The Modding of BCM

TEschenbach

I went and downloaded BCMStudio from Cmdr. Nova's site [very nice job on the site BTW]. All I did was view some of the models so far... but I must say, the BCMStudio program itself is really cool. It should be really easy to reskin the models. I hope it will be just as simple to add new ones (gonna try that soon).

Anyone else out there fixing to make new stuff for BCM once it hits the shelves?

I've had experience modding games, and from the way the directories are set up, and the amount of easily editable file format, when I first checked out everthing I was stunned. Just at a glance you would be able to change any physical appearance, sound effects, models, etc in the game with little or no modding experience. Just short of a TC (total conversion)is possible from what I see as I don't believe you will be able to hack and code the executable. But we'll see.

quote:

Anyone else out there fixing to make new stuff for BCM once it hits the shelves?

Just to give you an idea how moddable this game is, I am going to replace portraits of the entire crew. I'm going to attempt to rename them. I am also going to change the voice-overs with members of my family and friends. So it will be my wife warning of failing shields .

I'm going to come up with a different soundtrack for BCM (have already been working on that) and I'm going to change the 3d AE skins.

Basically I'm not going to tamper with the whole universe, I'm just going to place familiar things in it. I'm considering changing sound effects of lasers and laser appearance as well, but other than that I'm happy with most of the stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

Just to give you an idea how moddable this game is, I am going to replace portraits of the entire crew. I'm going to attempt to rename them. I am also going to change the voice-overs with members of my family and friends. So it will be my wife warning of failing shields .

I'm going to come up with a different soundtrack for BCM (have already been working on that) and I'm going to change the 3d AE skins.

Basically I'm not going to tamper with the whole universe, I'm just going to place familiar things in it. I'm considering changing sound effects of lasers and laser appearance as well, but other than that I'm happy with most of the stuff.

Yep. You can do all of that and more.

Camaro, adding new models to the game is a piece of cake. You just have to be patient and wait for me to release the GBS-II (Game Builder System Spec II) for BCM. It includes an updated version of BCStudio, PTEStudio, the script parser etc. And with update docs and examples one what can be modded and how.

In fact, just in the past few days, the first person weapon structure has been exported to an external INI file. This means that you can now also alter the performance specs for weapons, add new ones etc external to the game itself. e.g. you could create an M16 model, enter the stats etc and have the player and NPCs have access to it.

Mmmm, that $50 is sounding more and more of a bargain... Modding a game genuinely gives it new life. I payed around $40 for Halflife a few years back, and I'm still playing it! And having a ball, I might add.

Sounds interesting...answer me this: How many poly's per ship do you think it can handle and still be stable? Basicly, how many poly's are your current ships on average... I think I may take deemon up on an offer, and turn this puppy into star trek. Heh, like to see acti's BC beat what I'll do to BCM!

---

Well damn, just ignore it all. Can't change race names/appearances/actions. ::sniff:: Man, this game would have been the best type for star trek...oh well hehe still be fun just normal.

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: DOAM ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Camaro, adding new models to the game is a piece of cake. You just have to be patient and wait for me to release the GBS-II (Game Builder System Spec II) for BCM. It includes an updated version of BCStudio, PTEStudio, the script parser etc. And with update docs and examples one what can be
modded
and how.

In fact, just in the past few days, the first person weapon structure has been exported to an external INI file. This means that you can now also alter the performance specs for weapons, add new ones etc external to the game itself. e.g. you could create an M16 model, enter the stats etc and have the player and NPCs have access to it.

I decided to download it so I could tinker around with the files and familiarize myself with the way everything is laid out. I'm glad everything is so wide open [as in not many proprietary formats], unlike Operation Flashpoint for example. Are there going to be a lot of radical changes to BCStudio, or will it still look/work the same way [similar button layout, etc.]?

This should keep me occupied until the game hits the shelves.

Doam, it looks like currently most of the ships are about 500 polygons, give or take a few. How many polygons could be handled would depend on the person's system. I've been able to pull 40 frames per second on average in the E2 demo (pre-gold code), and 290 frames per second in the BCMStudio display. (I have a 1 ghz Athlon Thunderbird (overclocked to 1.2 ghz) and a nVidia GeForce2 vid card.)

I'm sure you could change enough to convince someone that they were playing a Trek game. They'd just have to substitute 'Klingon' for 'Gammulan' in their minds every time they saw it.

quote:

Originally posted by DOAM:

Sounds interesting...answer me this: How many poly's per ship do you think it can handle and still be stable? Basicly, how many poly's are your current ships on average...

There are no limits. If you go creating a 20K poly ship, make sure you have the machine to run it.

As for typical poly counts, it varies with the model. Typically the stations are highest, then carriers, cruisers, transports, fighters etc.

