CTD during OTS Detonation

Ok I think I've got my sig right, please let me know if I don't and I'll be happy to fix it.

I've searched high and low and can't find a similar issue on the forums, I'm hoping someone can tell me what's up with this issue, I used to play the orignal UC and the old BCMG back ages ago, so I fired up UCAWA, and I always had trouble with it feezing on my old system so I put it to rest it was a well known issue with some games on my particular chipset (VIA...).

My 'new' system should have no such issues, and indeed the game runs fine with only the ocassional crash when windows is too slow addressing my swap file, so I manually made it bigger, I know this causes other issues, but it's better than crashing every 6 hours when you forget to save

I got pretty far into it, 5 days, having fun, decided to load up on some OTS missiles, flew over to a planet, and launched one...

I watch it fall in the spectator view it throws you in, and it hits and I get 'target destroyed' and then CTD, windows tells me there was 'an error and Universal Combat A Wolrd Apart' etc....had to shut down, with some memory addreses, and of course no useful information for me. I figured ok, maybe my card doesn't like rendering the boom, so I hit F1 next time to return to the bridge...no change, target destroyed then CTD, same lack of information, yay for windows...

so I boot it up, fly to a different planet, try again, same effect, try jumping away after launching...same effect, I try planetfalling while the missile is dropping so it can't even try to change to spectator view...same effect...

So obviously my system isn't liking something that's being done when an OTS blows up...

Somebody please help, I really want to bomb a base and do some damage, but it's impossible when it crashes to desktop each time...

Run the cardtester.exe program in the game folder. That card may not meet minimum specs.

Edit: I just checked the supported cards list and you should be ok. This problem sounds familiar for some reason though....

quote:

Originally posted by Case:

Run the cardtester.exe program in the game folder. That card may not meet minimum specs.

Edit: I just checked the supported cards list and you should be ok. This problem sounds familiar for some reason though....

shoulda mentioned, first thing I checked was card tester, I'm more than qualified to run the game specs wise

If you can reproduce it then prep everything ready for launch. Select a target etc etc. Then save the game and send us the saved game profile to look at to [email protected]

There is a thread here explaining what files make up the saved game and what to send.

And you better do it asap because the 1.00.16 patch is due out next week to coincide with the release of UCSE. So if there is a bug which can be reproduced, it can be rolled into 1.00.16.

I take it that nobody else has such issues with OTS detonation?

just tried it myself, no CTD here

Started new roam game with no NPC autogeneration,

headed back to galcom HQ and docked,

unloaded and sold everything in the ship's stores,

bought a tanix OTS

jumped to earth, selecting to not enter the atmosphere

activated TacOps, zoomed in on a raider base, selected ODS then Tanix, aimed and launched at the base

follwed the ODS all the way in via F10,

automatically switched to spectator view, watched the OTS drop and destroy the base, switched back to bridgeview via F1 and carried on as normal.

In your system profile it says Intel 4 1.8 GHz. Is that correct? In which case, that would be below the minimum system requirements.

I suspect that it could either be a graphics or audio issue.

Try lowering the acceleration on your audio card and see.

Also make sure you have the latest video drivers for your card.

Also, anyone who goes and tinker with their swap file, not knowing how to do it, is asking for trouble. With 2GB of memory, Windows should be allow ed to manage the swap file. This does not cause any Windows crashes. It is when you incorrectly set a fixed swap file, that problems start to occur.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I suspect that it could either be a graphics or audio issue.

Try lowering the acceleration on your audio card and see.

Also make sure you have the latest video drivers for your card.

Also, anyone who goes and tinker with their swap file, not knowing how to do it, is asking for trouble. With 2GB of memory, Windows should be allow ed to manage the swap file. This does not cause any Windows crashes. It is when you incorrectly set a fixed swap file, that problems start to occur.

It's only 1.8 Native, it's actually OC'd, but it didn't ask me that

Anyways, I dropped the audio acceleration and that solved it, thanks SC! It must be something flakey about this particular SB Live! Card. Keep up the good work Sir.

• 5 weeks later...

If a solution is already posted in the thread, please refrain from further posting and just do as the thread indicates.

There are zero problems in the game, regarding OTS detonation. So, update your drivers, read the FAQ etc.

the problem is sound blaster live. I have this card as well and got a ctd in that same mission. You get random crashes at any point with this sound card. The drivers are no longer updated, so with all the changing DirectX and what not, the video card drivers are keeping up if you have a new card, but someone like me with an ati x800xt has no business with a shoddy live card in the PC.