Game resume and restore issues in 1.00.12 final version

Hello All,

I have UCAWA 1.00.12 (Feb 17) patch installed. Having a problem with saved games. Here's the details.

I have a ROAM No NPC Generation game started where I was in Lyrius region (Syrius system). I had just crossed the jumpgate to Lennen which is hostile territory. I wanted to practice some combat on the base and ship located there so I launched 2 fighters and saved the game (via System menu TLM and choosing Quit and Save Game)

Upon restoring the game, whether it be via Resume or Restore buttons in the main menu, I should be in Lennen ready for combat. However my CC is back in Lyrius and my 2 fighters are listed as deployed as indicated by the white squares in the Fighters TLM. Clicking on one of the deployed fighters in the TLM reveals no command menu for orders, etc. I re-enter Lennen to see if the fighters are there. No luck. There is just blank menus for each of the deployed fighters in the TLM with the exception of the "COMMS ON" area. The fighters are not on radar nor listed under any "Support Units" filter.

I'm curious if anyone has experienced this. Either with the missing fighters or the CC restoring to the previous region prior to the save. I've searched the forums and can't seem to find any details. I apologize in advance if this has been covered elsewhere previously.

Thank you for any input you may have.

[ 02-19-2006, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Thats just not possible. In fact, I just tried it and it works just fine. You probably didn't save the game, or you are using cheats and have a corrupt game etc etc.

There is nothing wrong with the resume/restore and it hasn't been touched since, well, 1994 actually.

Send in your saved game to [email protected] (or upload to a server for download) and I'll take a look.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

You probably didn't save the game,

Thanks for the quick reply.

If I didn't save the game, would it have remembered that the 2 fighters were deployed prior to save?

This was the first save in the scenario.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

or you are using cheats and have a corrupt game etc etc.

I never use cheats for this or any other game. Cheating defeats the purpose of a challenging game.

I wasn't insinuating that there was anything wrong with the code or source files. I'm just having a problem and was seeking input from anyone who may have experienced it before. I'm not saying that the game is messed up or anything, it could be my install. Possibly me adding the latest patch over the interim, I don't know, I'm just looking for help.

I've duplicated this successfully several times now.

Here is the progression of updates since install.

- After install, upgraded to 1.00.11

- Upgraded to 1.00.12.05 interim.

- Upgraded to 1.00.12 final (Feb 17)

This is the first that I've had this problem. And it happens every time I save with deployed crafts.

Here is the download link to the save game.

Note about the game save: A shuttle is listed as destroyed due to a crash on a moon while deploying a drone. My marines only have their shuttle craft learner's permit.

Again, thank you for the quick reply. I appreciate you taking a look at it.

[ 02-18-2006, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: eyequeue ]

I reproduced it with your saved game as well as with a new game.

This is quite odd and I think its related to the compiler (we just switched from VS6 to VC2005 .Net in this update).

I'm going to look into it right now. Standby.

EDIT: OK, this has nothing to do with the compiler, as I was just able to reproduce this with a VS6 build.

How come this is the first time I'm learning of this? Given that we had no less than six .12 updates and ample time to test it?

Well, probably we all tried new games each update and noone used the save restore function...we were last focused on instant action scenarios.....sort of embarassing....

An update on this issue.

I have started a new roam game and again went to Lyrius in the Syrius system. Saved the game. Resumed and headed to Earth. I landed the CC on Earth and exited the craft. Saved the game here by going to Tacops in FP mode and choosing "Command" TLM and "Save And Quit Game."

When I resumed the game, My CC was again back in Lyrius! And the funny thing is that the commander (AE) is listed as being on Earth! (Verified by going to Tactical > Crew and Commander listing says "Earth" instead of "On Station."

You can get your AE back in the ship by using exit craft command. Your AE will appear outside the ship. Upon re-entering the ship, all is OK except I'm still way back in Lyrius again! So it won't save the game correctly while on the planet either. I don't know if the game considers the AE a "Deployed Unit" or not.

So there's not only the issue of the deployed units not restoring. It's also the AE, and planetside saves. There's also the issue of the CC being restored to the location of the previous saved game and not saving the new location.

OK, that sounds pretty serious. Lets do this

[*]Make a backup of your UCAWA install folder

[*]Uninstall the game

[*]Reinstall the game

[*]If you are using the Starforce version. download the 1.00.11 patch (its the first file in the list). If you are using the Direct2Drive version, you can download the patch here

[*]Copy the patch into the game folder and execute it.

[*]Copy the saved game you are using, from the UCAWA back up folder to the new install folder

[*]Run the tests again and let me know if you get the same results.

[*]When done, just delete the new game install folder (no need to run the uninstaller in Control Panel) and rename your UCAWA backup folder. This will bring you back to your current .12 version.

What I'm trying to do is figure out when this issue started. If it was in .11, released a month ago, it would have been reported; but I just need to be sure.

The results are in... *Drumroll*

Version 1.00.11 works flawlessly. Restores the game exactly where you left off complete with deployed support craft.

Planet saves worked flawlessly as well, restoring the game to the exact location where it was saved.

The problem lies in the latest 1.00.12 patch Commander.

I've found the problem. As I suspected, it has to do with the new compiler and how it handles streams. That particular information required for the .sav file is not being written to in some instances if the saved game info is a first run. The symptoms are the result of both issues you have reported.

Fix coming up later.