Very Slow Menu Response

When I updated to version 1.00.04, I ended up with REALLY SLOW response to mouse clicks. At first I thought it might be a corrupt saved game, so I tried creating a new one. Same problem, so I tried running Universal Combat (patched to the latest Version) No problem there. Finally I re-applied the 1.00.03 patch and it worked just fine.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

So don't run 1.00.04

Yeah, this is just silly. Besides, wtf is
slow menu response
anyway? And since you're the only one getting it, you're on your own.

Actually I ran some more test using just keyboard commands and it's just slow response from the game when I'm patched to 1.00.04, but if it's just me then I guess there's some sort of conflict or something, I'll figure it out. In the mean time, .03 is working just fine, the only problem I had with that one was the one of the Officer 3d files, but since that one was patched in .04, then I have no issues.

I think that's what I'll do, I keep going back and forth between .03 & .04 and under .04 it almost seems as if it's working under Software Acceleration instead of Hardware Acceleration. I remember this happened to me once before with UT and the way that I resolved it was to delete the VGA Buffer driver to the Motherboard and reinstalled. Then I reinstalled DirectX, but that was before I Got the Radeon, and I'm pretty sure the Radeon doesn't need the Buffer driver to the Motherboard, though I could be Mistaken. In either case the Game works fine under .03 so that's what has me a bit confused. I was thinking of testing it on my other computer, that one has an AMD 2200 Sempron with a Radeon 9000, while this one has a P4 2Ghz with a 9200SE, but I'm not sure if I want to waste the Activation Key, since I'm going to be upgrading this one soon to a 64FX plus I'm changing the Video card to an X800, so I'm sure that will require a Re-Activation of the Game.

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

I think that's what I'll do, I keep going back and forth between .03 & .04 and under .04 it almost seems as if it's working under Software Acceleration instead of Hardware Acceleration.

If its just the menus that are affected, that won't bear any relevance to anything, since they don't use 3D acceleration.

Also, if you invalidate your CD-KEY, you won't get another one without paying $10 for it. You are only allowed to install the game on one computer only and the activation is pretty conservative in what HW changes it will expire the activation (of which you only have two).

Just for the record, I have experienced the same issue and for now, have simply gone back to .03. I would describe it as sluggish input response. Doesn't matter if it's keyboard or mouse, I have to use looooong presses to get anything done.

My video drivers are fresh installs (thanks for the info. Sapphire only has Cat 5.4 so I went to ATI and got 5.8) as I used Driver Cleaner 2 before installing. DirectX was updated upon first install of UCAWA. My hard drive was defragged two days ago.

I wish I knew more about programming. I hate not being able to get my brain around something and having to rely on a workaround but what's a brother gonna do?

It appears as if Darkling and I have wildly different systems so their maaaay be something going on, but you're the brains SC. We're just the brawn.

It's not a huge issue. The important thing is that I can still play with .03 to get my fleet training done. If you have a suggestion for something to try before you start diverting resources please let me know. I know that you have a full plate all the time (man, I honestly don't know how you do it) and can't track down every little anomaly.

Peace and long life brothers.

There's an open item in Area 51. We're looking into it.

I can't possibly imagine why only some people are having it and not others. Odd.

If you've messed with the game's config options (e.g. you enable AA), try using the defaults and see if that changes anything.

Patched back up to .04 and deleted the ucconfig.ini file which set everything to defaults. No change. Still sluggish to respond.

I owe you an apology. I am very sorry that I forgot to mention that if you can get into tacops, then everything is fine. The only time input seems to slow down is in the cockpit or an external view.

Again, I apologize for posting incomplete information.

quote:

Originally posted by Teknocack Prime:

... I forgot to mention that if you can get into tacops, then everything is fine. ...

Just checked mine out and it's the same Issue here. Going into Tacops gives great response, as soon as there's an external view of some sort, then it works very slow.

From what I can see the ONLY thing we have in common with our two systems is that both of us are using the latest ATI Catalyst Drivers, other than that, we have different processors, memory, video cards everything.

I have updated to 5.8. I dunno why my sys profile is showing my BCMG registration instead of my UC one, but that is old and incorrect info. I have updated a few things in the last couple of weeks and those changes are not showing.

Should I email you at your support email address for this issue? I can't find an appropriate thread or forum to start a thread in.

quote:

Originally posted by Teknocack Prime:

I have updated to 5.8. I dunno why my sys profile is showing my BCMG registration instead of my UC one,

Because thats the profile you have in your sig. If you registered three games, you should have three unique profiles; each with its own number (the number at the end of the URL). All you need to do is fine the correct URL for UCAWA and update your sig with it.

As to this slow menu issue; as I said, we're investigating it.

Yeah, still there. After work I am going to reset everything to defaults again and see if that helps this time. There's gotta be something more I can do so I am gonna try.

Calling all guinea pigs

If you have having this issue, download *file deleted* and execute it (it is self-extracting) into your game folder, overwriting the existing files. Then let me know if the problem is solved or not. I reverted to the previous Starforce config as I suspect that this is probably what is causing this on some machines (probably those that are quite possibly overclocked).

[ 09-12-2005, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Do me a favor. If you can't be exact, DON'T POST.

Now we've got that out of the way. Which is it. Did it fix your problem or did it seem to fix your problem. And while you're at it, tell me this. WHAT is the difference in those two statements?

*sheesh*

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Calling all guinea pigs

If you have having this issue, download
and execute it (it is self-extracting) into your game folder, overwriting the existing files. Then let me know if the problem is solved or not. I reverted to the previous Starforce config as I suspect that this is probably what is causing this on some machines (probably those that are quite possibly overclocked).

I'll check it out as soon as I get home tonight, but I can tell you right now, that My system isn't overclocked. I even removed the Rage3D Tweak Utility to see if it would help but it didn't.