Wells Mods Released!!

Supreme Cmdr

In what, IMO, is a remarkable feat, a n00b (Adam Wells) with less than 15 posts on the board, in this thread decided to create a model from scratch and for BCM.

Earlier today, he sent me the files, complete with very comprehensive notes on how he wanted this ship. Sure, one or two specs were missing, but thats easily forgiveable.

Using his specs, I modeled his Nova heavy cruiser after the Starcruiser.

Below you will see his specs, verbatim from his email.

At any rate, it took me fifteen minutes to do the following in order to the model into BCM, using GBS-II

1. Add needed tags in BCStudio. The ship was properly created in MAX and according to my modeling guidelines. So, when he had exported it to the .3D format, I didn't have to mess with the mesh at all. All I had to do was add the tags. NOTE also that he cleverly used textures from an existing ship, properly mapped to his model, thereby saving time on having to do unique textures for the Nova craft. Brilliant.
  2. Took a 320x240 screen shot from BCS (and scaled it to 320x200 in PS Pro), named it as nova.bmp and copied it to the GFXFRONTEND folder. This is what you see in the SNG screen when you select this asset - as well as in Logistix
  3. Cloned the starcruiser entry from the ASSETS.INI file, pasted it and changed the values for the new Nova cruiser based on his specs.
  4. Copied the ASSETS.INI file to the SCRIPTS folder and added the MD5 encryption code (which I will remove when GBS-II is released, btw)
  5. Cloned the starcruiser entry from the OBJDEFS.INI and OBJCLASS.SCR files, pasted it and changed the values for the new Nova cruiser based on his specs.
  6. Ran the Prepare GBS tool on all the BCM script files. This way, they are in synch and the Nova craft is available in ROAM and ACM scenarios; and can also be used in TA/IA scripts if needed.
  7. Copied the resulting SCENARIOS.ZIP file to the SCRIPTS folder.
  8. Fired up the game, SNG as Terran/Military...and headed off to Sygan. Where I got a sound beating.

All in all, fifteen minutes well spent. Good job Adam!!

To try out this mod, download the mod file (200K) and unzip (with folders!) into your BCM install folder.

YOU MUST BE RUNNING 1.0.08 RC15 OR HIGHER!!

To remove this mod, delete the following files

code:

GFXFRONTENDnova.bmp

MODELSnova.3d

SCRIPTSassets.ini

SCRIPTSscenarios.zip

The GBS files I modified are in the GBS folder and are not executed by the game. So, you can delete them if you want - or learn from them. Do a search for NOVA.3D in each file to see the entries I added. You can do the same (search) with the ASSETS.INI file.

And just for the effort, I'm going to be inviting you to the 3000AD Beta program, where you will join the likes of Pugwash, Mano et al in learning how to use the GBS-II tools in order that you are able to teach and assist others. I will send you more details about this later.

Here are Adam's specs for the Nova heavy cruiser. Any missing entries (e.g. missile loadout+types, gun+turret shot types etc) are cloned from the starcruiser heavy cruiser.

code:

Though it's notably smaller than a heavy cruiser, obviously that group would make the most sense for it.

Armament (all geomtry is labled according to Documentation conventions, so shouldn't be hard to figure out):

1 Main Gun (you can't miss it on the model... lol.. equal to an average Heavy Cruiser main gun)

3 Twin mounted turrets (6 guns in all, along the same lines as the Questar's turrets stat wise)

2 fixed forward missile pods

Crew:

7 Officers (everybody but RE)

5 Sengineers

1 Fengineer

2 Medics

5 Marines

Capacity for 5 guests and 5 prisoners

Performance:

Hyper Drive: 30 sec Transit Time/30 sec Recharge Time

Max Speed: 1.95 km/sec

Pitch: 18 Degrees/sec

Roll: 22 Degrees/sec

Yaw: 24 Degrees/sec

Protection:

Shield: 750

Armor: 1250

Capacities:

Cargo Bay (x2): 3000 each

Weapons Bay (x2): 1500 each

Radine Tank: 2400

Plutonium Tank: 800

Crafts:

1 Shuttle MkI

Max Radar Range: 55 km

The model is alreay set to scale and pivot points havee been set and tested and everything has been linked logically back to the main body.

[ 09-06-2002, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Adam sent me his Phantom fighter to check out some issues with tagging. I fixed it and decided to go ahead and add it to his first mod. I also changed the name of the file.

I didn't have specs for the fighter, but considering that he actually gave it a pair of underside mounted turrets and twin guns, I decided to model it after the Zenstar super fighter, with identical flight dynamics (Adam can change it at his own leisure) but different weapon loadouts and contrails.

I also added four of them to the BC MK1. So, you can select the BC MK1 in SNG or select the fighter directly from one of the pilot careers.

I didn't have time to take it into battle, but this is what it looks like.

