Sony PSP

This is definitely a day one purchase for me. Though I have a GameBoy (not the Advance, as that was just a rip-off), I am going to pass on the Nintendo DS and get the PSP instead.

From the press release:

quote:

PSP Enters Japanese Market on 12 December at 20,790 Yen

Tokyo, October 27, 2004 ÔÇô Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI), announced today that it would release its new handheld video game system, PSPTM (PlayStationTMPortable) (PSP-1000), on December 12, 2004, at a recommended retail price of 19,800 yen excluding tax (20,790 yen including tax) for the Japanese market.

With high-quality graphics processing capability equivalent to that of PlayStation 2, in addition to rich stereo sound, PSP offers the joy of playing full-scale 3D-CG games and viewing high resolution video images anytime, anywhere.

Equipped with a wireless LAN feature (IEEE802.11b), PSP enables users to connect to the Internet through access points, making it possible for users to download game characters and content and also to play games on-line with families, friends and on-line community members. For a more intimate gaming experience, a maximum of 16 PSP systems can be connected wirelessly through the ad-hoc mode allowing family and friends to create an instant yet powerful local on-line entertainment community (*1).

PSP features an integrated high output lithium-ion battery that provides play time of between 4 and 6 hours for game titles and continuous 4 to 5 hours for video viewing. (SCEI actual measurement) (*2)

With PSP, the world of PlayStation, people's most favorite platform, is further enhanced. A 4.3 inch wide 16:9 high resolution LCD screen, the largest in a handheld gaming device, creates a personal environment in which to enjoy games, music and video anytime, anywhere, with a dynamism that has never been possible before.

To accompany the launch of the PSP system, a total of 21 game titles from SCE and third party software developers and publishers will be released by the end of this year. In addition to these titles, over 100 exciting new titles are currently in development. Innovative titles using the unique features of PSP, as well as PSP versions of hit titles that have been the drivers of the PlayStation platform will continuously be introduced.

Entertainment software of an entirely new category mixing game, music and video on a single UMD® is expected to be released in spring 2005, further enriching the world of PSP.

With PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and PSP, SCEI will continue to expand the market and create a new world of computer entertainment.

(*1) Complies with IEEE802.11b. Typical indoor range of approx. 30m at 11Mbps and approx. 91m at 1Mbps. Typical outdoor range of approx. 120m at 11Mbps and approx. 460m at 1Mbps. However, places with obstacles and strong electromagnetic waves, range may become narrower or transmission may be cut.

(*2) Measurement conditions: display luminance set to maximum (180 cd/m2) and minimum (80 cd/m2) while volume is set to half of the maximum level, headphone in use and wireless LAN not in use.

PSPTM (PlayStation®Portable) Basic Specifications and Features

Product Name PSPTM (PlayStation®Portable)

Color Black

Product Code PSP-1000

Recommended Retail Price 19,800 yen (20,790 yen tax inclusive)

Dimensions Approximately 170mm (W) x 23mm (H) x 74mm (D)

Weight Approximately 280g (including battery)

CPU PSP CPU (System clock frequency 1~333MHz)

Main Memory 32MB

Embedded DRAM 4MB

Display 4.3 inch, 16:9 Wide screen TFT LCD

480 x 272 pixel, 16.77 million colors

Maximum luminance 180 / 130 / 80cd/m2 (when using battery pack)

Maximum luminance 200 / 180 / 80cd/m2 (when using AC adaptor)

Sound Built-in stereo speakers

Main Input/Output IEEE 802.11b (Wi-Fi)

USB 2.0 (mini-
B)

Memory Stick PRO DuoTM

IrDA

IR Remote (SIRCS)

Main Connectors Memory Stick DuoTM Slot

USB connector

DC OUT connector

DC IN 5V connector

Headset connector

Keys/Switches Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)

Analog Stick

Enter keys (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)

Left, Right buttons x 1

START button, SELECT button, HOME button x 1

POWER/HOLD switch x 1

Display button, Sound button, Volume +/- buttons x 1

Wireless LAN switch (ON/OFF) x 1

OPEN latch (UMD) x 1

Power Lithium-ion Battery

AC Adaptor

Disc Drive UMD Drive (Read only)

Profile PSP Game

UMD Audio (profile name TBD)

UMD Video (profile name TBD)

Codec Video: H.264 / AVC MP Level3

Audio: ATRAC3plusTM?MP3

Security (Encryption) 128bit AES

(Copyright protection technology) MagicGateTM

Access control Region, Parental Control

Wireless communications Infrastructure mode

Ad hoc mode (connection up to 16 consoles)

Supplied accessories

AC adaptor

Battery pack

Separately Sold Accessories

Product Name Memory Stick DuoTM

Product Code PSP-M32

Recommended Retail Price 2,800 yen (2,940 yen tax inclusive)

