Mod--Anyone want to join in making one?

Guest Boobits

Guest Boobits

I've been playing the game for some time now and I must say I've REALLY enjoyed it. As time passes, I have to be honest here, I'm getting rather.....bored of the same "game" over and over. I need something "fresh" in the mix. Not a total conversion but a mod to replace models and sounds. I have always loved both the Startrek and the Babylon 5 starships, and I think a replacement of the current ship set with either one of the formentioned would be quite a treat. Now I myself have extensive knowlege in the use of 3D model creation and use, after all I do it for a living. I wonder..would anyone be interested in joining me in creating a "mod" for this game. I can do the models...we would need someone with some "programming" knowlege, and a sound engineer to flush out our endevour. Anyways...if anyone have any thoughts on this I would be most happy.

One last thought..I seem to remeber that all the .DLL's have "unique" id tags or soemthing or other...is this something we can bypass?

Topic moved to appropiate forum.

There have been others that thought about modding BCM into something it is not, with that something being a different SciFi Universe - take your pick, they have all been considered. None got any farther than the concept phase.

You will find that support from the community for a BCM mod is there in spirit but lacking in reality.

Why is that? Don't know, mayhaps the would be modders came to their senses and realized just how enormous this type of endeavour really is. For there is more to a mod than just changing models to Star Trek or Babylon5 ship types.

Could it be done? Yes, and it would not take to much time and effort to those that know wtf they are doing. But in the end, when all BCM models are changed to ST or B5 ship types, a player is just playing BCM with a ST or B5 ship model that has all the characteristics and limitations of the original BCM model it replaced. which toi me is nothing more than a whitewash and complete waste of time.

Changing sound Fx is easy, just name the new sound Fx the same name as the existing sound Fx .wav file and plunk it into the sound Fx folder - I do this everytime I reload/reinsall BCM, I cannot stand the default IOD laser fire sound Fx (laser06.wav) it sounds like a pop gun.

TTFN

[ 03-23-2002, 09:27: Message edited by: Gallion ]

Nice idea... BUT!!! BCM cant be modded at the code level. Your restriced to just using the tools supplied by SC (when he releases them). Sorry. As far as I know, this is the intention, and it wont change.

EDIT:: Aww man... You beat me to it as I was writting this Gallion LOL

[ 03-23-2002, 09:32: Message edited by: Roberto ]

Guest Boobits

"here we go again"

Well sorry Derek...your game was fun..but I do need something else to keep my interest.

I did replace those sounds as Gallion wrote.. (whooo!! Those weapon sounds were REALLY starting to grind on me)..thanks =)

Anyways...I've started to make new models. Not much so far..but it's a start. Maybe someone with some creative programming skills could "modify" the game to allow us to change some of the more "core" facets. That way we could do some real modifications to not only the models but also the weapons systems themselves. Anyhoot...I'll go back to my shack and keep making models.

Edited for glaring spelling mistake =P

[ 03-23-2002, 23:04: Message edited by: Boobits ]

quote:

Originally posted by Boobits:

Well sorry Derek...your game was fun..but I do need something else to keep my interest.

Well thats nice. Do carry on and don't let me stop you. Good luck. You're gonna need it. A lot of it.

Guest Boobits

Derek..I get the impression your against people making the so called "mod" for your game system. Why are you so "against" it?? After all..mods in MANY cases have extended the gameplay/shelf life of MANY games. Having a MOD community not only helps us, the gamers, but you the developer. It garnishes more interest in the game itself. I mean, think about it, someone is more apt to buy the game is they know that the reply value is limitless with the different modifications they can do/apply. By shunting the MOD community you not only hurt yourself but you toss aside what could potentially be more customers drawn in. Plus--it could bring in some new idea's that could be applied to future releases.