3d file formats...

cougarxg1

I was wondering if BCM accepts any 3d file formats besides 3d Max such as .dxf, 3ds or Lightwave file formats? Any assistance on this would greatly help me in adding a few new models to the game! (not that I want to change the game just want to add more diversity in ships )

Well if that aint a punch in the ol pickle.... So anyone have 3ds max that can make model conversions for me? You will be rewarded with beta rights and a nice section in the credits :P

PS-I have the models but they are in 3ds format. I can put them in .dxf format if it makes things any easier...

quote:

Originally posted by cougarxg1:

Well if that aint a punch in the ol pickle.... So anyone have 3ds max that can make model conversions for me? You will be rewarded with beta rights and a nice section in the credits
:P

PS-I have the models but they are in 3ds format. I can put them in .dxf format if it makes things any easier...

LOL!! The game isn't even out yet and he's already modding it. heh

Well not really modding the game as such as adding new ships and fighters. Your game dynamics are awesome SC and wouldnt dare touch them but there are some really sexy ships out there

I would not be surprised if BCM is still being played many years down the road with user mods and a developer like SC who actually cares about his work!

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: cougarxg1 ]

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: cougarxg1 ]

On a related item, anyone know where I can get a student priced copy of Discreet 3dstudio max 4 less than $1000?

Or SC where can I get a cheaper version of 3.1 or something?

I've got Rhino, and Lightwave. Don't know how to use well yet though.

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

On a related item, anyone know where I can get a student priced copy of Discreet 3dstudio max 4 less than $1000?

Or SC where can I get a cheaper version of 3.1 or something?

I've got Rhino, and Lightwave. Don't know how to use well yet though.

No need. I think their scaled down version called GMax, is free.

We're talking about import only, right? There isn't a way to export .3d files to 3DSMax, is there? If there is, I'd be greatful if someone could give instructions or point me at the right thread.

I heard about GMAX, thought about buying their full one or whatever. I know the limited GMAX is free, is it enough to do what modelling I need? For inside levels in a game and characters/vehicles if need be?

I know that full Gmax comes with the $1100 developer pack for 3ds4

I am interested in putting my developing ideas (I have a cool game idea) and limited programming knowledge (Visual Basic, some C++, Windows Programming in C++,limited understanding of DirectX components) to test.

I have hardly any 3d manipulation learning yet, though in Photoshop I am good on an intermediate level, so I can do my 2d textures.

I will check out Gmax, and Ep5 I will email you this afternoon.

----------------------------------

Thanks SC, for your willingness to help your fans - and for inspiring us would-be developers to think outside the normal industry standard in coming out ahead on what the gamers want.

I just never can get over how I have immediate access to a game developer, of a game I love, just by logging on to the internet and this site. Talk about wanting to learn how to make games and here is a well known developer ready to help out, damn.

---------------------------------

Sorry I just had one of those moments of self reflection where I look at everything and realize shit. Oh well, any good resources (book wise) that you recommend for learning about 3d modelling and such? I bought the 3ds4 bible and am fixing to bid on a book on ebay that tells how to model asteroid impacts and running water. I have used Bryce 4 to do still shots of terrain, is it useful in modelling terrain for 3d games?

quote:

We're talking about import only, right? There isn't a way to export .3d files to 3DSMax, is there? If there is, I'd be greatful if someone could give instructions or point me at the right thread.

If it works like I think, you have a plugins folder in 3dsmax 3.1 or whatever, put the .3d plugins into there and it should allow it to export as 3dsmax format.

A new version of BCStudio, along with the compliant pluging for BCM Gold, will be released along with GBS-II

If $ilk is sending you the plugin, make sure you get both the plugins (Max 2/3) as well as the HTML file which shows you how to use the plugin. If you don't do it properly, you won't be able to view the exported file in BCS.

Badgerius, and anyone who wants to download BC Studio (the .zip file that used to be on 3000ad.com's BCM Downloads), and the Appendix and Tutorial, come see my Newbie Info Page, and scroll all the way down, to the downloads section. (Note the info there is constantly being updated.) I've mirrored the BCM Appendix (also have an unzipped, 'browsable' HTML copy, see below), the BCM Tutorial (ditto), BC3K Manual, and BC Studio.

BCM Appendix (here)

BCM Tutorial (here)

You don't know how much work I'm putting out to get ready for all those newbies, coming when BCM is on the shelves. (I call it the BCM "Newbie Flood".) I code my HTML by hand, thank you, and I have bad phone lines (limiting me to 27k) and uploaded those downloads (10 MB) yesterday for over an hour.... (You know how big the Galaxy Map images are???? And then there's the BCM Appendix, .ZIPped, and the BC3k Manual, and......)

Thank me later once the "Newbie Flood" comes. "Nova's Ark" is being built.

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

heh, what a waste of upload bandwidth. The appendix data is completely different and included on the BCM CDROM.

Gallion made some changes (he forgot to do the EP tables) and those will be uploaded to the downloads page once BCM goes live.

• 3 weeks later...

After downloading and fiddling with the plugin, I've discovered that it's a save-only plugin. So no importing BCM ships into 3d Studio. (Please jump in and let me know if this is incorrect)

Well, I'm disapointed if not surprised. I had hoped to use some shuttles and freighters in my renderings for the corporate areas of prime's stations, and give the images a more distinctly BCM feel.

Oh well, you can't have it all, can you?