Specifications Copyright protection technology : MagicGateTM

Capacity: 32MB

Dimensions: Approximately 20mm (W) x 1.6mm (H) x 31mm (D)

Weight: Approximately 2g

Product Name AC adaptor (for PSPTM)

Product Code PSP-100

Recommended Retail Price 3,500 yen (3,675 yen tax inclusive)

Specifications Rated input voltage : 100V - 240V 50/60Hz

Rated voltage/electrical current output : 5V / 2.0A

Dimensions: Approximately 76mm (W) x 22mm (H) x 46mm (D)

Weight: Approximately 44g

Product Name Battery pack (for PSPTM)

Product Code PSP-110

Recommended Retail Price 4,800 yen (5,040 yen tax inclusive)

Specifications Voltage/Capacity : 3.6V/1800mAh

Dimensions: Approximately 52mm (W) x 12.5mm (H) x 36mm (D)

Weight: Approximately 44g

Product Name Headphone with remote control (for PSPTM)

Product Code PSP-140(W)

Recommended Retail Price 2,800 yen (2,940 yen tax inclusive)

Color White

Specifications Remote Control : Play/Pause, FF, FR, Volume +/-, Hold switch

Headphone : In-the-ear type headphone

Product Name Soft case and hand strap (for PSPTM)

Product Code PSP-170(
B)

Color Soft case: Black

Hand strap: White

Recommended Retail Price 2,000 yen (2,100 yen tax inclusive)

Specifications

Soft case:

Dimensions: Approximately 195mm (W) x 7.5mm (H) x 108mm (D)

Hand strap:

Dimensions: Approximately 189mm (W) x 3.3mm (H) x 9mm (D)

Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.

[ 03-25-2005, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• 3 months later...

Sony PlayStation Portable is almost here!

quote:

By MAY WONG, AP Technology Writer

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Sony Corp said Thursday it will release the PlayStation Portable in North America on March 24 and have 1 million units ready for sale in the first week.

The PSP machine, a challenger to Nintendo (news - web sites) Co.'s long-standing grip on the handheld video gaming market, will be sold as a "value pack" for $250 in the United States and for $300 Canadian dollars. It will include numerous accessories and ÔÇö for the first million sold ÔÇö a copy of the "Spider-Man 2" movie on the new Universal Media Disc format that Sony designed for the PSP.

Sony said it has already shipped 800,000 PSPs in Japan, where it went on sale on Dec. 12 for about $190.

By comparison, Nintendo's newest product, the Nintendo DS sells for $150. It was among the must-have Christmas gadgets, with more than 2.8 million sold worldwide since its release in late November.

The PSP is designed, however, with more multimedia features. It can play digital music, movies and display photos on its 4.3-inch color screen, using Sony's proprietary 1.8-gigabyte UMD discs or a Memory Stick.

With the PSP, the Tokyo-based electronics giant is targeting a wider consumer base and not just young gamers.

"It has gaming at its core, but it's not a gaming device. It's an entertainment device," Kaz Hirai, the president of Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. said in an interview.

In addition to working with its own Sony Pictures film division, Sony is in discussions with other movie studios to support the new UMD format for future releases of movies, Hirai said.

Sony said 24 game titles will be available around the time of the launch with prices starting at $40 each.

According to market research firm DFC Intelligence, the DS and PSP are expected to drive the global portable games market from $3.9 billion in 2003 to $11.1 billion in 2007. The overall global video game industry saw sales of about $23 billion in 2003.

Hard-core gamers will propel the initial sales of the PSP, analysts say. Its unique combination of gaming and multimedia features in a 7-inch by 3-inch device that also has Wi-Fi wireless connectivity, could spur a new market for Sony, however.

"When it comes to entertainment, Sony has advantages over other players in the market," said P.J. McNealy, analyst at American Technology Research. "But success drives imitation, and if this thing is a wildly successful platform, you'll see knockoffs by the holidays in 2006."

• 1 month later...

So, who got there's yet? I'm off to grab mine later today, with these games.

Need For Speed - Underground Rivals

FIFA 2005

Metal Gear Acid

Ridge Racer

Twisted Metal Headon

For more PSP goodness, following these links

Comprehensive review on ShackNews

Official PSP launch thread on Shacknews. Very informative. Fanbois only

Official PSP dev forums

Convert your videos to PSP format using PSP Video 9

Connect your PSP to the net using XBconnect

Upcoming PSP games

Sample PSP converted movies and movie conversion howto on SonyStyle

GameSpot PCP accessory guide/spotlight

[ 03-28-2005, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

I saw a stream of the Spiderman2 movie and it was the BOMB!I understand that PSP ships with SM2 as well as a game.I NEVER was interested in Gameboy; with the smallscreen it felt too much like a toy. I held the PSP in a local GameStop and the heft and craftsmanship is more akin to high end electronics than a kiddie toy. I am so there!

