suggestions for problem on my side

I keep crashing at a point in the game and its related to my computer but I cannot find the problem.

Hey to anyone that can provide insight. I think I need a broad base to help me.

Other persons have tested my saved game and it works fine for them. But I've tried everything and I cannot ascertain what on my computer is causing the problem. So even though it isn't a problem with UC itself, maybe someone who had a similar problem will have a fix and the only way to know is to post here.

In a campagne mission Im on a planet and keep exiting to desktop about 1 minute or more after I load the saved game. Nothing particular happens at the time when I crash, at least not that I can see, and I don't DO anything myself either, it crashes if I just leave it.

I've tried turning off NPC guns, ive tried the /x parameter, I've tried dropping my sound acceleration slider at each level, ive disabled the explorer.exe bar and run the game...

I believe it has to do with my sound card or drivers, because it is a sound blaster live 24 bit, and the faq says these cards have trouble and the drivers aren't being updated.

I shut down all programs running in the background, the virus scanner...

is there any settings anyone can suggest I try?

thanks in advance

I doubt that it has anything to do with your sound card. But since the saved game works on other people's computers, then its definitely not the game and is probably something else.

What is curious is at what point does it fail? Did you try running it in a Window to see the error message? Are you patched correctly? Because if you are not and the game is attempting to load an asset which does not exist, is a corrupted file etc, that could also happen.

Have you tried copying the saved game to a temp folder and installing+patching from scratch, then copying the saved game back and running it?

quote:

What is curious is at what point does it fail? Did you try running it in a Window to see the error message? Are you patched correctly? Because if you are not and the game is attempting to load an asset which does not exist, is a corrupted file etc, that could also happen.

The error message is ucawa.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. it includes all the normal error information in the diaglogue box in a text file which it prompts to send to MS for an error support? Is it this information you need?

Currently this is a fresh install with the full patch 1.00.17 from file front.

I have also tried patching only to 1.00.16 on fresh installs, and it exits still.