Random events?

Feature wishlist for GBS-II may allready closed, if there ever was one. But I'd still like to propose a small addition to extending gameplay. To have people in suspense when playing ACMs.

What I have in mind is a "random" command like any programming language has. That generates a random number, possibly between a specified limit. This command is to be regarded like any other number, but only computed at runtime.

The main purpose I have for it is to script truely random events. For example randomly timed. With the original ACMs in mind, once a mission starts you know when the next begins. (add setup,main and resolve fase and there you have it) What if the player doesn't know when the next begins? As far as I've dug into the GBS-I docs there is no such a thing at the moment. There are many things going on in BC3K that are chosen at random (ie random AG AI skills, random race/caste selection), but nothing that you can specify to BE random.

And perhaps related to this, SC have you considered adding arithmetic operators and numerical variables to GBS. To support the logical descision with IF/THEN/ELSE/ENDIF. I'm not asking for it's implementation. I'm sure it's another complexity factor one doesn't like to put development time in. But there's allways a hint.

First - no wishlist possible.

Second - There is a random generator already in GBS; it is called the Game!

Third - by using the signal the_whatever_you_what,X (where X = the time) in conjunction with the

[events]

!the_whatever_you_what

scripted actions can seem random.

Not all action events need to take place within a mission or ACM.

TTFN

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: Gallion ]

While we're on the topic of wishlist items...*laugh*

What I'd like to see in GBS-II (I've only had some limited experience with GBS original) is a way to activate an event when one of the player's craft reaches something.

There is a !reach this (or something like that) in GBS but that can only be set on NPC objects.

For example, if I want to script a mission where a marine has to reach a particular bunker on the planet. I can create the bunker, but I have no way of influencing the script when he arrives.

IS this possible in GBS-II?

Last time - NO wish lists

Now to the question, what you are asking Desylva is already in GBS, which means that it will carry over.

Use the IF HERE ... THEN

IF HERE Player/BC THEN signal reach_location or ACTIVATE xyz1

ELSE blah, blah, blah

OR...

Use the !arrived blah, blah, blah

The stuff is in GBS already, the challenge is using one's imagination and sluething skils to find it

TTFN

Just to continue the discussion (no more wish lists, I promise...*grin*)

It's been a while since I used GBS, but IIRC, the IF HERE command checks the entire region for an object. What I'm searching for is a way to call a patricular event when a player craft actually reaches the object - ie. comes within a certain range of it. Is this possible?

And I'm not sure about the !arrived command.

OK, lemme see if I understand this..

You're not up to speed on the GBS, but you're asking questions about GBS-II?

uhm, OK.

Anyway, what you're asking, is the most simple aspect of the GBS and which can be achieved using a variety of methods - one of which is what Gallion posted.

In fact, the !reach event will do the same thing, without even requiring a user event. As long as the object can reach that target, this event will return true.

One line is all it takes.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

You're not up to speed on the GBS, but you're asking questions about GBS-II?

You bet. Just on my way to the nearest airlock...*grin*.

quote:

Anyway, what you're asking, is the most
simple
aspect of the GBS and which can be achieved using a variety of methods - one of which is what Gallion posted.

I stand corrected. My scripts were always a little over ambitious anyway - they used to do all sorts of kooky things when they fired my poor overworked computer...*grin*.

-GD