Updated BCM textures (really big pics ahead)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the Garid, I'll vote for the 'd.jpg' as well.

For input wise, all I can say is keep up the good work.

You're making these ships look really amazing

I'll still have to get back to you about hosting those files. I've been busy lately and so has my brother with other things more pressing than our network setup.

Cheers!

Guest $iLk

Ob5idian, I have a static IP through a router and would be willing to host a full texture pack through FTP, but you'd have to give me a couple days notice. That marine pic is sweet as hell.

Just give me a word through email [email protected] if you would like me to host an FTP server for you.

Good news! For the most part, the textures are done, and they're looking damn spiffy, if I may say so myself. I've gotten all of the spaceship, aircraft, space station and character skins out of the way. Now I just need to do some ground base and unit touch-ups. Then, I'll put the whole shebang into three zips (ships, ground textures/units, and "other") and send them off to either $ilk or Epsilon, whoever's willing to host them. If you liked the demo skin, you'll love the real set!

Guest $iLk

Me and EP5 are on each other's MSN so whoever you want to host them is fine, and I'm sure we could duplicate host them for when one of us is offline, the mirror will work. Excellent work if you did ALL the textures. Would be more than happy to host that much effort. Just let me know.

Okay, some people have been asking me how this is done, so I'll try to explain it simply. First, I take the original texture. I then replicate the original image and layer it on top of the original. I isolate and delete from the top layer all light sources, glass or otherwise smooth sections, and anything that shouldn't be given depth. I then isolate the red spectrum of the top layer, and exclude it. I then apply a wide-angle omnidirectional light and gloss layer, for a metallic look. I the reapply the red spectrum. Since the red has not been highlighted, it naturally looks shadowed, as if it were on a lower level than the other parts. The overall effect of this is that the top level looks as if the darker areas are deeper into the image. This also creates a bumpy texture on flat surfaces, where subtle color differences result in small, gradual highlighting. After the top layer has been processed thus, I use a filter to sharpen it. This increased the sense of depth even more. I then make the altered top layer half translucent. This allows the sharper bottom layer to blend with the slightly blurred top layer. This makes the image clearer (a major problem with earlier versions) and the lines more defined. The parts of the top layer that were deleted show through from the bottom layer brightly, giving them the appearance of being immaterial, much as real-life lighting flares are. I then replace the original BCM texture bmp file with the new version, increasing the resolution to 32 bit color. The game then simply applies the skin to the model ingame the same as before, since it can't tell that the texture is different.

That's it. Simple as pie.

Guest $iLk

Let me know how big the pack is. If it's bigger than 5 MB I'll have to set up an FTP for it. Otherwise send it to [email protected]

Give me a day on the FTP (I have to work tonight) and I'll have you the address and password. Will post here again tomorrow when it's set up.

You can try out the demo skin now, if you'd like. It's the same as the one in the full ship pack, and if it works the rest will too. Thanks for the offer.

By the way, I've finished packing the character model/building skins. They haven't really changes since that earlier pic of the marine, so you know what to expect this time. This zip is about 9 meg, so if $ilk is willing to host this one too, I'd be happy to send him one. Not that this package only includes character model skins and new textures for planetary buildings. It can be used with or without the ship skins (and vice versa). I think you'll enjoy these as well.

[ 05-09-2003, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: ob5idian ]

Guest $iLk

Alright Ob5idian. The FTP server is set up, though this is the first time I've done it through a router so let me know if you have any problems.

Connect to 216.231.167.138 with an FTP client.

I've allowed Anonymous Login with ability to upload, but not delete the files.

Guest $iLk

Alright, I'll be at work tonight, but the computer will be running, so once they are uploaded, up to 10 people can connect at once for downloads. Though if you notice that your downloads are slow, it would probably help to scale back number of people connected, because I've given max downstream for you all.

I'm afraid that I'm having trouble uploading. I'd try and fix it, but I have to leave in about an hour, and I'll be gone until tomorrow night. The packs are done, however, so just sit tight. Until tomorrow.

[ 05-09-2003, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: ob5idian ]

Neat! This looks extremely cool, more 'worn'...the original textures look more like what these things would be right out of the hangar, rather than after a few months of getting gutted by suicide fighters (grrr...). Can't wait for the full package. may I ask what software you are using for this?

Sorry. That one's my little secret.

BTW, if anybody can be emailed a ~23 meg file in the next hour or so, tell me here and I might be able to email the pack to you. Then, if you could, you could try and upload it to $ilk's FTP while I'm gone. Sorry to be a drag.

Guest $iLk

I've disabled the idle time out thing. Just in case that was preventing you from uploading. I'll be going to work now, but let me know something if there is more trouble.

Guest $iLk

Pretty sure Photoshop, even if that's not what he's using would be a good bet to do any job you need to do... especially with the plethora of filters.

Some of the textures almost make it look Cell shaded... looks cool.

Not sure what the planet size textures are, but it would be good to try and reskin a few in higher resolution, although that would prevent people with certain video cards from using the high rez textures.

I just got back.

Sorry, I still can't access the FTP, so I'm going to email the packages to Toxic Frog tomorrow. As for the planetary textures, I'm working on it as we (I) speak. Just keep your pants on.

Toxic From, please private message me you email address so I can send the zip to you. I also may try Fractux. Thank you all for your patience.

Guest $iLk

Yeah I've had dozens of connects to it so I'm pretty sure it's working... don't know why you aren't able to though.

If you can't get through it tomorrow I'll try setting it up differently.