Improper shuttle location on planetary egress

I've been playing for a while in roam mode and have been having crashes on and off (roughly every 15 to 20 minutes.) I can't put my finger on what is causing them though as they seem to be random crashes.

I did see something odd in the Lennen system though.

I set waypoints for my shuttles to go to Moon 01 and deploy mining drones and watched as they flew there. About halfway through their decent I saved the game and then resumed. I switched to Tacops just to watch the system for hostiles while the shuttles returned. The shuttles deployed their drones then re-appeared on screen but at planet Lennen instead of Moon 01.

The game crashed a few seconds later but after a few tries I was able to create a non crashable save and continue my game.

edit: I just tried this again from a fresh game and got the same result.

1 Launch Violon from Borealis as Insurgent.

2 Assign Marines to shuttles

3 make waypoints for shuttles to deploy drones on moon 01

4 launch shuttles and watch them head for waypoints on moon 01

5 observe shuttles on moon 01 heading for waypoints

6 switch to tac-ops

7 give shuttles RTB order

8 watch as they re-enter space at Lennen planet instead of Moon 01.

** note: I did save the game a couple of times during my test run

[ 08-21-2005, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

I remember seeing such an issue when digging old bcm threads,SC said it wasnt affecting gameplay so it remained to this version.Actually I didnt even notice this(I read those threads before getting the game) and totally forgot about it since then.

While they may not be the same(I havent played UCAWA yet) problem,I had a frequent crash problem in UC that I was able to solve by

a)setting virtual memory management to windows controlled(it was set to a higher value manually before)

b)setting sound acceleration to BASIC.

Thought it might help..

quote:

I've been playing for a while in roam mode and have been having crashes on and off (roughly every 15 to 20 minutes.) I can't put my finger on what is causing them though as they seem to be random crashes.

Running on a 64 Bit processor, your guess is as good as mine. While the game does run on 64 Bit machines (I have one), it is NOT supported and is NOT part of the game's sys requirements. Anyway, I will upload a debug EXE to Area51 later this week and if you can reproduce the crash, at least it will give me an idea of where it is occuring. I'm quite certain that any/all crashes of this nature, would be in the video/audio drivers; since they are probably not 64 Bit video/audio drivers

Anyway, I just tried your test and it works just fine. btw, NPC crafts emerging from a planet will usually pick a random planet/moon to emerge from IF there is more than one in the region. This has always been the case and I never got around to doing anything about it because it is non-fatal and doesn't affect the player's egress to space.

quote:

Originally posted by Andergum:

** note: I did save the game a couple of times during my test run

Probably related to an issue (which I just fixed and noted in the VCF) related to saving games with planet set as targets.

[ 08-21-2005, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Wolfheart:

While they may not be the same(I havent played UCAWA yet) problem,I had a frequent crash problem in UC that I was able to solve by

a)setting virtual memory management to windows controlled(it was set to a higher value manually before)

b)setting sound acceleration to BASIC.

Thought it might help..

Thanks for reminding my about the sound accelerqation tip. I set it to basic and it seems to have eliminated the crashing I was having.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

[QB] Running on a 64 Bit processor, your guess is as good as mine.

I had no idea!!

Consider me a 64 bit guinea pig then

Although I'm still running in 32 bit windows XP. I haven't been brave ehough to use the 64 bit version I have sitting on my shelf. (There just aren't enough drivers avail yet)

The sound slider adjustment seems to have eliminated the crashes I was having.

Yeah, I have it running on a 64 Bit machine here and which I tested on 64 Bit Windows. Works fine. But like you said, lack of drivers for more peripherals is making 64 Bit Windows a bit slow on the adoption side. Especially for gaming.

Glad to hear about the sound accel seeming to solve the crashing problem. I suspected as such.