. This game from what the demo contained will be very friendly towards modders. Textures, Sounds, and Missions at least are moddable. Once new ships are made and new weapons, maybe even new planets... wow

Well, I'll act like the SC on this one.

quote:

How much POWER will BCM GBS have. Can we change the gravity on the planets?

Yes.

quote:

Can we make new planets, new jump point,

Yes.

quote:

new weapons?

No.

quote:

Can we change the items around?

Er, I'll have to get SC to answer that one. Not sure what you mean entirely. But referring to ship loadouts,

Yes.

quote:

Can we affect the core stuffs: like making gravity in outer space?

No.

Hope I'm right, and hope that helps.

[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: Spuzzum ]

BCM GBS will allow players to script their own missions and campaigns.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Now before all you ladies go whinning, "but what about ... " Ladies screwing around with the BCM Universe environment can be likened to a bull in a china shop - aka disaster waiting to happen. Mission/Campaign scripting is more than enough and will boogle and fry the minds of most of you ladies. Don't believe me? Try coming up with a simple script for the BC3K GBS. BCM GBS is a powerful and unforgiving scripting tool but a simple tool once one gets the knack of it. Those that can code HTML (note the lack of reference to a GUI interface HTML editor) should have no difficulty picking up BCM GBS nuances.

Enjoy

TTFN

[ 06-21-2001: Message edited by: Gallion ]

quote:

... screwing around with the BCM Universe environment can be likened to a bull in a china shop - aka disaster waiting to happen.

I remember a post here in the GBS section, from SpcFX if I'm not mistaken, quite some time ago (years). Where he was fooling around with damage factors of some type of missile, to make the motherF*-of-all missiles. Appearantly he was succesfull with it, because when he got the game running, one of those missiles was launched by an NPC and very deliberatly heading up his tailpipe, curring him from any constipation problems he might have had.

The lesson to be learned here is that whatever you change/tweek to the game world in expected favor of your alterego, can and/or will be used against you.

Ending with a very famous quote...

quote:

You have been warned!

[ 06-21-2001: Message edited by: Rico Jansen ]

I've been lurking and smiling to myself for the past 2 weeks, well all right rolling on the floor at times.

I knew once Gallion was back he'd have something to say on this topic

I have been waiting with anticipation for your post LOL

Ladies, eh? I'll have you know that the last time I checked, I was male!

Seriously, though, I can code HTML that is W3C HTML 4.01 Compliant. So I should have no foreseeable problems. (I also use a high-level programming/scripting language called "DM", so I should have no foreseeable problems at all. )

GUI HTML? Gah, don't even mention the phrase. I despise those, have despised those, and always will despise those. It's not coding, its having to obey someone else's rules needlessly. (Dreamweaver, for example, practically disgusts me. )

(I told you I was a jack-of-all-trades, and I woin't kiddin'. )

Anyway, Baloogan, I'm not sure if you can rename items. If you could, I'm figuring that it wouldn't be of much use...

(That is, why the heck would a vessel be carrying computer games from a thousand years in the past?! )

Leave it to lil' ol' Spuzzum to ignore a thread for several days even though he's completely active elsewhere on the forum.

I learn very fast... I've done some Turbo pascal younger, and I can edit html... 'cause N-composer f*** up my files sometimes!

I will learn. I have the intention of satifying the general masses with skirmishes "à la" Freespace Make battle waves, heavy barrages and starstation assaults (heh, orion like )

In fact, I intend on making an Orion battle training pack.

• 4 weeks later...

perhaps this is an incredibly dumb question, but not being a programmer and therefore not 'in the know' of the jargon, I would just like to ask;

does this mean that certain aspects of BCM, for example the First person mode can be made into a full campaign all on it's own? or does the entire game have to be changed for the 'mini' mod to function?

sorry if this sounds really stupid....

why is that weird? I was thinking along the lines of a 'bonus' mini campaign that would be triggered if you land on a planet and accept a certain mission.... for example a scenario involving hostage taking in an embassy or something and you have to assemble a squad to rescue some Galcom dignitaries or whatever the plot may be, but that it would be (not necessarily) essential to participate in a squad based series of missions to successfully resolve the issue in question.

I have crazy ideas sometimes.