[ 09-06-2002, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

So that means that the ic mk1 has been replaced, or the mk1 has 8 fighters now?

The Ic MK1 has been replaced in the mod by the Phantom. This change is only on the BC MkI, and the ic Mk1 is available for use on any other ship that carries it and to fly in the EFP Career.

Anyways, working on an updated version of the mod that will include unique stats for the Phantom, as well as icons for both the Phantom and the Nova... they currently use icons of existing ships.

Also the rear turret on the Phantom is questionable in operation. It has been set up correctly, but fighters don't have a PTA system so it probably won't do much more than look cool for the time being. Might be fixed in the update, or it might never work at all.

[ 09-07-2002, 03:41 AM: Message edited by: Litvyak ]

Small collage of ingame screen captures of the Phantom available here

That's the updated version I'm working on, but visually similiar to the current release except for the contrails and some minor geometry tweaking.

[ 09-07-2002, 06:07 AM: Message edited by: Litvyak ]

quote:

Originally posted by Litvyak:

Also the rear turret on the Phantom is questionable in operation. It has been set up correctly, but fighters don't have a PTA system so it probably won't do much more than look cool for the time being. Might be fixed in the update, or it might never work at all.

They won't fire because fighters lack the logistics for turret. If change the tags from turret to guns, they will fire on rear inbound targets just like normal guns.

quote:

They won't fire because fighters lack the logistics for turret. If change the tags from turret to guns, they will fire on rear inbound targets just like normal guns.

I had thought about changing the tags, but decided against it. Since they'd be no way to turn off just some of the guns, it would be much more of a liability than an asset. You'd have to watch to ensure there was no friendlies behind you everytime you fired. So, for right now it will just be for aesethic purposes.

heh, you should know that if an NPC gets access to that craft, they will use those guns independently (as guns, turrets or missiles) in much the same way stations do.

The only restrictions placed on their use is wrt the player in manual flight mode.

Create an IA scenario (or mod an existing one) and give an NPC in a combat situation one of those Phantoms and you'll see.

quote:

heh, you should know that if an NPC gets access to that craft, they will use those guns independently (as guns, turrets or missiles) in much the same way stations do.

Awesome! At least somebody gets to use them. Not to mention, judging by the gunnery skills of most AI pilots I've encountered, they could use they extra help

quote:

i on ly have a few things to say.

i have Windows XP and i downloaded BCStudio.

everytime i try to load a ship(Aestrom for example) and suddenly crashes.

is this a bug or just my computer?

Using XP myself, and haven't experianced a crash on 1.39h or 1.39i. If you're not already doing it, you might want to try copying BCStudio.exe and BCStudio.ini to your BCM install directory.

quote:

Originally posted by Litvyak:

quote:

i on ly have a few things to say.

i have Windows XP and i downloaded BCStudio.

everytime i try to load a ship(Aestrom for example) and suddenly crashes.

is this a bug or just my computer?

Using XP myself, and haven't experianced a crash on 1.39h or 1.39i. If you're not already doing it, you might want to try copying BCStudio.exe and BCStudio.ini to your BCM install directory.

ok thanks for the help

Nice mod...

I like that Nova, started up a game as a Gammulan Raider...but no ships to kill

The Phantom though...it seems to have no guns

Was that intended? Did I install it wrong? I moved the zip to the BCM directory, then extracted it, and the Nova worked fine...hmmm...

Then again, did you intend it to be something like a bomber (A-6 Intruder comes to mind, no guns, just bombs).

Then again, the guns could be a glitch on my comp. I downloaded 1.0.08 RC15 and RC 18, installed 15, then 18, from the BCM directory, like I should have...so its gotta be my comp...interesting...

I still sorta like the Phantom though...its fast, manuverable, and if I can get to a planet fast enough, and set waypoints, I could blow up Falkerie bases and stuff.

Good job on the mod though, and keep up the good work.

And since I dont see much use for the FEngineer in the Nova, I just load him into SC1, and keep him on standby to pick up crates...too bad I didn't realize the shuttle from a tourist ship started running towards the base before I HJ'd to it...came out and "Hull integrity breach" and boom... lol

Another thing I found...with uh...the best sheilds, the Nova, when using the Afterburner, and Retro's, can go to almost 4k in speed. I've made a 1200k journey(or was it closer to 2k?) on a planet in a matter of minutes. It was pretty cool going around 10k feet...then getting as low as 6k, and slowly trying to pull up and go down so I didn't over correct and redecorate the nose of my ship. pretty fun.

Anyways, an updated version is up here

A note... it requires some manual installation, refer to the README.txt file for where to stick everything.

Changes:

Geometry corrected on Phantom model

Phantom now has it's own unique specs (documented in html format)

Unique Icons added for both the Phantom and Nova

Changes not documented in README.txt:

Phantoms added to AI controlled BC MkIs

Phantoms added to Earthstar