Product Activation

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

Why are you reformatting every 6 months? The Win 9x days are over. There is no need to refresh Windows that often,
unless its to satisfy some analness aspect of your personality.

But 10 to 12 Win XP reactivations? Sounds like you are swapping a lot of hardware.

Reformatting is defintely going to call for a UCAWA reactivation. EDIT: Actually, I forgot about the manual method. Maybe that would work using an existing hardware code. I'll shut up now, since I really am just guessing.

FYI, I recently swapped out a 9800 Pro for a X850XT PE and didn't need to reactivate UCAWA. I guess it flags BIOS updates though.

~Zing~ on the anal personality. I download/install/uninstall/etc. so much crap that I often have to reformat just to keep from breaking stuff by cleaning my registry.

I have a 200 GB hard drive that I fill up every few weeks... I used to reformat to keep a clean programming environment - but that's not as big of an issue using VMWare.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed I'm waiting to install UCAWA since I'm gonna upgrade my system in a month or two with a serious overhaul.

This way I'll have something like 2 years of zero problems with activations since that is my standard time before the next format.

However SC, how can you say if someone is an upgrader or if he's an abuser....?

Two activations are the standard, I agree but they are not so much so I'm sure you'll be flexible on reissuing CD-keys as you said but I'm sure that you'll check before too.....

OK, I really want to squeeze all the performance I can out of this game (really enjoying it), so I want to install a new soundcard and get away from the onboard sound (I've benchmarked it and it does slow things down.) Seeing as how Spin was able to install a new video card without reactivating, has anyone tried changing sound cards? I'm a bit worried if I do this I'll have to reactivate and will be without my UCAWA fix for a while until I get a new key... any thoughts?

As a side note, if I install a new card and it requires me to reactivate, can I revert back to on-board sound and continue playing until I get a new key?

I already said that I'm pretty flexible in assigning CD-Keys. I will know who the abusers are. For example, Teknocack Prime , in a span of nine days, used up two unique CD-KEYs (four activations). The other day, he sent email to tech support asking for - yet another one - because this time, his motherboard got hosed.

Naturally, he's not getting another one ANYTIME soon; even though he offered to pay for it.

The problem with activations is that if you give out too many, then you find that people can install the game on more than one computer. And each time they use up an activation, I can access the server and take a look at the key to see how/when and from what IP it was activated. This is one of the criteria I use for assigning new keys.

As I said before, after maybe six months or so, I will issue a patch which does away with the activation key or uses a less stringent HW test for invalidating a key.

Even Valve charge ($10 I think) for a new STEAM key. There are TONS and TONS of products (not just games) online which use CD-KEYs etc and they work just fine. We're not yet setup to accept payments for new keys, but I'm going to have that setup next week. But I'm going to be charging $19.99 for each new CD-KEY issued to an abuser. That is still cheaper than buying a new copy of the game.

quote:

Originally posted by DennyMala:

Indeed I'm waiting to install UCAWA since I'm gonna upgrade my system in a month or two with a serious overhaul.

Denny, you're in the Beta program and you can just let me know when you need a new key. No point in not installing the game. Thats just silly.

Ok, so in a moment of weakness I broke my own personal 5 year moratorium against Creative sound cards and bought the Soundblaster X-Fi card.

I'm happy to announce that installing it did not require reactivation, which is good.

Now in a month or two when I upgrade my mobo to PCI-Express and buy a new vid card, I'll be here asking for a new key.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by DennyMala:

Denny, you're in the Beta program and you can just let me know when you need a new key. No point in not installing the game. Thats just silly.

Yeah, sorry it must seem really silly.... I'm freeing space on my system since I'm copleting a couple of projects and then I'll move on installing UCAWA.

• 5 weeks later...

Just curious. I sent an email to cat@3000ad requesting a new key for UCAWA. Wondering if I missed something as I haven't received a reply. I did have a problem with my registration back when I first got the game and am wondering if this is an issue. If I should resend the request let me know or if it just takes more than a few days then please ignore this post.

(I had used up my last activation upgrading the BIOS on my old mobo. Just recently reinstalled windows and upgraded to a new mobo and vid card.. I need to activate!)

There are no such requests in the cat email box.

And CAT has nothing to do with CD-KEYs. That email should go to the support email address and the game in question, as well as your previous CD-KEY, should be mentioned in the email.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Halacon

Strange thing happened to me. I baught and downloaded UC:AWA from Direct2drive about an hour ago. I got a unique CD key from the website and (I admit) Being an idiot I tried to run the game after I'd gotten it installed. For some reason I assumed the game had the patcher built in I dunno why it is late and I've been working all day. When I first started the game a fileplanet screen came up and said the game was activated, strange I thought since I'd never entered the key.

It didn't contain a patcher in game or through start up (obviously) , so I quit and downloaded the patch manually from fileplanet because every time I run the patcher program it crashed (not a big deal) Now I go to try and play the game and the protection system pops up, ah now this makes sense. I enter the CD key I got from Direct2Drive, and it says it is invalid. I go to the website for manual activation, still says it is invalid. Have you had this issue with Direct2Drive yet? If anything I've only activated the game once, and I don't know that patch counts as having to activate it again. I will send my old Cd-Key to the above address for now, if that is the wrong thing to do I'm sorry

heh, you never did read this before patching did you?

Well, you've invalidated the game. So you need to uninstall it. Kill the folder. Re-install the D2D version you bought. It is already the current version and needs no patching. Even when a patch is released, it will be accessible via the Updater program (yeah, there is a shortcut for that too. Dunno how you missed that as well) so that it downloads the D2D version of the patch.

The CD-KEY that D2D gives you is for multiplayer. If you purchased the game, it is automatically authenticated on their server; as you have now discovered. You don't need to enter ANYTHING.

Guest Halacon

Thank you so much. I'm sorry to have wasted your time I tried to read as much as I could (I guess that is also why the updater doesn't work ;P heh) Thank you for responding so fast, and not banning me which I probably deserved. I can't wait to get back to playing again.

• 3 weeks later...