BC3000AD ver 2.0 GBS script .

Hi folks,

I just finished putting together a single mission BC3000AD ver 2.0 script. I think it's ready for a test run. If anyone is interested let me know here and I'll e-mail it to you.

Thanks,

Joaquin

• 5 weeks later...

So no one wants to see what it would of been like to see some space marines in Version 2.0? Not interested in rescuing virtually defenseless marines from the wrath of a Syrion? Hmmm.... where have all the oldies gone...? Ah well..

C'mon Eclipse, there's always the keypad controls. I think you would find it challenging to complete the multiple requirements necessary to achieve maximum points. Rescuing the individual marines can be a challenge, especially if you have to do it under fire.

yes there are kybrd commands but some things are just streamlined by the mouse

(BTW, what hole have you been hiding in for the past few years?)

• 2 weeks later...

Eclipse,

I'm professinal development engineer. I get more of a kick out of creating things (software, consumer products, etc.) than using them. I got to the point a while back where I'd rather be programming scripts for this game system than playing it. I haven't found a need to comment on many of the activities. There certainly are enought people doing that anyway.

Don't get me wrong Derek's and his team has done a great job. BCM plays well on it's own and I am sure multiplayer is good. I just think that there is unexploited gaming potential in developing scripts with good story lines that take advantage of the ai environment Derek has created.

I've proven to myself that I can do just about anything I want within the limitations of GBS. I've got a story line. So I guess I'll develop a number of the action sequences in GBS for my own amusement and for anyone else who wants to try them. Of course they'll be ready when they're ready.(Chuckle)

Joaquin

If you're happy with any completed scripts I can always run them through the BCM and BCMG parser for you and create version for BCM and BCMG.

The main differences are the ability to set initial rank / asset /race etc, the naming convention of the 3d files and the planet side mzone scripting.

The 're a few additions / or modification to the instruction set / commands,

I can't remember which if any have been dropped its a long time since I've used GBSI.

Just a few changes I can remember off the top of my head the are probably many more.

ACM_OFF QUIT / ACM_OFF CONTINUE

NAVIGATE

PLAYER_RACE

RELOCATE

RECOVER

RECOVERED

SET_CAREER

SET_CRAFT

SET_RANK

SET_REGION

Some of the new commands are buried in the BCM Version Control File if I remember correctly. Doesn't help if you don't have the GBS but you could study them I suppose.

http://www.3000ad.com/downloads/bcm/bcmvcf.html

Use GBS as the search string because in one instance it's GBS-II Revisions and in another it is GBS parser/interpreter updates

• 2 weeks later...

Pugwash,

I'd have to take a look at my scenario scripting to see which of the commands have changed. I would definitely need to see the results of any changes first hand. As you know, it will take an unknown number of iterations to get it right. You offered to run the script through the BCM parser. What type of a commitment are you willing to make to this process?

Chavik,

Thanks, I've been following the BCM version control file on and off for a while. I noted the changes, but haven't given applying them a thought until this exchange. I'll take a look again.

Joaquin

I don't think it will be such a big deal converting or I wouldn't of offered

Main changes I can see are

.3dc to .3d file name extension change

just a global search and replace.

Allowing enough time for the player to travel to the required locations.

Add any fixed startup parameters for the player if needed

with the INIT_PLAYER, SET_CAREER, SET_CRAFT, SET_RANK, SET_REGION commands.

Change CRUISE and INTERCEPT to NAVIGATE or JUMP if used

I tend to use PLAYER rather than BC, CC, SC, FC

i.e. !DETECT PLAYER rather than !detect bc

but they each have there uses.

depending on how complex / exotic you have made your scripts the may be a few more

I've compared the original BC3K source with the BCM script and you'd be surprised how few changes have been made.

The are 45 differences in tod 1 missions 1-5

46 differences in tod 2 missions 1-5

53 differences in tod 3 missions 1-5

and tod 4 has not been included in the BCM / G version

the differences are mainly name related / file extension changes and not script / command changes.

Pugwash,

Since I kept it basic it looks like allowing enough time for travel may be something that will have to be tweaked. Timing is important in this scenario. The other concerns I have are any differences in the response of the AI to script commands, impact of AI levels on the actors, etc. My impression was that the AI processing was made more efficient. My scripted actors could get wiped out alot faster than I want to keep the action interesting. I'll get back to you when I am ready.