Problem with preloading 3d models

Guest Chavis

Then don't use it.

Having a gig of memory is meaningless, since the game uses half that all by itself. If you've been screwing around with Windows virtual memory settings, then it will run out of memory.

But AFAIK, preloading works just fine. The only problem it had, was related to a missing model. That problem also cause IA0113 to crash. This has already been sorted out in 1.00.03.

• 3 weeks later...

Still doesn't work.

How about just load loading the ship and buiding models like in UC?

It works in UC.

(I know....play UC.....I do, but I bought UCAWA)

Plus UC Gold.Dont worry,will also check that out.

It works just fine here. Saying rubbish like still doesn't work sure helps a lot.

If you don't have the memory for it, DON'T use it.

And if you were actually PAYING attention, you would know that there are TWO completely seperate model preload options in UCAWA.

The machine I have that enabled on, only has 1GB of memory. And it works just fine. If there is a problem, you need to run the game in a window and see where it fails.

Basically, it takes FOREVER to load the game with preloading on. And it takes half a long to quit the game (since it has to unload everything again).

Some people go pissing around with Windows memory manager and then wonder why they run into problems. And the fewer programs you have running, the better of course.

• 1 month later...

I have a 3.6GHZ WinXP computer 3 Gigs of mem and an X850 Ati card which has 256mem and I try to do this preloading thing. It's like it's loading from a to z and then quits to desktop. How do you get it to work with 1GB? and I do have windows managing the swap far as I know. I don't go messing with the stuff anyway, figured I had a good enough computer for anything so I don't go messing around. It didn't seem like it was running out of memory when I watched it in window mode. Any more info I could use? I have a nice good maxed out computer far as I'm concerned also up to date drivers and such.So something must be screwy in the way it's handling it. It's defragged also. Any more info you need to know what it could be? Thanks

Update. I've changed an option in my performance options tab in the memory usage box from programs to system cache. Ran the program and now it worked. BUT then I went into the training mission and was flying in to meet the enemys and the game did stop or what people call stutter when it's loading some enemy craft and stuff and then resumes playing. After I shoot down some aircraft all of a sudden it dumps me to desktop. I have NO idea why. I'm still thinking it has to do with this preload thing but you saying it works with 1G and I have 3 is weird. I just wanted a smoother gameplay in which I think I can get. Thanks again!

you are psting a tech support problem, but don't have your system profile in your signature. here is how to do it.

Without a detailed system profile, we have no way of knowing what is causing the problem.

quote:

Originally posted by x-jedi-x:

Update. I've changed an option in my performance options tab in the memory usage box from programs to system cache. Ran the program and now it worked. BUT then I went into the training mission and was flying in to meet the enemys and the game did stop or what people call stutter when it's loading some enemy craft and stuff and then resumes playing. After I shoot down some aircraft all of a sudden it dumps me to desktop. I have NO idea why. I'm still thinking it has to do with this preload thing but you saying it works with 1G and I have 3 is weird. I just wanted a smoother gameplay in which I think I can get. Thanks again!

Preloading doesn't cause a crash. All it does is loads models into memory so that the load times are reduced. So, something is going on with your system.

Make sure you are running with the latest patch.

Make sure you don't post again in a tech support area without registering the game and adding your system info to your forum profile.

ok, specs and all should be in this message I hope, I followed the instructions And concerning "Preloading doesn't cause a crash. All it does is loads models into memory so that the load times are reduced. So, something is going on with your system." What I know is that everything works fine with it off. Even played that whole training mission through and finished it with those options off. But when I turn them on, I get to the enemy base, shoot down some fighters and some enemy ground stuff maybe, I don't really keep track, it'll just then BOOM quit to desktop for an unknown reason, after a few minutes maybe. I don't know if it's like it's loading a 2nd wave of enemies? Because with the options turned off it did that stutter thing again while attacking but didn't quit to desktop. But with them on, I may get to this stutter time while it loads more enemies? and then quits to desktop, like it can't load them anymore? It's hard to tell because it just quits so fast. Thanks for replying anyways. I do have the game and I did have my stuff filled out just not in the signature. I'm a long comeback player from months ago Thanks!

Just played the mission through with em on! All I did before playing it was to put about all of my graphics options in my little control panel to quality instead of performance(why this worked or if it's really the cause I dunno and it's hard to believe cause it should be putting more of a strain on things?)I thought it was going to crash to desktop but it worked, I may just play the mission again to see what happens. It still gives some kind of stutter when loading enemys though. What kind of smoother gameplay is this supposed to give? I'm pretty much ready to play the game as commander. That's why I wanna make sure I can go around with lots of stuff happening. Be smooth play and nice graphics and enjoy the game! And that nothing would go wacky on me when I start my looooong campaign

Using the performance settings instead of quality settings has been known to cause stability problems with ati cards.

Can you be a little more specific than ati agp in your profile?

Ok it's updated with somemore info. Again so far though I don't have any problems with it CTD anymore after I messed with those options. Only things I can say something about the game being weird is the little stutter when it's loading some enemies. And for some reason my joystick that I use, instead of it going left and right when I go left and right, it rotates the ship. And then when I twist the joystick it'll turn the ship left and right. I have no idea what driver the joystick has. I couldn't find it but the computer recognizes it as I posted. I also couldn't find a driver for it online to update it either if need be. I can goto my settings and calibrate it ok. All functions work properly, it's weird :/

quote:

Originally posted by x-jedi-x:

And for some reason my joystick that I use, instead of it going left and right when I go left and right, it rotates the ship. And then when I twist the joystick it'll turn the ship left and right.

The joystick works like any actual aircraft control stick. Pushing left-right activates the ailerons, causing the craft to roll. If you have a Z-axis, it replaces the rudder, which yaws the craft left and right.

Thanks, So it's supposed to be this way huh? Is it possible to change it? It's annoying to me. Otherwise I'll deal with it. Also is there a way to take off this tunnel like graphics when you're in hyperdrive? I did this before with this game or a previous one. Can't remember which. Atleast now I'm enjoying the game without CTDs which is GREAT!

• 6 months later...

I wasnt going too post this question as this computer is having technical problems anyway and my new one is being shipped but i thought i would ask any.

when I start the game anytime i try too go too a panet or start a ground mission i get CTD and i had preload 3d models on could it be im overloading the memory? the system specs are all current only exceptions are directX is the newest out there and my vid card is a nvidia 5500 256meg i didnt update the info as im waiting for the new computer first then i will update system specs as needed.

and thank you for the many years of a fun game, played my first BC when i found it as shareware also Ralph "major havoc" hilton says hello.

well when i first bought ucawa the preload was working thats why i think its the computer. its why i wasnt going too post anything about this at first but i was having ucawa withdrawls and thought id ask anyway sorry i wasted your time, new computer should be here in next week and a half all will be good then.