I don't have time to give you poly counts, use BCS for that in conjunction with one of the demos.

quote:

Originally posted by Camaro76:

Are there going to be a lot of radical changes to BCStudio, or will it still look/work the same way [similar button layout, etc.]?

BCS remains unchanged. It needs some minor tweaks and bug fixes, but everything else remains as-is.

NOTE: I deleted your other topic as there was no reason for it. So, please post that ATV link in this topic

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Ah, ok then... I figured I'd keep the stuff I was working on in another thread to avoid cluttering up this one.

Here's an example of how easy it is to reskin a model. If the link doesn't work, try again a little later - it could be Tripod [site host] acting up.

What I did was take pics from this site (machinery link) and 'Photo-chop' them to make a new texture for the ATV. When I'm done I'll put the finished works up on my site so everyone can download them and check them out.

*note to self... remember to include before and after shots*

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: Camaro76 ]

Thanks for the compliments guys. I've updated the page with a before and after shot. The texture is still a work-in-progress at the moment; I haven't had much time lately. Matching up the brown tone on all the parts is a pain in the butt, and there's a bit of stretching going on (mostly noticeable on the front) with the texture mapping. In-game it looks pretty neat though... but I'll put up shots of that once everything is done.

[edit]

While I was working on this, I had some thoughts and a question...

Will Multiplayer allow people to use new skins for their craft [and possibly other assets as well], just like Quake/Tribes/etc. allow personal skins and models? There would be no changing of other asset data... since this in essence would be a mod, and/or upset the balance of the game.

I'm liking the idea of having a corporation (like Intercorp) or 3 that supplies the various races/castes. I'd also like to add androids, robots, and other sci-fi things into the mix (clones, cyborgs, etc.) to add a little more spice. Plus it allows me to add little in-jokes about patches and upgrades.

[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: Camaro76 ]

As long as everyone can use custom skins... that would be cool. They should be easy enough to download since the file sizes are not huge.

I put up an in-game shot of the skin. It's not the greatest... I can't dally around for too long or else I get toasted. Is there a cheat I can use to turn the AI off?

As for it looking like an M1A1... you got that right. The texture set on the reference page I posted earlier was from an unreleased tank game called Golgotha. And I got some other tank pics from sites mentioned in the Operation Flashpoint forums.

When it comes to downloading, file size doesn't really bother me. I could probably download BCM full version overnight. (if it was online)

But there I go, bragging about my connection again.

You can't turn the AI off, but you can write a script where there is no auto generated npc's. Or write a script and make your npc enemy's dummiest ever

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: Papi ]

Question!!! Now, is it possible to create indoor enviroments?

(im talking detailed indoors)

No, ye has to wait for future products

TTFN

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: Carl Burning ]

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: Gallion ]

It depends on how the collision system works... if you made a building with an opening it you might not be able to walk inside it, but only the SC would know for sure.

BTW, it's really easy to add new models to the game... ok, replace the ones already there... I've been altering the static ones for now. I don't want to try anything too fancy like animated stuff yet. Heh... wait 'till you see what I've been up to...

http://flashpoint_ny.tripod.com/bcm1.htm Oops! [see last picture on page]

I tried to replace the pistol with an UZI, and, well... I botched it all up.

When the new BCStudio gets released, will it come with model examples [MAX scene format] again? I'm hoping there will be 1 ship, 1 marine, 1 weapon... they would really be useful in order to check the scale of stuff.

I'm surprised more people aren't modding the game, it's pretty easy, and lots of fun.

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: Camaro76 ]

quote:

I tried to replace the pistol with an UZI, and, well... I botched it all up.

I'd say so.

quote:

When the new BCStudio gets released, will it come with model examples [MAX scene format] again? I'm hoping there will be 1 ship, 1 marine, 1 weapon... they would really be useful in order to check the scale of stuff.

Yes

Success! I put up a new picture showing the UZI in the game. It still sounds like the SCAT and there's nothing coming out the muzzle, but it works, at least. Now, on to a new vehicle...

p.s. I dumped the pics of the ATV re-skin. The site will be re-done into a proper one soon... the pics served their purpose of illustrating the ease of skinning, so they were removed to free up site space.

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: Camaro76 ]

quote:

Success! I put up a new picture showing the UZI in the game. It still sounds like the SCAT and there's nothing coming out the muzzle, but it works, at least.

Did you put in the gun tag? If its missing, thats why it won't fire.

As for sound, look in the DATAITEMMGR.INI file and you will see the name of the sound file used by each weapon. e.g. the SCAT1 uses PFIRE1.WAV which is located in the SOUNDFXFP.ZIP file. So, if you have an Uzi fire sound, just give it the same name and put it in the SOUNDFX or SCRIPTS (or any folder in any of the paths listed in the BCMSETUP.INI file) and it will use the new file instead.

Congratulations!

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]