Unable to launch probes from LRT-10

Kamen

The LRT-10 asset cannot launch probes. I have started new games and launched probes from every CC asset to test this and only the LRT-10 is affected by this bug. I am using BCM v1.09.01

Thread topic changed

[ 05-28-2004, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

As I said, I have tested this from every CC asset, including all transports, armed and unarmed. All work fine except the LRT-10. Ive done the legwork on this one SC, but dont take my word for it. Something in my install might be fubared, thats why I posted here. Give it a test run yourself, and lemme know if the problem is with BC or just with my install. If you can start a new game in an LRT-10 and fire off a probe, then the problem is with my install. But at risk of sounding overly defensive, I am not an idiot nor am I new to tracking bugs, please do not dismiss me so casually.

quote:

Originally posted by Kamen:

But at risk of sounding overly defensive, I am not an idiot nor am I new to tracking bugs, please do not dismiss me so casually.

Are you trying to get yourself banned?

Anyway, probe launching in BCM and BCM Gold on transports was disabled by removing the /missile tag used for probes. Obviously LRT10 is the only transport which in fact didn't have this tag. This is because previously, the /pod tag is what was used to launch probes.

In UC (though I am planning on re-enabling this at some point), there are no /missile tags in any transports. So no probe launches.

[ 05-28-2004, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

What I was trying to do is get someone to verify, in game, wether they were seeing what I am seeing.

You are telling me that in my version of BCM, I should not be able to launch probes from ANY transports. However, in my game, I can load and launch from two of them (MRT-15 and LRT-15), and load but not launch from the third (LRT-10). I am trying to understand why, and resolve the issue. I am also curious, what made you decide to disable probe launches on transports at all?

quote:

Originally posted by Kamen:

You are telling me that in my version of BCM, I should not be able to launch probes from ANY transports. However, in my game, I can load and launch from two of them (MRT-15 and LRT-15), and load but not launch from the third (LRT-10). I am trying to understand why, and resolve the issue.

Read what I wrote again.

And while I don't plan on releasing any more patches for BCM Gold (it has reached its End Of Life, EOF, cycle), if I were to release a patch, it would be to correct it so that NO probe launches are possible from transports. And there is no coding involved. All I have to do is delete the missile tags from all transport (except LRT10) model.

There are several other transports you can play with. Pick one.

[ 05-28-2004, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

You guys have got to be goddamn well shitting me.

And DeeplyShrouded, I don't give a toss if Kamen is your brother, sister or boyfriend, please don't register on my site, just to tell me rubbish I have NO interest in.

I have moved this out of tech support.

Anyway, as I was saying above, since I have no plans on releasing another BCM/G patch, anyone who wants to be able to launch probes from the LRT-10, can use GBS-II (included with latest patch) to add a /missile tag to the LRT10.3D model. That is what Kamen (above) ended up doing after reading my post. Unfortunately (as was pointed out to me in PM), when I deleted his post in which he was claiming this to be a bug, asking me why I disabled probe launches from transports etc, I also deleted that part of his post in which he indicated that he had done what I suggested and could launch probes from the LRT10.

So, here are my instructions on how to do it - without having to go through the tedium of creating a new tag.

1. Copy bcstudio.exe and bcstudio.ini from the GBS folder to your game folder.
  2. Make a backup copy of modelslrt10.3d e.g. copy it over to lrt10.bak
  3. Fire up BCS and load the lrt10.3d model
  4. Toggle ON model/tags/primitives so that you can see the tags in the model.
  5. Go to model/tags/taglist and left-click on the /ship:1 tag
  6. In the tagname box, remove the tag name and change it to /missile:0 then click on the SET button and then the OK button. Notice that the /ship:1 tag has now been changed to /missile:0
  7. Go to File/Save and click OK when prompted. Thats it.

The reason for modifying an existing tag is because the transport does not need two /ship vectors. This is there so that if launching shuttles simultaneously, there is no delay i.e. when one shuttle is launching from one tag, another can be launching from the other. With only one tag, the first shuttle has to be launched first before the next one can.

The /missile vector is used for launching missiles and probes. Previously probes were launched via the /pod tag (used for launching escape shuttles when the object is destroyed etc), but this was changed because not all objects require this tag and it was inconsistent in its use.

If you want to prevent transports from using probes (my original intent), then you would load up all the transports (refer to the objdefs.ini file for the .3D model file names) as above, then instead of using the SET button to rename a selected tag, you would use the DEL button to delete the tag, then save the model as indicated above.

Probes are launched using the fire control system, which has power allocation requirements. That particular system was not previously present on transports (since unarmed transports do not have weapon control systems etc) and armed transports do not have missile launchers (only turrets). Thats why I decided to make the change global and not allow any transports to have probes (its not like they need them) which are in fact, military assets. Apparently when the models were done, only the LRT10 (which is what was used to test the inability to launch probes) ended up without this tag. Someone (yours truly) forgot to remove this tag from the other transports once the test was confirmed to work and without any adverse effects.

Thats that.