Ultra-high resolution Earth Map

Scrivener

I've been tinkering with some BCM textures in my quest to patch together some ultra-mega-high-resolution planet textures. I need help finding an ultra-high resolution satellite map of earth. So far, my searches have been unsuccessful. I'm talking larger than 1600x1200. If anyone finds one, send me an e-mail. Thanks!

Ok, I'm running into a wall. I'm taking a 10800x5400 image and reducing the document size to 1024x512 (Standard planet texture size). That works like a charm until I try to increase the resolution above 72 pixels/inch. Every attempt crashes the game. Are there any files I could tweak to accept larger-sized textures... say, 5400x2700 at 72 pixels/inch? I'm looking for it right now... but hopefully someone will figure it out sooner.

Well, I've managed to scrounge together some new 32bit textures for Earth, Earth's Moon, Mars, and Pluto. Despite the fact that they're still a relatively low 1024x512 @ 72pix/in, they look friggin awesome. I'm considering altering some planet textures to ahve dark sides. I especially want to see the earth with all those lights shining in dark. Hehehe. Still looking for a way to have higher res textures w/o BCM crashing, though.

Check out what I have so far. Just extract these into the "..Battlecruiser Milleniumpte2stetex" folder. You might want to back up your old Earth, Moonp, Mars, and Pluto files first.

http://home.earthlink.net/~oceanwaves/Planets32bit1.zip

[ 03-22-2002, 12:56: Message edited by: Scrivener ]

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

Still looking for a way to have higher res textures w/o BCM crashing, though.

Hasn't it occured to you by now that its not frigging possible to use any texture higher than 1024x512? Whats it going to take to get you realize this? An excorcism?

And if you go and darken the map, you'll get adverse results because - in case you hadn't noticed (I doubt it) - the game automatically darkens one side of the planet map quite fine.

And why is this in this forum? When you first started this topic, I no indication that it had anything to do with BCM.

Moved

[ 03-20-2002, 14:01: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Yeah. I was hoping to find a loophole; some way around it that would let me use higher res images. Keeping the point size at 1024x512, for instance. *shrug* Heh. No buju, though. The darkening was just an idea. Fortunately I realized that it wouldn't work before I put any work into it. I give up.

[ 03-22-2002, 13:02: Message edited by: Scrivener ]

what are you talking about no darkness???

I've landed on earth a few times and it was so dark I couldn't even see where I was going, I had to land with my sensor systems....one time I did it with my map off and I *thought* I was above land...and I wound up going for a swim...

so the planets do go dark...you just gotta go down at the right time