GBS-II News?

Jigoku San

Whats the word on the GBSII?

Last I remember hearing is the Docs needed to be completed or what not.

I've been playing around with GBS-1 and all the info/ideas was being put up. But it seems that its kinda slowing down...

I just wanna see my insane ideas of missions come to fruitation.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's ready when it's ready and right now it's not ready

Just wait patiently and play more with GBS I.

It's very good training for GBS II.

BTW do you have BC3K free version or boxed 2.x?

I suggest that you use BC3K free version on testing your scripts, because it has debug mode enabled you can accelerate time and make use of HSD etc. so that testing scripts will be easier.

If the GBS-I docs are sufficient to start with (I created a few scripts with help of those docs, and encountered little problems), then I'd welcome GBS-II.

Anyhoo, if any problems arise that cannot be derived from existing sources (GBS-I and the forums), then there's always help to be found right here on the forums.

just my 2 ct.

There's changes that are mentioned in the beta version control and released version control files that you can refer to changes vs. GBS I.

I've made few scripts with it already and I think if you have experience with GBS I you can handle GBS II in some degree too.

quote:

Originally posted by Papi:

There's changes that are mentioned in the beta version control and released version control files that you can refer to changes vs. GBS I.

I've made few scripts with it already and I think if you have experience with GBS I you can handle GBS II in some degree too.

Forgot to mention those VCF's .

I do not have a lot of experience, I just made some scripts to get a feeling for it, but actually, since I got bcm, I seldomly start bc3k anymore. Somehow bcm appeals more . That basically is why I want GBS-II. Not because it can do more than GBS-I but since I can use it with BCM instead of bc3k.

My only second thought would be that releasing it without docs would probably mean that a lot of _unnecessairy_ questions might be asked on the forums. Don't think anyone is very keen on answering those type of questions...

But let's not keep that from releasing GBS-II on that account

From my experience, using a mix of GBS-I docs (+VCF) and example scripts that are provided, you can get quite a lot going. I spent an evening reading the supplied docs and examples and started to experiment. In a few hours I got some vessels doing some kind of tasks. Nothing that you could call a scenario, but more like a few 'feasibility studies'.

[ 02-12-2002, 10:11: Message edited by: Riga ]

OK, I'll pack it all up and upload it sometime this weekend. The GBS-II docs are enough to get you going because I have removed all legacy GBS-1 stuff from it already and included all the new stuff in GBS-II. I'll whip up a quick and dirty script which makes use of the most common commands and include that, along with the GBS-1 docs (for reference).

I tried first time to create a mission zones to the planets and it was much easier than I thought, works like charm with PTEstudio.

Thnx for the great tool SC

My personal favorite weapon if it was in BCM would be the force lance from the Andromeda series. An all around swiss army knife weapon which can fire energy shots from the handheld or retracted position which can also b used as a quarterstaff, bury it on the ground for use as a mortar, and if an enemy manages to 'nab yours he gets a shock which incapacitates him because the weapon is DNA encoded by the owner not to mention it would greatly reduce fatigue factor and increase mobility on those grueling ground assaults. Is it possible to use GBS II to import this over?

How many *&^*& times do I (we) have to say that GBS-II is for campaign/mission scripting ONLY!

GBS-II is NOT a BCM modding tool.

The next twit (if the shoe fits, then wear it) that asks about importing stuff into or modding BCM with GBS-II gets the boot!

TTFN

[ 02-12-2002, 22:30: Message edited by: Gallion ]

hehehe

Ok, now a legitiment GBS-II question. Will it be possible to make sort of a Star Trek style science mission, go to so and so system, beam down so and so to surface loc xxx,xxx, gather info, Learn something your not supposed to know, 4 Stormcarriers enter system, fight like a fool or run for your life...

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr. WeeGee:

hehehe

Ok, now a legitiment GBS-II question. Will it be possible to make sort of a Star Trek style science mission, go to so and so system, beam down so and so to surface loc xxx,xxx, gather info, Learn something your not supposed to know, 4 Stormcarriers enter system, fight like a fool or run for your life...

Yes, but this requires alot of attention to detail on the part of the scriptor.

Missions/Campaigns can be as complex or as mundane as the scriptor wants them to be. I learned the hard way to KISS - YMMV

TTFN

Is GBS II just for space objects? or can you script objects on the planet too? For example, use it to place/create a marine on the ground and make him run a circle...

I know that GBS I didnt allow this, which was my main reason for asking, after I saw the comment above regarding the creation of a 'away mission'.