I got mine yesterday with Dynasty Warriors and all ive got to say is . Im really not that much of a portable guy (the only one ive ever bought until now was the game boy pocket when it came out) but the psp is just.... wow. Ive never owned a handheld that can do all this crap---I swear if it just had a touchscreen then it would be a PDA.

It just blows my mind how far we have come since the game boy pocket. By the way, has anyone tried the multiplayer yet? I hear only one person has to have the game and the rest only have to be in range. Those who dont have the game act as 'controllers plugged into the console' until they go out of range.

I don't believe any of the currently available games support 1-title multiplayer. You still ned to have your own copies. EAs definately don't, and their blatant cover 'misprint' dosnt help their case either. But I digress.

I've got:

Wipeout Pure

Twisted metal

Gretzky

NBA

Ape Escape

World Tour Soccer - Awesome!

Untold Legends - Double awesome!

Just waiting for my friend to pick me up a 1GB Memory Stick Duo from his work so I can start putting full movies on there. $99 plus employee discount (likely $5), good deal

Also - some games may allow you to remove the disc and continue playing. SO you can use the disc to start the game on two systems for playing MP (swap the disc after the game starts). Dont know which games you can do this with just yet tho.

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

World Tour Soccer - Awesome!

Pah! You should see Fifa 2005; it'll make you wish never bought that.

Untold Legends - Double awesome!

quote:

Just waiting for my friend to pick me up a 1GB Memory Stick Duo from his work so I can start putting full movies on there. $99 plus employee discount (likely $5), good deal

Where the hell are they seeling those for $99 bucks?!?! All prices I've seen thus far, are like $150-$175 for 1GB.

Who said I bought it? I work for SCEA, after all. Free stuff is the best part of the job

Only game I actually paid for there was Untold Legends, and it's great. Now I want to get Lumines. I keep hearing nothing but good things about it.

I also have Archer Macleans Mercury on preorder. Now I want that game BAD. Tempt me not with Fifa, devil! Only so much money, you know... and I'm not terribly happy with EAs puke politics buisness strategies. Not to mention I have to drop $250 for the Clash of Kings Limited Edition book next week too. Hopefully this next paycheck is pretty big. I need it.

I just picked up Lumines and Metal Gear Ac!d. The bank account is writhing in agony right now. Both are just awesome. Lumines is kinda like Tetris, but timing and foresight is everything. And your blocks of colors arent solid, they slide along other blocks filling in gaps.

Metal Gear is a turn-based tactical strategy like XCom or Incubation. I can see myself playing this one a LOT. It's supposed to have multiplayer too, but I dont see the option in the menu.

got mine launch day, with ridge racer, untold legends, and ape escape. been having a blast with all of them. i dont even like racing games, but RR is still fun

SC as for 1gb memory stick, everyone is sold out, but iv seen online retails with it as cheap as like $110 and as high as $220, iv got one backorder for $117 (for the Sandisk non gaming model)

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

I have just got one and its freaking AWESOME!!!

without a doubt one of the coolest things of all time.

Now (and i am being dead serious here) we need a version of Universal Combat for it. Its not even debateable. A solar system or 2 and a handfull of ships/vehicles, some missions and free roam and multiplayer for up to 4 people duking it out on the couch.

This little Gem is *so* dead on perfect for a smaller contained version of BC/UC its not even funny. A awesome solo experience for an awesome solo game system.

(wether it gets one or not is debatable, i am only saying that logically its a no brainer)

quote:

Originally posted by Hellbinder:

Now (and i am being dead serious here) we need a version of Universal Combat for it. Its not even debateable. A solar system or 2 and a handfull of ships/vehicles, some missions and free roam and multiplayer for up to 4 people duking it out on the couch.

I'm just wondering if you woke up from your dream yet.

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

quote:

Originally posted by Hellbinder:

I'm just wondering if you woke up from your dream yet.

Yeah, thats what I want to know.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Oh Come on Man you *KNOW* that Idea Rocks

(now if only i had a ton of cash to throw at you to fund a little venture like that.. obviously i'm not awake yet )

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Games i own now..

Lumines

Tony Hawk

Ape Escape

NBA

NFL Street 2

Twisted metal

I am going to return twisted metal today as it *Sucks*.. I think I will go ahead and get Metal Gear Acid. Even though the Card System thing really bothers me.

What do you guys suggest? Untold Legends, Metal Gear, or Dynasty Warriors. I hav eactually never played a single game of the dynasty warriors series.

Games on by absolutely to purchace list over the next 6 weeks.

Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim (OH YEAH BABY!!!)

Rengoku: The Tower of Purgatory

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith

Advent Shadow