Updated BCM textures (really big pics ahead)

I'm not sure how this'll fly with the esteemed gentlemen at 3000ad. (if it doesn't, just tell me), but I've started to update some of the textures from BCM. Using a sort of simulated bump-mapping effect I've been able to add a bit more depth to some of the textures, and in the game they actually look quite nice. If anyone's interested in my work, here's a page with two (very large) examples:

Examples

These images are rather large (1024x768), so be patient. Notice the increased depth in the solar panels and nose of the mk3, and the more pronounced depth of the station. Notice also that even flat surfaces now have a distinct pockmarked look to them, more in line with what (I believe) a real space structure would look like after a few months of bombardment by space debris. Also note that these are rather poor examples, and that the effect is more pronounced in person.

Again, I don't want to step on any toes, so if this isn't cool with anyone on the BCM team, especially Mr. Smart, please tell me and I'll do my best to remedy the situation. As for downloading the new texture set, well, give me a while on that.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you check out the examples? If so, what did you think?

PS: In case anybody's wondering, the new textures require no more processing power than before, and are not actually true "bump-mapping", only a rather good similacrum.

I'm uploading pics of a mk2 cruiser and an HAV. They'll be at the above link.

Okay, here they are:

more examples

Here's a hint: use f11 to make IE fullscreen. That should allow you to see more pic at once.

Enjoy. I'm particularly fond of the mk II. I like the really dark, ingrained look of it. I thought that would help to make it look more threatening.

By the way, if anybody has SC's attention, please ask him to check out these pics for me. I'd really like his input.

Note: I just added another example, an Elite Force Marine. I like this one, too.

[ 05-04-2003, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: ob5idian ]

It would appear that my bandwidth has been exceeded. Shame. However, I've got pics of a probe, an ATV (it came out blurry, though, so I'll have to work on it some more), a Nightstar, a Starfighter, and some cityscapes with new, more 3d buildings. I'll keep working, but if anybody's interested in hosting a download or my example pics, I'd be grateful. Also, keep those comments/suggestions coming!

Well, I'm all done. Every ship, character, weapon, building and object has been reskinned, along with new (again, "deeper") ground textures, planet textures, and a few other odd enhancements. If I find somewhere to host it, I'll put the whole shebang up for download in a Zip. Until then, check out the screens on the link above (unless its bandwidth has overflowed again). Again, the new skins aren't exactly revolutionary, but they do help, I think, give the ships a nice, realistic look. Later.

I'd love to show you, but I have no way of hosting the images other than free Tripod, which has a bandwidth limit that's nowhere near enough for these large images. Also, I can't email them more than one or two at a time (hotmail), so unless someone's willing to give me free temporary hosting (only about 10 megs of space), I'm SOL. However, if you feel like being trusting, you can take my word that the new textures look quite nice. Just ask Sebbish. He saw.

I've done every ship, basically, but now I need to go through and sharpen some (mostly the smaller ships), as well as perhaps add other effects, such as gloss or directional spotlights. I'll add pics to the website as soon as I can access it again.

The effect that Epsilon 5 was using is similiar to the one I am, but the effect is much more pronounced in my version; most of all on the stations and largest ships. I've also updated character models, ground textures and the rendered static "station" backgrounds.

On that note: Epsilon 5, would you mind putting up some of my example pics? You wouldn't have to have them on your site, just somewhere that I can link to here in the forums. I'd much appreciate it.

[ 05-05-2003, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: ob5idian ]

Okay, I've signed up for a second Tripod account, and have set up some .zip downloads of a whole bunch of demo shots. The fourth zip has the best pics, I believe, but they all help to give you some idea of the general effect. However, the my bandwidth will run out quickly, so hurry up and download!

Downloads

Note: these are demo images only, not the actual texture download. I'm still not quite finished, and hope to make things perhaps a bit more attractive before offering them up to anybody who'd like to check them out.

And I think there is indeed a Questar in there somewhere .

personally I would suggest masking off certain areas like windows or solar panels then duplicate the background as a new layer and apply the lighting effects and levels on the shadow areas of the copy as well as desaturate it... then do about a 50% opacity and soft light blending on it to prevent it from getting muddled.

[ 05-06-2003, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: Eclipse ]

Actually, Eclipse, that's almost exactly what I'm doing right now, and, indeed, it does make the textures quite a bit clearer. Thanks a lot for the helpful info, though.

I must say, looks very nice indeed.

I may be able to host some of your final texture pakages as well, but we're still setting up the network so I'll get back to you on that. It may take a little while before we get things set up.

Cheers!

Many thanks, Epsilon. I'll give you replacements for those (as the results improve) as soon as I finish skinning.

Thanks as well to Fractux. I'll send word when I'm finished.

Okay, here's the plan. I've taken four shots of the Garid using four different combos of lighting, masking and opacity. They're all in one zip, which you can download here:

Demo shot comparison.

If you've the time, please help me out by downloading the zip (less than 1 meg.), looking at the images, and posting which (a,b,c or d) you like best in this forum. I'd also greatly appreciate any suggestions you can offer. Again, many thanks for your interest, and especially to Epsilon 5 for his generous offer of hosting space.

By the way, Epsilon, how did you get those shots of your textures? I mean, without any shadowing and such.

Thank you again, Epsilon, for hosting this file.

By the way, again, if anyone runs into Mr. Smart, please as him to check out this test. His input would be supremely appreciated.

[ 05-06-2003, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: ob5idian ]

Here's the file

For my textures I only played with brightness and contrast, nothing more. Of course you have to find the right balance. I need to redo my silver-red Zenstar, that was truly a jewel for me, shame I lost it

I simply take the pics in the BCstudio.

As for the pics I like B and C most, the 2 others are a bit too much. As an advice for improvement I suggest you make sure the light sources (engines, windows, etc) stay clear and bright. In picture D it almost looks like you threw the ship in a pool of mud.

Okay, I've just finished updating the Battlecruiser mk.1's skin, and I'm happy enough with the results that I'm going to put the skin up for download. That's right, she's all yours. Here's how to install the skin:

Proceed at your own risk!

BC mk.1 skin

1. Copy your saves to a safe location (just in case something odd happens, which it shouldn't).

2. Go to your BCM install folder (ie: c:/3000ad/Battlecruiser Millenium/) and locate the "models" folder, and within that, the "textures" folder.

2. Copy "bcmk1-1.bmp", "bcmk1-2.bmp", and "bcmk1-3.bmp" to a safe location, ie up a folder.

3. Now, extract the files in the zip with the above names (all the .bmp files, there should be three) to the textures folder. If you're asked whether you want to replace the files, say yes for all three.

4. Start up BCM and start a new game with a Battlecruiser mk.1 as your CC.

5. Press f9 to get an external view, or alt-e to fly around your new ship.

That's it. Easy as pie. Keep in mind that if anything bad should happen to your BCM game (which is somewhere between unlikely and impossible, but still merits mention), you're doing this at your own risk (and remember that Mr. Smart has nothing to do with this modification, so don't even think about asking him to fix things if you or the files screw something up).

Remember, these skins are unfinished, and I still would like any comments you care to offer.

Note: I can only vouch for these skins in BCM. Though they're likely to work with BCMG, no promises. However, if anybody with BCMG would care to try them out, please tell me whether they work or not.