Ship skins

Duncan Idaho

Alright I worked on a "few" more ships, most are simple modifications.

Shiny Aëstrom

Shiny garid

Shiny StormCarrier

Shiny warmonger

Now on "better" stuff

Blood warmonger

Blood warmonger - under

...Nova said it makes him think about ketchup

Peacemonger

Peacemonger - under

Now THAT'S funky

All shots were made in BCS because making them ingame would have took too long, and I was chatting at the same time... but you can certainly imagine

[ 03-04-2002, 23:15: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

How hard is it to make custom skins, or to add to existing skins (ex. to "paint" a name of your ship on it's hull) and what program would you need to make that skin playable in game. All answers apreciated.

Skins : all ship textures are in the /models/textures directory in a bmp format. Modify any of them and you'll see changes everywhere in the game. Don't forget to backup the original files somewhere. Best tools? I can't recommend paint, but a little more professional editor like Paint shop pro, photoshop, corel draw or anything that has a lot of features should be good. Of course don't forget the BC studio, your best friend to know the texture names and to preview the ship.

You'll need your brain and all the patience you can find too, some texture modifications can be a real @$$ job ... the blood / peacemonger textures were the toughest, due to non-quarish areas... which requires complex precision selecting for adjustment parametring... err...whatever

I use Paintshop Pro 7, and Photoshop. Paintshop Pro 7 is prefered for me for these skins, it has more tools than I need for the job, and those tools I do need are very easy to find and use, (unlike Photoshop, which has the tools, if you can find them).

I don't have the model viewer yet, I just finish a skin, and pop into the game to scope it out.

I haven't been putting text, or adding logo's to my ships, didn't think there'd be much interest, and putting a ship name on a ship is only good if it's the right name for the player.

I've got a few more skins, and will probably be making them for ages, but I think I'll stop posting them, seems no one's really interested in having them but me (and the others who're making them now heheh).

Thanks, Krekol, for putting the screens up. I sure appreciate the effort, and space.

Take care!

Idaho

Ok, I probably don't know what I am getting into, actually I really don't know what I am gettin into. I am going to try and "paint" some ships. The next question will be how do I post the shots here when I am done?

Duncan, I have 3ds max 4.0.1 I can model but im not good with textures, maybe I could send you a few models and you could skin them for me? so far iv created a borg sphere <- that wasnt hard lol, another question I know you have to add turrets to it in bcstudio, but after that how do you actually get the model into the game as a selectable ship? or does the game have to be moddded for this?

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

Ok, I probably don't know what I am getting into, actually I really don't know what I am gettin into. I am going to try and "paint" some ships. The next question will be how do I post the shots here when I am done?

1 - You find a website and you put your imges on simple html files

2 - You find yourself someone who owns some kind of the server

quote:

Originally posted by xierxior:

Duncan, I have 3ds max 4.0.1 I can model but im not good with textures, maybe I could send you a few models and you could skin them for me? so far iv created a borg sphere <- that wasnt hard lol, another question I know you have to add turrets to it in bcstudio, but after that how do you actually get the model into the game as a selectable ship? or does the game have to be moddded for this?

Xierxior,

Hmm, this is interesting.

I'd be interested in trying textures for models, (though I've little true experience, my skins for BCM just change the hue for the most part, I kept all the detail the same).

I'd imagine to get the ship into the game, there's likely a 'ship list' file that defines what assets are available. (My first guess is this file is ASSETS.INI, inside BCM's data folder).

As for just how to do it, I'm sure the info required is available, and right in this sub-forum, for that matter.

I hope someone makes a model of the Andromeda Ascendant AND some slip fighters...(Face it, missiles, point defence turrets (PTA!), slip fighters, that ship was MADE for BCM!). That's a ship I'd love to try! (Heheh, I'd have to put all the crew into BCM).

Idaho