GBS-II News?

Jigoku San

Here is what I said in another thread

quote:

Lets put it this way, the beta testers have the GBS-II sdk because they know how to use it and they don't harrass me (at least not often) about how it works.

If I had any confidence that this board won't be flooded with tech support nightmares once that tool is released (e.g. some git modding something which a n00b goes and grabs, then nukes his environment), I would have released it, as-is, by now.

As it stands, the decision is up to the testers (especially folks like Gallion, Pugwash, Mano etc who know how to use the various tools in it) to convince me to release it. After all, if I ignore the QA sessions in the GBS thread (which is where they belong), they are the ones who would have to answer them.

So, you folks can ask them. They'll discuss it with me in Area 51 and I'll make a decision based on that. Other than that, I'm not likely to release it to the public as I had originally planned.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Emmett.hendrick:

Usually spoken by Tigger (which is Gallion's Avatar if memory serves)

Yep, Tigger be my Avatar, though I seen a N00b wondering the boards using the same Avatar.

I want to reiterate something that I posted earlier ... GBS-II, IF it is ever released, is for scripting campaigns ONLY!

It is the n00b-ish modding fad that keeps the SC from completing the GBS-II docs. 'Cause there will be a plethora of pleas for help when a n00b hoses his/her environment.

TTFN

quote:

Sir John Falstaff:

I too am eagerly awaiting GBS2.

who needs docs?

If you're a computer person you know how to monkey with settings and then undo your own mess.

Somewhere I have the GBS I docs (what there are of them) printed.

I can sorta read a script but couldn't write one to save my life. It is harder than it looks. Be careful what you wish for.

For those of you asking for the GBS-II, the SC basically told you how you can get it. A few of you didn't listen. Look at the very bottom of my sig....you'll see some lovely italicized characters. Several others on this board have that writing.

Now look a tad lower on the post, see the "Registered Date" section there? Yes, it shows that I've been on these boards for quite a while. Now look at the other folks with italicized writing at the bottom of their posts. Check their registered date and content of their posts (no rubbish, siddown, crap.)

Sensing the connection between the post content, italicized writing, and registered date? Figure it out.

Gotcha.

Stick around.

Only talk about what you know when you know it for sure. In other words, don't talk out your a....hem.

Wait.

Wait.

Wait.

Wait.

Wait.

Ahhhh..

Patience.

A virtue I am impatient to have.

However, I hope that there was no harm done trying to convince SC to put it out sooner. I mean, the squeeky wheel gets the grease, right?

I'm a little hypocritical on the issue of GBS-II

On one hand I'm happy for it to be release so that many new ACM s / scripts can be written and played as per Gallion view a few posts above.

I don't want to see scripts where the assets have been "balanced" / modified by the scripter.

On the other I'm quite happy for someone (but it'll take a team because of the amount of work involved) to make an unofficial, unsupported conversion something like a B5 mod (lets not talk about the copyright issues involved) where the whole universe has been changed.

If a cut down restricted version of GBS-II could be released with the world definition files locked to prevent wholesale tampering then I would push for its release.

The trouble with that idea is I would have to ask the SC to spend time on the changes which I won't (your all saying I just have done ) because he has much more important things to spend his working hours on and what little free time has should be spent with his family.

I've said this before in others posts but I'll say it again it has always puzzled me why so little interest and so few scripts where written with GBS-I

Sorry if this post is a little rushed but I'm 5 minutes late for work probably should of waited until tomorrow to post when I could sit down and organise my thoughts a little better.

quote:

Originally posted by Pugwash:

I've said this before in others posts but I'll say it again it has always puzzled me why so little interest and so few scripts where written with GBS-I

Now you see why I can't even be bothered to release it to the public.