GBS Modeling

cougarxg1

Hello all, if you have 3d studio max (versions 2.0-3.0 ) and would be interested in converting some models please post here. It would greatly help the modding community (or atleast those with out 2.0 and 3.0 )

Thanks In advance!

I hope you do not mind the thread SC?

[ 08-08-2002, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• 7 months later...

Mano, I dunno what you're trying to do, but going from your enthusiasm over the latest RC version of the GBS-II SDK, I can only guess

Anyway, if you want to create a mod, this is the wrong place to even ask because most of these ladies won't follow through.

If you're working on a mod, I'd be more than willing to help, since you're more credible in terms of following through (well, you are an official tester) on stuff like this.

But since 1.0.08 is not out yet, why don't you start a mod topic in the Beta forum and lets go from there.

I think I have an idea what kind of mod you're trying to create....and I know it involves my new navigate command

quote:

I looked for 3d studio max but is way over of my budget. I found a site with lots of 3DS models

Dunno if this has anything to do with anything but gmax is like a poor mans version of 3d studio max and you can import 3ds files to it and edit em.. I think it might be useful.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

What do you use? Polytrans?

Does this work with the plugin that you provided?

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

But since 1.0.08 is not out yet, why don't you start a mod topic in the Beta forum and lets go from there.

I think I have an idea what kind of mod you're trying to create....and I know it involves my new
navigate
command

Ok, thanks will do that .

quote:

Dunno if this has anything to do with anything but gmax is like a poor mans version of 3d studio max and you can import 3ds files to it and edit em.. I think it might be useful.

--------------------

"The simple things are always hard."

System Profile Info

Thanks Carl, but i've tried this already some time ago. It looks good but it's the exporting to the .3D format that gives me trouble. In the GBS-kit there is a plugin to convert to .3D from .MAX. (i think) Gmax export only to gmax-format or you'll have to buy the developers edition for more and we're back where we started. Unless i'm mistaken but i think the .3D format is specialy for the Battlecruiser series so if i want to use it in the game i'll have to have a .3d object.

The .3D format is unique to BC games and there are no third-party export plugins for it.

If your problem is in going from .MAX to .3D, then you definitely need a copy of MAX2 or MAX3 in order to export the model.

With .3DS models, you have to import them into MAX, save them as .MAX files and then use the plugin to export them to .3D format.

I haven't explored gMax yet because I haven't had time, but I will check it out later this week to see what its about and if I can, see about writing a gMax compliant .3D export plugin.

[ 07-21-2002, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• 3 weeks later...

GMAX *is* 3D Studio Max minus all the neat features and can only export in a certain format (Unless you use third party plugins which are a bit shady on the legality side)

I use Milkshape 3D, it can export to most formats that games today use (half life, quake 3, Jedi Knight 2, etc.)

Milkshape 3D - $20

I actually contacted the author of Milkshape a few days ago, but haven't heard back.

I don't have time to put in support for my .3D file format, so I asked him if he would be interested in doing it, via a plugin or something.

So, if anyone wants to volunteer, let me know and I'll pass long the file format info.

Looks like we can create support in Milkshape via a plugin using their SDK. So, I'll ask Andrei to come up with something soon. This will allow modders to create models in Milkshape and be able to export them to our .3D format. Then use BCStudio to input tags etc.